Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: cp88 trigger mod (pics)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:55 pm 

I was geting fed up of the 88's long, hard trigger pull and finally decided to do something about it. I ended up polishing most of the components and shaving a bit of meat off the sear. I find that these minnor mods have made double action soooo much smoother and single action has a nice crisp let off at around 2-3lbs which is a large improvement.

Alright, heres the piece that you gota mod if you're brave enough to open up your 88

Shave a bit off the tip (virtical line) and round off the end with 800-1000 grit sandpaper, test out the sear often to make sure you don't sand too much off it. I also cut a few coils off that spring but im not too sure if that improved anything.

Here's the difference between my shaved sear and a stock one, my eyes didn't notice the round edge until I snapped the pic :oops:

And then put this mess back together after polishing and greasing up all the pivot points

and enjoy the smooth ride :o

I doubt anyone will bother stripping a cp88 just to improve the trigger pull but I say its worth it and i'll be glad to help anyone who has trouble disassembling or assembling the pistol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:20 pm 

Hey.

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but...

I have a CP88 6" in nickel as well. Love the gun, but the trigger is way to heavy. I guess about 6lbs or so. Compared to my weirauch hw45 which is very nice right from the factory. The CP88's trigger is horrible from the factory.

Can you re-link your pictures? I'm pretty good mechanically / spacial relations, and such, but you know what they say about pictures and 1000 words.. Cliche in there somewhere.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:42 pm 

I shoot both my 92FS and CP88 DA. The CP88 has a nicer smoother trigger. Just go out and shoot with it. See what it feels like after a couple thousand rounds.

Aim Small. Miss Small.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:13 pm 

I've ran about 750 through it so far. Still feels too heavy.

I prefer SA though. More consistancy in the shot power also equates to better vertical grouping.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:47 pm 

O boy.. deleted those pics loooong ago but if I can remember correctly, you're supposed to shorten & polish the sear so it releases the hammer a bit sooner and with less effort, there is one drawback that I noticed only later on. The double action will not pull the hammer down as far as single action so your shots will be a bit weaker, but not by much. If you only use single action as I do, that wont be a problem.

This is the main piece you gota work on, either shorten the tooth (sear?) or change the angle of it.. I really dont remember. Also polish and lube everything else.

You have good taste btw, the hw45 and cp88 are the only airguns I use these days.