Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Material for CO2 seals
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:05 pm 

I'm attempting to reseal a Crosman 622 and I'm trying to find out the material used to make the seal the CO2 culinder seats against (seal is about 1/8" thick and about 1/2" diameter, with a hole about .165" diameter for the piercing needle to fit through).
I might be able to get by with the seal on the valve stem (which looks like a "not to be taken apart" assembly) and the other couple seals are straightforward O-rings.
Suggestions for suitable material will be welcomed. TIA Hamish.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:39 pm 

Hamish2 wrote:
I'm attempting to reseal a Crosman 622 and I'm trying to find out the material used to make the seal the CO2 culinder seats against (seal is about 1/8" thick and about 1/2" diameter, with a hole about .165" diameter for the piercing needle to fit through).
I might be able to get by with the seal on the valve stem (which looks like a "not to be taken apart" assembly) and the other couple seals are straightforward O-rings.
Suggestions for suitable material will be welcomed. TIA Hamish.

Urethane or teflon would be fine.
Is the original mashed? if not too bad turn it over and have another go at it.

Walter...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:54 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
Urethane or teflon would be fine.
Is the original mashed? if not too bad turn it over and have another go at it.

Walter...

Thanks Walter. I did turn it over and it improved a little (held gas for about 10 minutes vs. almost instant emptying of CO2 cylinder).

Hamish.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:03 pm 

Do you have material and a lathe?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:25 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
Do you have material and a lathe?

I do have a small lathe but no material which looks suitable.

If I could find a piece of suitable plastic 1/2 inch diam. and an inch or two long, I could try parting off a few washers.

Some Teflon? sheet 1/8 inch thick would probably work also.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:49 am 

Why not buy a couple of seals from Eric or D&L they should have some, only a few dollars....KEN.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:28 am 
Supporting Member 2009

As mentioned, you can get a complete re-seal kit rather easily: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... -kit-p-635

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:41 pm 

KEN. wrote:
Why not buy a couple of seals from Eric or D&L they should have some, only a few dollars....KEN.

I appreciate the pointers, which led me to the Crosman 600. Looking at the seals, as pictured on Crosman's site, the part no's don't match and they don't look quite the same, but I'd appreciate if anyone can clarify it for me. The airgun in question is a Crosman 622 - a slide (a la typical shotgun) operated CO2 repeater and I have searched for several hours trying to find the "for sure correct" seals to no avail. I'll gladly buy a set of seals if I'm assured they will work in the 622.
Meantime, "Plasticman" delivered into my hands a selection of plastic pieces, which I'll attempt to turn up to fit. What a gentleman and what a great bunch there is on the group. Thanks, Plasticman!!!
Cheers! Hamish.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:25 pm 

AirGunEric wrote:
As mentioned, you can get a complete re-seal kit rather easily: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... -kit-p-635

Crosman 600 and 262 have no crossover parts.

262 and SSP250 share the same valve and seals.

The 600 is the same as the 150, 160, 180 style valves as to sealing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:08 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Pardon me, my mistype- I can't get a decent picture of a 622- so the seal kit has never been put on the website- same price as the 600 seal kit, but different contents.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:21 am 

Hamish2 wrote:
KEN. wrote:

I appreciate the pointers, which led me to the Crosman 600. Looking at the seals, as pictured on Crosman's site, the part no's don't match and they don't look quite the same, but I'd appreciate if anyone can clarify it for me. The airgun in question is a Crosman 622 - a slide (a la typical shotgun) operated CO2 repeater and I have searched for several hours trying to find the "for sure correct" seals to no avail. I'll gladly buy a set of seals if I'm assured they will work in the 622.
Meantime, "Plasticman" delivered into my hands a selection of plastic pieces, which I'll attempt to turn up to fit. What a gentleman and what a great bunch there is on the group. Thanks, Plasticman!!!
Cheers! Hamish.

.......Continued.......
Eric did come through with the correct seal kit (not listed on his website, but available). He's certainly the "go to" guy for Crosman stuff, - check with him first as not everything he can supply is on his website.
Unfortunately, I'm on an extreme budget and just couldn't justify the $50.00 + it would cost me to "maybe" repair a "non-collectible" airgun, as Eric had a $30.00 minimum (I neither want or need any more airgun stuff right now, or in the forseeable future). Add to that good ole' Canada Post costs, which keep increasing it seems - they say, according to the news, that they'll have to stop residential deliveries soon, as they are losing money???. ``Ken`suggested a cost of a few dollars, but I think his idea of a few dollars and mine are not quite the same - CPP and OAS just don`t allow too many extras - LOL.
Anyway, as I'm a cheap a**ed Scotsman (according to my wife, who swears she can hear me squeak when I walk :-)) I thought I`d keep experimenting with what I had on hand, i. e. the plastic kindly donated by ``plasticman``. Now I have no idea what the various plastics were, but a little sheet he gave me looked promising so I turned up a square piece to make a washer. It fitted OK, so as I started to assemble it, I noticed that the nut to hold the stock on was missing (I got it as a basket case, in keeping with the Scottish stereotype). It didn`t stop there. The two halves of the action body had sprung, so I drilled a small hole and put in a nut and bolt to hold them together. The tube which holds the CO2 cylinder attaches to the valve body with one solitary screw, so I added another 180 deg from it, which at least kept things more-or-less in line. etc. etc.
But finally I got it assembled and came the test - will it hold CO2É Yes!!!!!!.
I`ll check it again in the morning to see if it has`t leaked out.
I`ll post more tomorrow and, if it has held CO2 OK, anyone who needs pictures and further details, please let me know.
This is more fun that a (put your own idea of `fun`here).
Cheers! Hamish.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:01 am 

