Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:33 pm 

Sorry for those that will be upset about this topic reappearing for the 100th time but there has been another question in a post today about the legality of replica. Now I will copy here a couple of quotes of the latest memorandum that you can find in the FAQ section of the Replica airguns web site. It might I hope close that line of questioning once and for all as the law seems quite clear.

Memorandum 19-13-2 of the Canada Border Service agency
dated of January 23 of 2013

50. For a device to be a replica firearm it must meet all three requirements:
(a) it cannot be a firearm, meaning it does not discharge a projectile with sufficient energy to cause serious bodily injury or death to a person. If the device is a firearm, then it cannot be a replica firearm (and vice versa);
(b) Airsoft guns and certain types of paintball guns or markers may qualify as a replica firearm, if the muzzle velocity of the projectile does not cause serious bodily harm and their external features are clearly designed to resemble a specific and readily identifiable make and model of a firearm. To be considered a firearm, within the meaning of s. 2 of the Criminal Code, an airsoft gun must have a muzzle velocity in excess of 111.6 meters per second (366 feet per second).

...The following goods generally do not meet the definition of prohibited weapon, and thus do not fall under tariff item 9898.00.00. Their misuse may nonetheless be punishable under other laws:
(a) an air gun or BB/pellet gun that resembles a real make and model of a firearm may not be a replica firearm if it is an “uncontrolled” firearm (see “Uncontrolled” firearms).

Elsewhere in the memorandum you read that airguns firing under 500fps are uncontrolled firearms. So I hope it is now clear to everybody that a Umarex Beretta 92fs, for instance is an uncontrolled firearm and being a firearm it cannot be a replica firearm.

Cheers

Gilbert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:04 pm 

Sticky please. I for one am tired of this topic coming up all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:07 pm 

:roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:44 pm 

"To hopefully end once and for all those replica questions"

Ha. Fat Chance. :rolleyes: I'm throwing in with paddyfritz for a sticky. Nice thought, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:13 pm 

I REALLY did not want to annoy people with this thread. On the contrary I wanted to end the questions on that topic.
My intentions were good

Gilbert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:53 pm 

We know that! :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:40 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:

Yes please!!!

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:18 pm 

DocGadget wrote:
paddyfritz wrote:

Yes please!!!

With all due respect to the 4K+ posters and long-term contributors on this forum (I'm a newbie old fart to this group), if my assumption that we're in a regeneration phase of the airgun sport, we might see questions such as these again and again from interested hobbyists who are also interested in understanding current regulations that, to say the best about the least, are cumulatively informative as opposed to singularly definitive. I agree that this issue should be covered in the fAQ or another resource, but I also think we should be "accommodating" to these people because they just may be the type of energy that could reposition our sport as >a< (more than a less than) significant sport in our country.

Keep the pointy side up!

Edmonton <500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:48 am 

I fully agree with Edmonton 500 here.

Even after I posted this (which seemed to annoy some people) there has been another question about legality of replicas. I know this topic has been posted so much on the forum that it gets long time users nauseous but if we want to promote our sport to newcommers, we have to be prepared to answer their very legitimate questions. So maybe we should put a sticky like it has been suggested.

That is my opinion

Gilbert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:18 am 

Quote:
Gillis wrote
Even after I posted this (which seemed to annoy some people) there has been another question about legality of replicas. I know this topic has been posted so much on the forum that it gets long time users nauseous but if we want to promote our sport to newcommers, we have to be prepared to answer their very legitimate questions. So maybe we should put a sticky like it has been suggested.
That is my opinion
Gilbert

Well, I think that before asking a question a newbie should first try to find out whether or not a relevant topic has ever been discussed on this forum and then read all the relevant posts. Sometimes a bit of reading prior to questioning will eliminate any need for the latter. And I think that nobody is really annoyed here, at least, I’m not but like I said do your homework first.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:07 am 

Gillis wrote:

That is my opinion

Gilbert

I am not annoyed, I would just like to see it as a sticky so we dont need to answer this question on a bimonthly basis for the people who dont use the search function.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:30 am 

Another vote for the sticky.
I'm always amazed at people who can get on google, search for airgun info, come up with something like this forum...then can't do a simple search.
It's not that they can't...they wouldn't have found the forum in the first place.
Dare I say...it's laziness. Much easier to just post a one sentence query than do a little research.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:43 pm 

Sorry if I misinterpreted Paddyfritz. My bad. I am all for a sticky too

Gilbert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:42 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
Gillis wrote:

That is my opinion

Gilbert

I am not annoyed, I would just like to see it as a sticky so we dont need to answer this question on a bimonthly basis for the people who dont use the search function.

Bimonthly!?! Come on, sometimes it comes on and it's still on the first page of the airgun chat! It comes on I'd say at LEAST 10 times a year if not more.
STICKY!!!

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:51 pm 

Maybe the "search" button needs to be located in multiple locations.

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177
Seneca Dragonfly MK2 .177