Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:10 pm 

Well i just wanted to know the physics behind the RedDot sight. I thought i knew what it was but today i picked one up (still in package) and i didnt get a good look at it, was very blury, but it was not what i expected. So if anyone knows more about them i would like to know, thanks alot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:22 pm 

it's pretty much just a little beam of light that's shined on the "Screen"
(that piece of glass at the front of the sight) and the dot you see is the reflection of the light that comes from the bottom of the unit.

Same priciple as the HUD (heads up Display) used in some aircraft and cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:43 pm 

does it require a battery then? also is the lens any magnification? or is it just a piece of glass?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:55 pm 

yeah it does require a battery to produce the light
They're usually just large watch battery type things

I know you can get more expensive ones with a 2x magnification but most are just 1x (no magnifacation)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:00 pm 

Red dot are no different from scopes when it comes to quality of the optics. Look through a cheap one and its like looking thru the bottom of a coke bottle. That semi-permeable front lens is critical in ensuring a precise dot and at the same time giving a clear sight picture. You also want the smallest MOA dot you can afford.

But I love red dots. Because they offer no magnification (Some have 2x but are expensive) they are designed for quick close-in target acquisition. . Bring the weapon up, put the dot on target and let her rip.

Some offer both red and green dots or reticle. The green dots are nice in low light making it easier to see targets because it doesn't bloom as much as red.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:22 pm 
Admin-2-IC

I use Tasco red dot, bushnell, fitco, and the best of the best REX.

The one trick to sight a red dot is always keep the same eye relief as
the time you sight it then it's always accurate.

REX red dot has 4.5x magnification, it's like red dot scope, very accurate
and comes with very nice lense.

There is one red dot that I always like to try out it's the NIKON red dot
but I just can't justify the cost for $ 450.00 USD +++...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:26 pm 
Banned

I always found it a little puzzling as to why they chose red. Our eyes aren't that good with red. They're even worse with blue. Green, they're awesome with. Learned about this while reading about how mpeg video compression works, and the different colour formats it uses. Wish I could find the article I remember reading that had excellent example pictures to show the effects of lowering the resolution of the individual colour channels seperately, to highlight the differences. They had an untouched picture, then three others that had the resolution of red/green/blue cut to 1/4 of the original. The picture with the red's resolution reduced didn't look too much different. The picture with the blue's resolution reduced, well, it was incredibly hard to see any difference in it at all. Cut the green channel's resolution, and WOW, looked incredibly worse.

Perhaps red was chosen for the sights because it contrasts better in more situations, even though your eye can see green with more detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:08 am 

Would the choice of red have anything to do with the fact that your eye doesn't have to adjust pupil size when staring into a red light? Kinda like the reason all tail lights on vehicles are red?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:51 am 

Actually, red was chosen for RD's simply because it was the brightest LED available at the time when RD's were first developed. You could not get enough intensity from the very few other colors of LED's available then to use in bright daylight. Most LED's were extremely wimpy in intensity until quite relatively recently, when there was an explosion in LED tech after being virtually static for nearly two decades. Some RD's used a red laser diode to get the intensity, and even now any other laser diode color besides red is pretty expensive in comparison.

There are many reasons why red or green etc. might be chosen for certain visual attributes though, as people have mentioned. Red works pretty well for most apps. The other day we found one it wasn't good for: targets with bright red bullseyes! :D

Post subject: Re: Red Dot Sites ???
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:00 am 

Hi,
I just received my new SirMailOrder Catalog in the mail, and they have awhole bunch of Red Dot's in there anywheres from $21.99 up. You can get a nice one for around $70. bucks. I prefer the bigger ones over 30mm, with around 9 different red dot site levels of britness... :)

Krazy Mikey... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:47 am 

Best ones I have looked thru are the Aimpoint. Unfortunately way too expensive for airguns.

http://www.aimpoint.com/o.o.i.s/1