Hamish2 wrote:
Hamish2 wrote:
KEN. wrote:

.......Continued.......
Eric did come through with the correct seal kit (not listed on his website, but available). He's certainly the "go to" guy for Crosman stuff, - check with him first as not everything he can supply is on his website.
Unfortunately, I'm on an extreme budget and just couldn't justify the $50.00 + it would cost me to "maybe" repair a "non-collectible" airgun, as Eric had a $30.00 minimum (I neither want or need any more airgun stuff right now, or in the forseeable future). Add to that good ole' Canada Post costs, which keep increasing it seems - they say, according to the news, that they'll have to stop residential deliveries soon, as they are losing money???. ``Ken`suggested a cost of a few dollars, but I think his idea of a few dollars and mine are not quite the same - CPP and OAS just don`t allow too many extras - LOL.
Anyway, as I'm a cheap a**ed Scotsman (according to my wife, who swears she can hear me squeak when I walk :-)) I thought I`d keep experimenting with what I had on hand, i. e. the plastic kindly donated by "plasticman". Now I have no idea what the various plastics were, but a little sheet he gave me looked promising so I turned up a square piece to make a washer. It fitted OK, so as I started to assemble it, I noticed that the nut to hold the stock on was missing (I got it as a basket case, in keeping with the Scottish stereotype). It didn`t stop there. The two halves of the action body had sprung, so I drilled a small hole and put in a nut and bolt to hold them together. The tube which holds the CO2 cylinder attaches to the valve body with one solitary screw, so I added another 180 deg from it, which at least kept things more-or-less in line. etc. etc.
But finally I got it assembled and came the test - will it hold CO2? Yes!!!!!!.
I`ll check it again in the morning to see if it hasn`t leaked out.

Not only was it still holding gas this morning, but again when I checked it at about 9:00 pm this evening, it was still holding gas.
If and when the weather warms up a little, I'll have to try it out on some magpies.
These things have a rather nifty 6-shot magazine, so I started to load it with Crosman .22 cal. "pointed premium grade, hunting" pellets, which promptly fell out the other side of the magazine. Irritating, to put it mildy, as after loading the 6 pellets VERY carefully by holding the magazine vertical, they all fell out on the ground when an attempt was made to insert the magazine into the rifle.
The only other pellets I had on hand were some old Webley pellets of unknown vintage - at least they didn't fall right through. I measured both pellets and found that the Crosman (same company who made the rifle!) were smaller than the old Webley ones by almost 4 thou!! Might take a few minutes to resize 500 Crosman pellets so they don't fall through the Crosman magazine, but my major problem isn't a shortage of time but a shortage of shekels LOL.

Cheers! "Happy Happy" Hamish.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:40 pm 

Hello Hamish............So if your so cheap why did you get a CO2 airgun? Surely the cost of the cylinders will eat into your pocket?...also the magazine problem is probably due to the retainer spring or lack of one....good luck with that gun...KEN.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:22 pm 

KEN. wrote:
Hello Hamish............So if your so cheap why did you get a CO2 airgun? Surely the cost of the cylinders will eat into your pocket?...also the magazine problem is probably due to the retainer spring or lack of one....good luck with that gun...KEN.

Hi Ken - I guess I didn't mention it in my original post, but the gun, as a basket case with an unknown number of pieces missing, was a "gift". Doesn't get any cheaper :lol: .
I was, believe it or not, also given several 12g. CO2 cylinders and don't intend buying any myself. In fact, as it's not a Webley, I just looked at it as a challenge and am pleased to say it's only cost me a dollar or so for some 10-32 machine screws which I cut down to fit. The flimsy plastic magazine I carefully opened and the spring which operates as a detent was bent back to where it belonged. It now indexes fine. I might get really ambitious and resize the pellets to fit better :) .
Now, if anyone has something Webley to trade, drop me a line - it might become a Christmas gift for one of the grandkids.
Cheers! Hamish.