Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Scope turret problem
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:25 am 

Anyone ran into this problem? UTG / Leaper scope issue here.. somehow I was adjusting the turret and then I know it's my bad.. but.. over do it.. and somehow now the turret don't seems to do much movements to the crosshair at all, not able to adjust the elevation ... any idea how to fix that? (like even you turn a lot of clicks, it's not moving up or down).

I tried loosening or fastening the screw on top, no help... and what else can I try or is there any secret screws around that tighten up the grip on the turret inside?

Post subject: Re: Scope turret problem
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:36 am 

Sounds like your scope died! Can happen to new scopes too! Same thing happened to one of my scopes. No matter how many clicks I tried, the crosshair wouldn't move horizontal (windage). Had to get a new one (warranty covered). This was a Center Point scope though. Gravel Agency has awesome customer service though! I've never dealt with Leapers/UTG.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 am 

M3ga3T wrote:
Sounds like your scope died! Can happen to new scopes too! Same thing happened to one of my scopes. No matter how many clicks I tried, the crosshair wouldn't move horizontal (windage). Had to get a new one (warranty covered). This was a Center Point scope though. Gravel Agency has awesome customer service though! I've never dealt with Leapers/UTG.

OH NO! That is BAD! Died?! How can that happen eh?!?!??! VERY SCARY!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:46 am 

I assume it did, If your turret clicks but won't make adjustments. Very frustrating!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:03 am 

Mak ... sometimes if/when a scope is mounted on imperfect rings that are not lapped, it puts stresses on the scope tube/body.
The tube inside the scope may start to grate internally or stick or generally provide unreliable adjustment.
Soooo ... if your scope is mounted on something .. sp a 2 ring setup - then try removing the scope & then readjusting it.
Maybe give it a couple of taps with a light soft piece of wood. (if you have some balsa laying around - perfect)
If no result, or if your scope is not mounted on anything & yet not responding; then pretty sure dead.

& yea Gravel are a class apart, in a very good way. I'm glad they support the Crosman ag community.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:55 am 

I ran into a similar problem with a smk scope. So I took a look under the turret knob and found the splines were plastic and had stripped. A little epoxy fixed it, but a leapers scope I don't know. Doesn't leapers have a lifetime warranty ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:58 am 

joe hickey wrote:
I ran into a similar problem with a smk scope. So I took a look under the turret knob and found the splines were plastic and had stripped. A little epoxy fixed it, but a leapers scope I don't know. Doesn't leapers have a lifetime warranty ?

They do Joe!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:48 am 

I've often wondered, but been too cautious to test, what happens when you reach the end of the adjustment range on a scope? Does the adjuster bump into an obvious stop, or does it continue to turn on some sort of clutch? Or does this vary by scope type?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:44 am 

joe hickey wrote:

Thanks for everyone's reply but I think THIS one here will fix my problem. Let me try to see what happened, I think something that is gripping on the inner turret is not doing its job, and that is why it is not working well.. let me try this out!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:48 am 

If you forced the adjustment past it's intended range, then it is most likely damaged now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:31 pm 

TriggerHappy416 wrote:
If you forced the adjustment past it's intended range, then it is most likely damaged now.

I think you got it.
You cannot ham-fist those super fine threads and not damage them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:26 pm 

Depending on your model, and if you were doing the zero adjustment or not there is a procedure.
For locking turrets - lock turrets prior to loosening the turret top bolt.
Readjust to zero and tighten top bolt WITHOUT locking turret or scope damage can result.
If you get a click before top bolt is tight, do over.

...depending on your model.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:28 pm 

With most cheap scopes the total elevation range with the turret say 100%. You will find its not altering before its lowest and highest positions, nothing wrong with the scope.
Or to put it another way say 2 revs of turret elevation, the last and initial half rev wont do anything so only got the middle 1 rev to play with.