Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Low muzzle velicity
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:17 pm 

I recently bought a late friends Crosman Phantom 500 .22 with a 4x32 scope. I decided to test it out at a couple of empty cans at a range if about 45 feet.

First thing I noticed was that it had a odd sound when fired (spring like noise, though no real shock as it is a spring fire after it all)

The other thing is every shot, 20 in total, either hit the backstop 2 - 3 feet below the target, or further, into tbe ground, 3 inches infront of the backstop.

I talked to his widow who told me that it had only been fired aprox 20 times prior and that it had been stored in a hard case for a while, though she did not say how long.

Any suggestions on what the problem(s) is/are?

Post subject: Re: Low muzzle velicity
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:25 pm 

Sounds like a broken spring. You should tear it down and see whats going on inside.
here are some video tutorials
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTr0jfVb ... ature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFThRvTI ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Drq6hD ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHd44bXU ... re=related

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:33 pm 

Ok, I was able to strip the phantom down and thankfully, the spring was NOT broken.

There was however, a fair amount of debris. Looks to me like metal fragments. I cleaned everything I could, inside and out verifying there was nothing left in the chamber, filed down any rough spots I found and sanded the piston lightly.

I however forgotten to make sure I had everything I needed. In this case, Moly Grease. As my local Canadian Tiress stores did not have any in stock, I decided to go with what I though was an acceptable substitution. MotoMaster Moly Extreme Pressure Grease.

So after cleaning everything again to be sure there was no dust or debris, I greased up the appropriate pars, making sure not to over do it.

After a brief struggle to get the spring and the other internal parts back into the chamber (and having to take the cap off again as I forgot to replace the trigger block BEFORE I closed it up) I reassembled the rifle and fired off a couple of test shots.

No more TWANG or rattling spring noises, though I have yet to be able to get a proper test in.

All I need to do now is find someone local with a chronie so I can perform a proper test shoot.

Thanks for your assistance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:59 pm 

Ok, seems I may have ahem jumped the gun when I said things were working alright. the rattling spring noise is gone, but velocity is still in the crapper, pellet dropping after perhaps 30 ft or so. I am thinking of striping her down again reclean, lube and reassemble, but I am not sure if it will help any.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:26 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Mine did the same after about 200 shots and it was a bad piston seal in mine .
It was ok for a while with a new piston seal then failed again after about 100 shots,
now I am on my 3rd seal .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:30 pm 

under500fps wrote:
It was ok for a while with a new piston seal then failed again after about 100 shots,

Hmmm I didn't see any wear on it when I had it open before. Looks like I am going to have to strip it down again after all and make sure I get a really good look at the seals..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:37 pm 

Jester1969 wrote:
under500fps wrote:

Hmmm I didn't see any wear on it when I had it open before. Looks like I am going to have to strip it down again after all and make sure I get a really good look at the seals..

problem with those guns is the finish of slots and holes in the main tube, i would debur all the holes and slots just to be sure i dont break the new seal .

dasy 953 , ncstar 3-9x42 compact
crosman mk1
crosman quest 500x