Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Pellet Storage
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:20 pm 

YepYep wrote:
HuskyDude wrote:
YepYep wrote:
It looks like my metal box will do well

I like that idea. Specially the water tight seal.
I'm using a Makita Silver drill carrying case(10"x10"x8).
It's not quite big enough for all my ammo but does okay for transporting what I need for the day.
Do you have a link where you bought yours?
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/fat50-calibre-ammo-box/A-p8510075e

I bought it from the PA on HWY 401 and Mc.Cowan ( near Scarborough town center ). There were 2 there, after I picked one, only one last remained. This is the new product, others in the shop looks like the real surplus, used and with some rust here or there....

Sent from my LG cellphone

You can get them on sale. Like I said check out surplus stores. PA ammo cans are kinda on the $$$ side.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:41 pm 

After Ark closed, really have no idea where we still have some other this type of stores nearby in Toronto area...

The other reason I like to buy this new one is there are about 20 different sizes metal ammo box in the PA the day I brought this one home, due to the full metal construction, and not stainless steel, those other kinds all have rust on it... I am afraid anything I would find from the surplus stores would be similar... Don't want to get a rust one home, and do the sanding/ painting job before I can use it...

It's some kind of a bit expensive for almost 50$ after tax for such a simple metal box, but in the other hand, it's just 2 tins of pellets and not really a big money while comparing to our other expense... And the quality is very good actually, heavy thick metal plates and everything fits well, cap closed very tight... So you can see the review for this stuff is 5 stars rating. Of course if we would buy it on sale would be prefect ~ [emoji16][emoji16]

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:47 pm 

YepYep wrote:
After Ark closed, really have no idea where we still have some other this type of stores nearby in Toronto area...

The other reason I like to buy this new one is there are about 20 different sizes metal ammo box in the PA the day I brought this one home, due to the full metal construction, and not stainless steel, those other kinds all have rust on it... I am afraid anything I would find from the surplus stores would be similar... Don't want to get a rust one home, and do the sanding/ painting job before I can use it...

It's some kind of a bit expensive for almost 50$ after tax for such a simple metal box, but in the other hand, it's just 2 tins of pellets and not really a big money while comparing to our other expense... And the quality is very good actually, heavy thick metal plates and everything fits well, cap closed very tight... So you can see the review for this stuff is 5 stars rating. Of course if we would buy it on sale would be prefect ~ [emoji16][emoji16]

I picked up a brand new one for 10$.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:37 pm 

............ Don't telk us this... I feel upset now... [emoji24][emoji24]

And you should pickup more and put for sell in the forum as member benifits... I think lots of members will buy that from you for 30$...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:41 pm 

YepYep wrote:
............ Don't telk us this... I feel upset now... [emoji24][emoji24]

And you should pickup more and put for sell in the forum as member benifits... I think lots of members will buy that from you for 30$...

I bought mine a decade ago. And doesn't matter the exterior of the ammo can, If the seal is good. Inside will be perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:31 pm 

If guns are under 500FPS why would you have to lock pellets?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 pm 
Site Moderator

wheeliehd wrote:
If guns are under 500FPS why would you have to lock pellets?

You don't have to lock up pellets or any ammunition. If you have PAL rated airguns then the ammo has to be made "not readily accessible" or else locked up with the firearm or locked up separately in the same area. If you have PAL firearms then you can store your ammo, unlocked, in a different area that is not readily accessible. If you only have non-PAL airguns then this firearms regulation doesn't apply; however, other sections in the Criminal Code require you to take reasonable precautions for safety.

Non-PAL airguns - "These air guns are exempt from the specific safe storage, transportation and handling requirements set out in the regulations supporting the Firearms Act. However, the Criminal Code requires that reasonable precautions be taken to use, carry, handle, store, transport and ship them in a safe and secure manner."
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulatio ... 1.html#h-3

Storage of Non-Restricted Firearms
5 (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if
(a) it is unloaded;
(b) it is
(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device
(ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, o
(iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and
(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulatio ... 1.html#h-3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:31 pm 

I searched the firearms act and, the criminal code and the explosives acts for definitions. The firearms act search didn't give me a definition but the criminal code says:

84 (1) In this Part,

ammunition means a cartridge containing a projectile designed to be discharged from a firearm and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a caseless cartridge and a shot shell; (munitions)

The explosives act contains this:

13. (1) “Ammunition” means an explosive of any class when enclosed in a case or contrivance or otherwise adapted or prepared so as to form a cartridge or charge for small arms, cannon, any other weapon, or for blasting, or so as to form any safety or other fuse for blasting or shells, or so as to form any tube for firing explosives, or so as to form a percussion cap, detonator, shell, torpedo, war rocket or other contrivance other than a firework.

The firearms act does state:

Authorization to transfer ammunition to individuals

25 A person may transfer ammunition that is not prohibited ammunition to an individual only if the individual

(a) until January 1, 2001, holds a licence authorizing him or her to possess firearms or a prescribed document; or

(b) after January 1, 2001, holds a licence authorizing him or her to possess firearms.

Given all this and the fact that pellets, BB's, CO2 cartridges, high pressure air tanks and refills etc. don't require a PAL to purchase I would hazard a guess that what we use in airguns doesn't legally qualify as ammunition. Storing it safely still makes sense though so I do keep things separated and locked up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:25 pm 

Pellets and BB's are not ammunition and you can store them any way you like.
To purchase ammunition, you need a PAL.

You can purchase without a PAL:
Pellets and BB's
Shot
Bullets
Casings
Primers
Primed casings.
Black powder
Smokeless powder.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:08 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:

Pellets and BB's ( just need to be 18 years old )
Shot
Bullets
Casings
Primers
Primed casings.
Black powder
Smokeless powder.

Some places require you to have a PAL to purchase these items. A lot of the big reloading places require it now.

Budget reloading - ALL POWDER PURCHASERS MUST PROVIDE A VALID PAL # & BIRTHDATE ON ACCOUNT.

X reload requires a PAL # at checkout.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:14 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
paddyfritz wrote:

Pellets and BB's ( just need to be 18 years old )
Shot
Bullets
Casings
Primers
Primed casings.
Black powder
Smokeless powder.

Some places require you to have a PAL to purchase these items. A lot of the big reloading places require it now.

Budget reloading - ALL POWDER PURCHASERS MUST PROVIDE A VALID PAL # & BIRTHDATE ON ACCOUNT.

X reload requires a PAL # at checkout.

If asked, most will also tell you gov photo ID is fine. They just want proof of age.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:10 pm 

Pellets, BB's and CO2 cartridges don't have to be secured like firearm ammunition.
In theory non-PAL airguns don't need to be locked up either but it's the smart responsible thing to do.

You know one time while buying pellets in a WalMart I was asked for proof of age.
I guess he was required to ask me for it.
FYI: I turned eighteen in 1977
LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:29 am 

paddyfritz wrote:

Pellets and BB's
Shot
Bullets
Casings
Primers
Primed casings.
Black powder
Smokeless powder.

You can add percussion caps & shotshell wads to the list as well.