Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: FT Hosted Fun Shoots
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:47 pm 

Would it be worth while for Port Colbourne or Elmira FT Clubs to host an airguns only fun shoot on an off weekend? Or maybe even after a match? I think it would be a good opportunity for FT and nonFT people to meet and plink. Maybe even set out a couple of knock down targets to let others see what we shoot at. I know some basement shooters would love the opportunity to see what their rigs are capable of out at longer distances and maybe some of the more knowledgeable guys can even help out some of the newer guys with scope mounting/sighting in/pellet selection etc etc? No pressure to join the fold but some exposure to those who may have a passing interest in FT? At the very least, an excuse for a bunch of us from CAF to get out and shoot and try each others stuff... :)
Just thinking out loud here...what d'yall think? I volunteer to organize and set up targets...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:05 pm 

I think it's a great idea. I know that in my current situation I'm not really prepared to compete, but it'd be great to do some shooting with you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:23 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

That sounds like it could be a whole lot of fun.... 8)

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:34 pm 
Admin-2-IC

Hey how about rvd's backyard like last year sounds good to me ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:45 am 

Getting together with friends for a fun shoot is always a good time no mater where it is held :wink: I'll take any opportunity that I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:59 am 

Pumpmaster wrote:
I think it's a great idea. I know that in my current situation I'm not really prepared to compete, but it'd be great to do some shooting with you guys.

If your ready to shoot with the guys, your ready to shoot an FT match. That all FT is...shooting with the guys (and the odd gal).

Don't worry about not producing an award winning score your first time out. Most people don't (unless there is only two shooters and one award)! Plus any plinking match you go to won't be handing out awards either!

Just come on out and shoot a match with the other NEW hunter class shooters. The Hunter Division is new itself, and the only two who have shot in it are new shooters as well.

Come on out! Don't be intimated. We shoot for the fun of it.

Last edited by CJN on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:03 am 

sniper wrote:
Hey how about rvd's backyard like last year sounds good to me ....

I think Windbag is referring to having a fun match at one of the locations the FT matches are being held at already.

Actually RVD lives fairly close to the Port FT venue.

Sniper...are you planning to come out and shoot some FT matches this season? I think you know some of the guys already, meeting them at RVD's last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:07 am 

DoctorFrankengun wrote:
Getting together with friends for a fun shoot is always a good time no mater where it is held :wink: I'll take any opportunity that I can.

Doc,

Will you be up to coming to South River/Sundridge area for a FT match if we have one there later this year? I think Doug told me you called him about the possibility.

He and I have discussed it. We both have property there. I mentioned the match to the shooters down here (southern Ontario), and it looks like we will have support.

I have also mentioned a two day match...one at Doug's, the second at my place. Some who travel up there may want to make a camping weekend out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:54 am 

If i'm free the day of this fun shoot i'll come out... why not... I didn't mind trying FT last year.. It is kind of fun lol . I might have a friend who might be interested in trying it to.. He's got a freshly mod'd QB that I did for him last weekend that he's dying to test out.. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:36 am 

rvd wrote:
If i'm free the day of this fun shoot i'll come out... why not... I didn't mind trying FT last year.. It is kind of fun lol . I might have a friend who might be interested in trying it to.. He's got a freshly mod'd QB that I did for him last weekend that he's dying to test out.. 8)

RVD...are you available on May 10th to shoot FT at Port? If so, come on over, and bring your friend with you.

See you soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:59 am 

I agree that some, like Parker and Powderkeg, just muster up the gumpshin to come out and shoot a match but for many others a stepping stone in the way of an informal setting would help. Those who shy away from the word COMPETITION are probably like most of us in that we enjoy seeing what our guns shoot like at ranges greater than 10 or 15 yards or think, "I wonder if I could hit that green grape sitting on the stick at 20 yards?" I have a bag full of candy wafers ranging from 3/8" to 1" circles that explode quite nicely when hit and they make great reactive targets out to 30 yards! :twisted: I also have some spinners and resetting knock downs that are fun to shoot. This is the side of airgunning I think most of us can relate to and would attract some numbers (I think 24 showed up to RVD's PB shoot... :shock: ) As an aside, we could set up one lane of FT targets to let the curious try out and I'm sure some would then come out to a match or two and if not, we all had a fun day shooting?! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:31 pm 

CJN wrote:
DoctorFrankengun wrote:

Doc,

Will you be up to coming to South River/Sundridge area for a FT match if we have one there later this year? I think Doug told me you called him about the possibility.

