Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:03 pm 

I'm wondering if anybody here has tried liquid silicone in the squeeze containers to make seals. Buddy Mike figures that by taking the gasket (I think that's what it's called), putting a thin collar of plastic around it in the manner of a souffle collar, and pouring in the silicone and letting it solidify, that a custom seal could be made this way.

We're gonna try it, unless somebody here says that they have and it's a waste of time. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:20 pm 

Many years ago, I ordered a small bottle of silicon oil from Air Rifle Headquarters in West Virginia. It was in a clear probably 2oz bottle. It was recommended as a chamber oil and was supposed to protect leather and rubber seals. I should still have it around here somewhere but have been unable to find it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:30 pm 

moltogordo wrote:
I'm wondering if anybody here has tried liquid silicone in the squeeze containers to make seals. Buddy Mike figures that by taking the gasket (I think that's what it's called), putting a thin collar of plastic around it in the manner of a souffle collar, and pouring in the silicone and letting it solidify, that a custom seal could be made this way.

We're gonna try it, unless somebody here says that they have and it's a waste of time. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Not advisable - I have seen the (failed) results of it's use.
That silicone is far too soft to be effective as an airgun seal and if the seal is in a dynamic application, it will tear up quickly.

Some of these mixes also contain chemicals that will attack some non-ferrous metals.
I found out the hard way, in a non-airgun application.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:55 pm 

Len, can you then suggest the material that I can make it from? I doubt I'd be able to find a replacement seal, and I know I'll have to make others in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:20 pm 

I just read the question again and realize what you were asking.

I agree that type of silicon would be too soft for air gun seals. I wonder if the washers for water hoses would be too large. I have seen them made of different materials, some seem similar to neoprene.

Maybe off topic a bit but one can often find materials which work for other than their intended purpose.

I made a set of grips for a small .22 auto from the plastic in an old TV set. It turned out to be absolutely perfect for the purpose. That was around 10 years ago and the grips are still in A1 condition and that is the gun I carry daily when walking around the yard or local woods.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:21 pm 

Yarddog wrote:
I made a set of grips for a small .22 auto from the plastic in an old TV set. It turned out to be absolutely perfect for the purpose. That was around 10 years ago and the grips are still in A1 condition and that is the gun I carry daily when walking around the yard or local woods.

Pics?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:33 pm 

moltogordo wrote:
Len, can you then suggest the material that I can make it from? I doubt I'd be able to find a replacement seal, and I know I'll have to make others in the future.

Different applications require different seal materials.
As you suggested in another thread, an old innertube would work for use with air, as on that pumper of yours.

I have a variety of different materials on hand, depending on the vintage of the gun, and the motive force.
Leather, neoprene rubber, butyl rubber, polyurethane, etc. Hardness of the synthetics ranges from around 60 DU to 95 DU.
For air, you can generally get by with 70 DU rubber, whereas, for CO2, the 90 DU Urethane is best. For "dual fuel", you would use the 90 DU seals.

What kind of seal are you looking to make, and what is the application?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:36 pm 

Yarddog wrote:
.... a small .22 auto ......... that is the gun I carry daily when walking around the yard or local woods.

Those of us living north of the 49th envy you. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:13 pm 

Arachnid wrote:
Yarddog wrote:

Pics?

The pistol is a MAP or Manufacture d'ames des Pyranees. Also known as Unique Model L. It is made in France and despite it's looks is a very high quality gun. If you check Fjestads book you will notice it is also an expensive. one. I got it used maybe 30 years ago. The plastic grips eventually cracked. OK I am no craftsman but they work perfectly.

Yes, I spray painted the slide to reduce reflections and put a spot of dayglo lime on the front sight. Not what you would want for target but just right for game. The gun is in .22LR and has never failed to feed, extract and eject. It is as reliable as it is possible to make a .22.

In those years it has accounted for numerous Rattlers, Cottonmouths, Copperheads rats, etc. Just perfect for putting in your back pocket.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:16 pm 

Yarddog wrote:
I just read the question again and realize what you were asking.

I agree that type of silicon would be too soft for air gun seals. I wonder if the washers for water hoses would be too large. I have seen them made of different materials, some seem similar to neoprene.

Maybe off topic a bit but one can often find materials which work for other than their intended purpose.

I thought your felony conviction was why you turned to airguns?
how then are you able to 'carry' around a PB pistol?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:19 pm 

The other side.

No I beat the rap and the coppers never got a conviction so I can still carry.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:19 pm 

Silicone is soft, tears apart easily and is very aggressive on parts. I would avoid it...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:38 pm 

Suprmatic wrote:

What kind of seal are you looking to make, and what is the application?

Seal in the air tube of my B5-10:

The "nays" have made me put the silicone back in the basement cabinet. Thanks! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:39 pm 

are you in the states yarddog?

Dave[/color]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:47 pm 

Gordo, what is the approximate diameter of the hole?

I live in the Florida Panhandle.