Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:21 pm 

I've always wanted one of these single stroke pneumatic pistols and after reading recently they were not going to be produced anymore I have one on the way (delivery by next week? :twisted: )
Can any owners out there share with me what they have found to be the most accurate pellets to try? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:17 pm 
Site Moderator

This isn't what you are looking for but you may enjoy the read.

http://www.airguninfo.com/p3p2.htm

Cheers,
Todd

Post subject: HW75
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:30 pm 

The most accurate pellets in the 75 were found to be most of the Flat Head range from Europe which run true 4.5mm.
A batch of old RWS Hobby came out the best at my club but most flat Heads were all very good, providing they were true 4.5mm.

The gun sits a little too high for my liking (when compared to similar match type pistols) where the gun shares the frame for the HW45 where the extra height was needed.
The HW40 sits nicer and is sleeker in appearance but the 75 should last forever, something the 40 and its variants probably will not do..
S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:04 pm 

windbag wrote:
I've always wanted one of these single stroke pneumatic pistols and after reading recently they were not going to be produced anymore I have one on the way (delivery by next week? :twisted: )
Can any owners out there share with me what they have found to be the most accurate pellets to try? :?

For target shooting - H&N Sport, H&N Match, RWS Hobby, RWS Meisterkugeln, Eley Match, JSB Schak, and JSB Pistol Match.

For plinking - H&N F&T Trophy, JSB Exact, CPL, and if you can find them, Milbro Caledonian.

I'd gladly give you a few of each of the above to try next time I see you, but I'm not sure you'd be able to wait that long..... :wink: :lol: .

You'll love the feel of that HW75 - enjoy !!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:35 pm 
Admin-2-IC

Suprmatic wrote:
windbag wrote:

For target shooting - H&N Sport, H&N Match, RWS Hobby, RWS Meisterkugeln, Eley Match, JSB Schak, and JSB Pistol Match.

For plinking - H&N F&T Trophy, JSB Exact, CPL, and if you can find them, Milbro Caledonian.

I'd gladly give you a few of each of the above to try next time I see you, but I'm not sure you'd be able to wait that long..... :wink: :lol: .

You'll love the feel of that HW75 - enjoy !!!

Hey that's just about cover all the good pellets out there in the
market .... lol...

I still have a bunch of those .177 Milbro Caledonian .......
I just remember since you mention it ..... lol .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:12 am 

What a surprise! I got it in the mail yesterday! :twisted: I'm very impressed with the quality and feel so far! I don't have a very good selection of pellets but I shot a 5 shot group at 20 yards from the bench that completely hid behind a dime! :shock: (Gamo Match) It out shoots some of my rifles at that distance!
Thanks for the link Todd. Your informative articles are largely responsible for piquing my interest in HW pistols in the first place...You are to blame for this! :wink:
Once I settle on a pellet, I'll post my findings.
Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:23 am 

windbag wrote:

Hi,

Where did you hear that the HW75 is not going to be produced anymore?

Thanks,

John

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:37 pm 

There is one in DAI in Cornwall England for anyone on English soil.
However, they are vastly inflated in price, where i would definately pay a little extra and pick up a FAS 604 or maybe a second Gas blue ribbon pistol like a BRNO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:03 pm 
Site Moderator

Hi Windbag,

Got any velocity numbers for us? :D

The HW75 is a slick pistol. It might not be the perfect 10m target pistol but as a plinker and non-serious 10m pistol it's right up there. The quality is typical Weihrauch. The optics rail, sweet trigger, metal construction, accuracy, self-contained power source, and ease of shooting make it a fun pistol to own.

Who confirmed the discontinuation of the HW75? It's still on the Weihrauch web site.

Cheers,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:35 pm 

windbag wrote:
...after reading recently they were not going to be produced anymore...

JohnKT wrote:
Where did you hear that the HW75 is not going to be produced anymore?

TCooper wrote:
Who confirmed the discontinuation of the HW75?

Sorry for the false alarm gentlemen :oops: Pyramid Air has the HW75 listed as discontinued on their advert page and I read too much into this review:
Quote:
What others should know:You ought to get one soon as I fear it might go the way of the P2.