He and I have discussed it. We both have property there. I mentioned the match to the shooters down here (southern Ontario), and it looks like we will have support.

I have also mentioned a two day match...one at Doug's, the second at my place. Some who travel up there may want to make a camping weekend out of it.

Only one thing will prevent me from getting to the shoot in Sundridge,,,,, If it falls on a weekend when my wife is getting medical attention in Toronto,,,,,,,,, I've got a motel picked out already and if it turns out to be a two day shoot all the better.

I like windbags thoughts on "competition" and using a variety of targets. Going through the FT course and then plinking away the rest of the day just for the fun of it is the best way that I can think of to enjoy a weekend.

If those that attend can bring a plinking target or two with them it would add to the enjoyment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:34 pm 

windbag wrote:
I agree that some, like Parker and Powderkeg, just muster up the gumpshin to come out and shoot a match but for many others a stepping stone in the way of an informal setting would help. Those who shy away from the word COMPETITION are probably like most of us in that we enjoy seeing what our guns shoot like at ranges greater than 10 or 15 yards or think, "I wonder if I could hit that green grape sitting on the stick at 20 yards?" I have a bag full of candy wafers ranging from 3/8" to 1" circles that explode quite nicely when hit and they make great reactive targets out to 30 yards! :twisted: I also have some spinners and resetting knock downs that are fun to shoot. This is the side of airgunning I think most of us can relate to and would attract some numbers (I think 24 showed up to RVD's PB shoot... :shock: ) As an aside, we could set up one lane of FT targets to let the curious try out and I'm sure some would then come out to a match or two and if not, we all had a fun day shooting?! 8)

I think your idea is great Windbag. Sorry if I did not clarify that earlier. I'm for any promotion or event that will encourage more shooters to give Field Target a try. If the Match Directors also appreciate your idea, I can see it becoming a reality is the near future.

The point I want to stress to all who are considering shooting FT, and specifically those wanting to shoot in the new Hunter Division, is that ALL THE SHOOTERS IN THE HUNTER DIVISION ARE NEW SHOOTERS, just like you!! Not one of our seasoned shooters shot in the Hunter Division last weekend, and few ever will.

Hunter Field Target in Canada is really designed around those just starting out in the sport, but certainly not limited to that. Last weekend we saw two shooters using QB's in Hunter Division. A great choice for that class. Expensive equipment is absolutely NOT REQUIRED in the Hunter Division.

Since all the shooters in the Hunter Division are new shooters, all you who are considering Hunter FT should not feel intimidated. You will have a blast, and be surrounded by a group of guys who will try their best to make you feel comfortable and answer any questions you may have. You many be amazed how much you learn, even about your gun, or pellet selection with even one visit to a FT match.

The next match is at Port Colborne on May 10th (check the sticky above for directions).

If it your first time shooting at Port Colborne, the match will be FREE for you!!

All current FT shooters were first time shooters once. I'm sure glad I found the courage to give it a try. I love this sport!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:51 pm 

DoctorFrankengun wrote:
CJN wrote:
DoctorFrankengun wrote:

Doc,

Only one thing will prevent me from getting to the shoot in Sundridge,,,,, If it falls on a weekend when my wife is getting medical attention in Toronto,,,,,,,,, I've got a motel picked out already and if it turns out to be a two day shoot all the better.

I like windbags thoughts on "competition" and using a variety of targets. Going through the FT course and then plinking away the rest of the day just for the fun of it is the best way that I can think of to enjoy a weekend.

If those that attend can bring a plinking target or two with them it would add to the enjoyment.

What weekends are out for you? PM me if you would rather. We can try to work around your schedule for the Sundridge match.

A fun shoot on the same day as a FT match would be a good idea. As you said...shooters can bring some of their favorite plinker targets for the fun course after the FT match.

A fun day will be had by all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:56 pm 

I'll have a better idea with regards to the treatment schedule after this weekend.