Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: CO2 and Sodastream
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:29 pm 

I've got a Hammerli 850 non-pal rated .22 coming in the mail that I purchased from a member here...

I hadn't considered a CO2 rifle before, but after seeing the listing, it had me intrigued. Being non-PAL rated is a plus as I haven't had time to do the course yet.

Last Father's Day, I got a soda stream, which uses compressed CO2 to turn your tap/Brita/R.O. water into soda water. I've been drinking soda water more to wean myself off diet pop.

Anyways, retail packaged CO2 can be very expensive. 14oz refills from SodaStream cost 19.99 at retailers (CT/Walmart) etc. The 90g (3oz) cylinders that the Hammerli take are $21.50 for 2 at my local CT.

Sodastream retail - $1.43/oz
JT 90g cylinders - $3.58/oz

We were going through a 14oz CO2 tank about every 2-3 weeks, so I was looking for cost saving measures. The local paintball place filled sodastream bottles for $10/bottle which cut my cost in half.

Last fall, I purchased a 20lb CO2 tank with siphon tube from a local gas/fire extinquisher place, and a basic 2 valve refill station for my Sodastream bottle. The setup cost me about $300 as I already had a digital scale. Anyways I was able to get about 15lbs of CO2 out of that 1st tank (had problems getting the 17th Sodastream bottle to fill more more than a couple oz at a time even when freezing the empty bottle before hand), and had to take the tank back to the supplier to get refilled, even with 5lbs of CO2 in the bottom of the tank... I have ideas for tank #2 to get more co2 out of the tank... A 20lb fill cost $36. I have a neighbor and a co-worker who also like sodastream, so I fill their empties for $7/bottle. Payback for the CO2 tank should be about 12-18months...

9oz Paintball tank fill - $5 at local Paintball place - price per oz with Paintball bottle - $0.56/oz
(cost per shot about $0.01 if you believe 500 shots per paintball bottle)

cost of liquid CO2 if you can get 15lbs out of a 20lb tank ($36/240oz) = $0.15/oz

The paintball fitting to do my own refills is $40..... If I shoot alot, I'll go that route.

Attachments:
20170916_115535[1].jpg
20170916_115535[1].jpg [ 136.44 KiB | Viewed 2394 times ]

Post subject: Re: CO2 and Sodastream
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:56 am 

Nice setup! Thanks for sharing. Which way were you thinking of going with the fitting for the 9oz paintball tank? I guess you could put a soda stream adapter on the paintball tank and fill from your present fill station, then just take the fitting off before plugging into the gun. Here's a sodastream to paintball adapter SPUNKY SodaStream Co2 Tank Paintball Canister Refill Adapter Co2 Conversion
http://s.aliexpress.com/VNNbEN7v?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard
(from AliExpress Android)

If you bought this slide check and quick disconnect nipple you could just switch out the Asa and forget about the paintball to soda stream adapter and be able to save all the co2 on your line.
New Paintball PCP Charging Hose Stainless Steel Slide Check With Quick Disconnect And Male Fill Adapter For Coil Remote Hose
http://s.aliexpress.com/6VrEbINn?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard
(you'd just discard the black piece and use that fill nipple on your soda stream Asa to attach your hose with the slide check valve quick disconnect, then switch over to this paintball Asa valve for your 9 oz tank)
New Paintball PCP Remote Hose Fill Adapter CO2 HPA Adapter On/Off ASA Large Knob (BLACK)
http://s.aliexpress.com/ArIbaI7Z?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard
Paintball Air Gun Airsoft PCP 8mm Male Quick Disconnect Fitting/Adaptor fill nipple 1/8 NPT Threads free shipping
http://s.aliexpress.com/Inq2I3AV?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 am 

I hadn't thought of a sodastream to paintball adapter.... Might do that.

I was going to go for another full hose setup, but your suggestions warrant some consideration....

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:58 am 

I noticed your CO2 fill has a RED handle on the bleed valve . This is usually for a 300WOG valve . This translates to 300PSI Water Oil or GAS . This could eventually grenade . I would change it to a 1200WOG to be safe . Just a heads up !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:56 am 

Thanks

I bought it off my cousins on ebay....

I'll investigate the valves.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:38 pm 

pelsby wrote:
I noticed your CO2 fill has a RED handle on the bleed valve . This is usually for a 300WOG valve . This translates to 300PSI Water Oil or GAS . This could eventually grenade . I would change it to a 1200WOG to be safe . Just a heads up !
You called it.

I've done about 30 fills with my eBay sourced sodastream filler, and one of the red handle valves has started leaking.

I've found some online that will do 1000psi WOG, but don't want to buy 25 of them at $14 each.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:54 pm 

Nice. I refill propane camp bottles off a BBQ tank for my Airsoft pistols. Weigh them so they don't over fill. Anything one can do to make it safely cheaper. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:21 pm 

It is not leaking you need to be concerned about . It might explode the brass housing . It could be a spectacular .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:49 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
Nice. I refill propane camp bottles off a BBQ tank for my Airsoft pistols. Weigh them so they don't over fill. Anything one can do to make it safely cheaper. CHEERS!
Yeah, I've changed my weigh scale a bit, and I cut open a plastic 2L orange juice jug so the canister can sit inside it.

Empty co2 bottle goes in the freezer for a couple hours. I also have a jug of windshield washer fluid in there. The temperature of that freezer is somewhere around - 15F depending on what I measure.

Plastic orange juice jug gets filled about 2/3rds full of cold windshield washer fluid, and the cold empty co2 bottle goes in. The tare weight gets zeroed out on the scale and the temperature difference really helps get a quicker/fuller fill.

I hope that this helps me be able to transfer out more co2 from my supply tank. The 1st tank, I was only able to transfer about 15lbs out of the tank. I had to take it in to get refilled because I couldn't get the last 5lbs out anymore. Each time I tried filling, I could only transfer a couple Oz at a time.