Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: C02 Tanks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:44 am 

ok well my mother owns a Pepsi Distribution company and she always has these C02 tanks that are about two feet high and very heavy, she gets around 10-12 of them at a time. what i want to know is if i had the fill station thing could i use the tanks to fill up the smaller paintball tanks? Do i need any kind of training to handle C02? is it dangerous? and i will post pictures of the tanks later on tonight. im hoping that someone who knows alot about C02 could help me out with this.
Thanks
Sheldon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:59 am 
Banned

probably a very cheap source for CO2. Have you read the CO2 sticky? This link is in there, which has bulk fill info.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~ispellan/Co2.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:19 am 

yeah it is pretty cheap to get the tanks and i wil never run out of co2 so i might as well start learning more about it and how to use it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:05 pm 

Take a couple paintball tanks to a paintball joint and have them fill your tanks. Observe how they do it and what equipment they use. They will likley have the fill hose and valves there for sale. It is a safe enough thing to do on your own provided you are completely familiar with CO2 properties and tank fill precautions.
I use the same tank you speak of and have it hanging on the wall upside down. From this is a fill valve into a tee, one side of tee is a vent valve and the other has a paintball adapter. I used a quick connect on the paintball fitting which allows me to swivel the tank. This allows me to fill and then while bleeding I can estimate the % in the tank as it vents liquid as the tank is tipped up. I stay conservative and fill to 50% by volume.
A good scale is required to fill to spec. Find a hospital grade baby scale.
I have a digital one that is easy to zero the tank out so indicates liquid fill.
Take care and be safe.
Walter...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:33 pm 

If it's anything like filling propane tanks, which I have some experience with, then you want to be very careful of any spray that might come off of your fittings, especially the quick connect fittings. Make sure you're wearing heavy gloves to protect from the extremely cold liquid that might spray at your hands. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to freeze your hand right through.

It's a small world, so you have to use your elbows a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:35 pm 
Banned

I don't think it's quite that extreme. And I think the methods are very dissimilar, though I could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:37 pm 

yeah I know they're not the same really, they're filled differently, etc... but I know that both are refrigerant gasses and I wouldn't screw around with either.

Edit: OK, well maybe it would be cool to see what propane would do if used instead of CO2...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:00 pm 
Banned

Propane, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:09 pm 

Sounds fun
Who needs pellets in your airgun when you have an inferno coming out of the end of your air rifle? :o

I've seen someone make a flamethrower out of a paintball gun
But I REALLY wouldn't try it, as I don't like to be toasted.
but I'd watch someone else do it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:16 pm 

Ya, airsoft blowback pistols use propane. It works great, but propane has less pressure then co2, therefore less power.

Last edited by Gotrice23 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:23 pm 

Would be kinda neat to put a pilot light on the muzzle of that AirSoft pistol... As long as it didn't light the blowback mechanism as well...
Hmm, maybe not such a good idea. Couldn't even really smoke around one of those pistols... damn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:07 pm 

Isn't it kinda stinky too, the propane? 'specially if your inside your room? My wife wouldn't tell the difference with me tho' :oops:

How about methane??? I know I can crank out some serious PSI. I'll give you a new meaning of "blowback" :lol:

Norman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:37 pm 

[quote="Gotrice23"]Ya, airsoft blowback pistols use propane. It works great, but propane has less pressure then co2, therefore less power.

[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Carfan7/IMG_0054.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Carfan7/IMG_0077.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Carfan7/IMG_0079.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Carfan7/IMG_0081.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Carfan7/IMG_0082.jpg[/img][/quote]

Hi
I can’t let this go! :shock:
First am working with combustion for 30 years and I know wath Is about!
8)
Physic Cours: Danger come in 3 things ( combustible, temperature or spark, and oxygen) = fire or explosion ,in your gun you get propane , spark or heat friction parts and you get some air went the proportion will be good you get (BOOM) or fire ,it append for sure !
:cry:
Try compress air in tank 200 psi will do the same but please stop using propane, think you get just 2 eyes and the finger don’t grow back and burn is painful!! :)

Ps: All combustible from fossil fuel is heavier to air and stay on floor , think what can cause !!

Last edited by Berny V on Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:42 pm 

Berny V wrote:

Hi
8)
Physic Cours: Danger come in 3 things ( combustible, temperature or spark, and oxygen) = fire or explosion ,in your gun you get propane , spark or heat friction parts and you get some air went the proportion will be good you get (BOOM) or fire ,it append for sure !
Try compress air in tank 200 psi will do the same but please stop using propane, think you get just 2 eyes and the finger don’t grow back and burn is painful!! :)
Airsoft'ers have been using propane for years and I haven't heard of a single incident of the propane exploding in the gun. BTW, the propane is stored in the magazine, not in the gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:48 pm 

[quote="Gotrice23"][quote="Berny V"]

Hi
8)
Try compress air in tank 200 psi will do the same but please stop using propane, think you get just 2 eyes and the finger don’t grow back and burn is painful!! :)[/quote]Airsoft'ers have been using propane for years and I haven't heard of a single incident of the propane exploding in the gun. BTW, the propane is stored in the magazine, not in the gun.[/quote]

Maybe! But I don’t take the risk, went you play with fire you can burn yourself ! :lol: