Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:36 pm 

Hey guys,

Finally got around to shooting my slavia with the milk jug crosman pointed, after first testing, I found my groups were really not at all what I was used to using the CZ standard pellets, I thought that maybe it just didn't like these pellets, but by altering and trying some different holds, I managed to bring average groups right back to what I was used to, Is it common for a rifle to behave differently with different pellets? or was I just so out of practice I needed to get back into form? It seemed to me that the crosmans require a much lighter hold to shoot accurately...

Thanks!

-Nick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:43 pm 

backyard blaster wrote:
Hey guys,

Is it common for a rifle to behave differently with different pellets?
-Nick

is there a big difference in the weight of the pellets you used? I would assume the hold sensitivity issue would be worse with heavier pellets as they take longer to leave the barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:12 pm 

One_shot_one_kill wrote:
is there a big difference in the weight of the pellets you used? I would assume the hold sensitivity issue would be worse with heavier pellets as they take longer to leave the barrel.

Don't know :shock: :lol: don't own a scale, and for the life of me I can't find any documentation on the internet about the weight of the CZ's... Crosmans claim an average weight of 7.4 grains, so if someone knows the weight of the CZs, then I guess we can know for sure!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:44 pm 

send em my way, i'll tell you what they weigh :P

If they are roughly the same size, it's probably just in your head, one just likes your slavia barrel more than the other.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:39 am 

Pellet weight is just one factor of many that can affect the hold sensitivity of a springer, and/or POI, with different pellets.

The alloy of the pellet can make a difference, even with pellets of identical weight - harder alloys such as Crosman Premiers will shoot differently than JSB Exacts, which are a softer alloy.

The fit of the pellet in the bore will also affect hold sensitivity - a loose fitting pellet will result in a different reaction to the firing cycle than a tighter fitting pellet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:09 pm 

Suprmatic wrote:
Pellet weight is just one factor of many that can affect the hold sensitivity of a springer, and/or POI, with different pellets.

The alloy of the pellet can make a difference, even with pellets of identical weight - harder alloys such as Crosman Premiers will shoot differently than JSB Exacts, which are a softer alloy.

The fit of the pellet in the bore will also affect hold sensitivity - a loose fitting pellet will result in a different reaction to the firing cycle than a tighter fitting pellet.

Agreed! I have found both grouping and POI to be different using a wide range of pellets, with approximately the same hold. Curiously, I find less difference between different brands of the same pellet type, for example wadcutters at 13.5-14.3 grains, do about the same grouping and POI, whereas the superdomes and other domed pellets have much different POI and grouping than wadcutters, and pointed pellets simply suck for target. But it is still the most fun I have had in winter for the past 30 years! :lol:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:03 pm 

backyard blaster wrote:
Hey guys,

Finally got around to shooting my slavia with the milk jug crosman pointed, after first testing, I found my groups were really not at all what I was used to using the CZ standard pellets, I thought that maybe it just didn't like these pellets, but by altering and trying some different holds, I managed to bring average groups right back to what I was used to, Is it common for a rifle to behave differently with different pellets? or was I just so out of practice I needed to get back into form? It seemed to me that the crosmans require a much lighter hold to shoot accurately...

Thanks!

-Nick

I would not consider a Slavia a hold sensitive shooter. It likely will prefer one pellet over another not uncommon.
Good shooting technique is a must with exagerated follow through for best results.
How well do you shoot other airguns?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:

I would not consider a Slavia a hold sensitive shooter. It likely will prefer one pellet over another not uncommon.
Good shooting technique is a must with exagerated follow through for best results.
How well do you shoot other airguns?

I consider myself pretty good for what experience I have, and I have found the slavia to be actually pretty sensitive... even if my fingers and palm are just lightly gripping it, it will open up my 50' groups to about an inch, from the usual sub 0.50" I'm used to when really trying... with the CZ's I could normally get away with a relatively tight grip on the pistol grip, but with the crosmans to get the groups I'm used to, I have to float it as much as possible on both hands...

From what experience I have with springers (limited... maybe 7 or so in my lifetime ) I am a pretty good shot... and I CAN hold very good groups with the new pellets, I just wanted to know if it was natural for guns to have different needs with different pellets.

@ Supr, thanks for the info, I think I know whats going on now.