Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hw97 questions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:01 pm 

I have an Hw97k [pal] that I want to do a bit of informal 10m targeting with. I understand that 10m ssps run about 560-580fps for best accuracy with wadcutters. Is that speed also optimal for springers? Older 10m springers usually run over 600fps, I think. I upped a cz631 to 600fps [aprx] with no apparent loss of accuracy, but I have no idea what would be best. I can cut down a PAL-rated spring or perhaps space up a non-pal. Other options include importing a German 6 joule spring, not sure if that is the same as our non-pal version. Final option would be to get vortec to cut me a proper spring. The least expensive option is preferable, if workable. Are there any cheap stocks [such as chinese side-levers] that could be easily modified to fit the HW? Ideally, I need a beater stock for full-power pesting and field/bush outings, and one to hack up [modify!] with an adjustable cheekpiece and buttpad. Arthritis [arggh] means that the stock wood doesn't quite fit me, but I want to retain it in case I ever have to sell it[unlikely!] Lots of experience here, and I may have misconceptions, that need to be corrected, so any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Post subject: Re: Hw97 questions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:13 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

this might put you on the right track..

http://www.network54.com/Forum/543831/t ... ----------

Post subject: Re: Hw97 questions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:23 pm 

Thanks for the link, dr nick. Less felt recoil on a springer would certainly improve accuracy. What I am trying to find out is if the 560-580fps that is considered to be the best speed for a wadcutter @ 10m, would also be the optimum pellet speed for a springer. The older 10m springers seem to all shoot in the + 600fps range. I wonder if the type of powerplant [ ssp, hpa, springer, c02] has an effect on the optimum speed of match pellets @ 10m?