Does this mean I have to confess to the wife about why I needed to get one... NOW! :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:39 pm 

I checked out the 75 at the club this evening.
It was only a very brief visit owing to the tennis but i have some figures for you.
The gun is run in but less than 2 years old. It produced a suprising 442 fps avg with RWS hobby and 427 fps with H & N match.
The grip is basic for a match tool but but i put 3 shots straight into the black at 6 metres with 2 just outside into the 8 ring for a group of sub inch straight off hand. Sweet tool!

The English price is crazy though, maybe you can get it cheaper in Canada?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:12 pm 
Site Moderator

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for posting the velocity numbers. :D My HW75 was producing a bit less at 414fps with the H&N pistol match pellet.

The HW75 price in Canada starts at $418. According to a currency calculator, this computes to 207 British Pounds. The HW45 prices start at $359 and goes up to slightly over $400Cdn.

I'm not sure if Windbag is a 10m olympic style target shooter. For a fun and accurate plinker pistol, the HW75 is pretty decent. As you know, it can also be used for informal 10m target events but was not designed exclusively for this purpose.

From what I have read, the HW75 was originally a prototype when Weihrauch was designing, manufacturing and testing for a magnum spring pistol with a 1911 style and grip (from Beeman's request). The single stroke pneumatic design provided an accurate base but fell short on the desired power output. Rather than dump the SSP prototype, they produced this model in addition to the HW45 springer version. The HW75 was available with the same 1911 grip and also the semi-target wood sporter type grip. This contoured sporter/target grip has recently been made an option for the HW45, under the name HW45 Silver Star.

As is obvious, the high sitting HW75 is far from ideal for official competitive 10m target shooting. The grip is also a shortfall for this type of shooting. A Morini/Steyr type grip with adjustable palm shelf and rake would be much better. The sporter sights are also a shortfall if the HW75 is used for competitive 10m competitions. With all this said, the HW75 still makes a solid SSP sporter pistol. The trigger is wonderful, the frame is metal, the grip is wood, the sights are more than adequate, the power source is self-contained, accuracy is very good, integrated optics rail, and the 1911 styling is pleasing to many shooters. The IZH-46M 10m style SSP target pistol is about the same price but some shooters are not fond of the 17" length, heavy front end, and blocky target grip. I guess we have choices for all types of shooting disciplines. :D

Cheers,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:30 pm 

TCooper wrote:
I'm not sure if Windbag is a 10m olympic style target shooter.

Nope, just a demanding plinker?! At present, I only have match type pellets designed for rifles so I'm guessing the dedicated pistol ammo will have slightly higher velocities:

RWS R10 Match
average - 367.3, extreme spread - 4.68, standard deviation - 1.41

Anschutz Match
average - 376, extreme spread - 3.53, standard deviation - 1.41

Gamo Match
average - 394.9, extreme spread - 12, standard deviation - 5.19

RWS Superdome
average - 367.9, extreme spread - 14.87, standard deviation - 4.89

JSB Exact 4.53
average - 379.1, extreme spread - 8.59, standard deviation - 2.64

Strangely, the Superdomes are the most accurate so far with a 10 shot group at 15 yards that measured about the size of a quarter. I anticipate a big improvement on that when I get my hands on some H&N's etc.
Yes, the sights sit a little high but I'm not using it to compete in any way. I also noticed the rear notch isn't completely square on one side and the rear sight assembly is ever so slightly tilted. I like the weight and overall feel though. It makes it an inexpensive alternative to practising with my PB's. The trigger has a small bit of creep that I'm sure I could eliminate with some adjustment but I'm going to leave it for now. It took a bit to get used to cocking the hammer everytime but I'm sure that will disappear the more I shoot the gun.

Todd:
The instructions say to depress the closing lever before opening the cocking arm but I found this step wasn't necessary after firing. Does this automatically release upon firing? Also, I was a little concerned about wearing away the recess in the rear of the cocking arm where the cocking lever engages so I pressed in the closing lever while returning the cocking arm to the closed position only to find the lever wouldn't engage using this procedure. Does yours do the same thing and am I worrying about something that isn't an issue?

So far I'm very impressed with this pistol and I'm already thinking of an optical sight of some sort!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:19 pm 
Site Moderator

Hi Windbag,

I wish I could answer your questions but I sold my HW75 many years ago. I owned it in the early 90s. Now I wish I had kept it! Hopefully someone else will chime in with answers.

A bit of lube is always a good idea to help reduce friction and wear... and keep parts moving smoothly.

Cheers,
Todd