Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:11 pm 

:roll:

I'm not sure of the details yet . I thought I heard something about the Toronto Police offering a program where they expected peolpe to turn in legal and illegal guns in exchange for a camera ??? :roll:

I can see it now , ganbangers lining up to disarm themselves then wandering around the city taking pretty pictures .Hugging each other and creating memories . :goodman:

Perhaps next week Social services will offer the Gangbangers a program where they can turn in drugs for scrapbooking materials . :lol:

I makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside .

this is bound to work , I feel safer already . :roll:

Perhaps they are unaware that all the gangbangers carry cellphones which already conveniently contain cameras .

Now if they implemented a program where the criminals traded in their firearms for grow lights and dutch nutrient formula ... that might work .

Or maybe they could sell the criminals some of the stuff they are smoking down at city hall ...it must be potent ! :lol: :lol:

What I would like to see is a program where we get to trade in all the criminals in exchange for more firearms.

Thats a program I would buy into !

Last edited by warren on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:32 pm 

Here's another idea . Maybe the criminals could trade in their guns for a free lifetime menbership to the Liberal party of Canada ...

Oh wait ,I forgot they don't have any money .... nevermind . :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:18 pm 

Well, a few scenarios come to mind......

1) The gangbangers gather up all their POS guns that are essentially worthless to them, turn them in for a bunch of those $200 cameras, then eBay the cameras, and use the money to buy better guns with hi-cap magazines :twisted: .

2) Legitimate gun owners take advantage of the same opportunity to get rid of their POS guns, and get some new goodies :supz: .

3) People from all walks of life scramble to be the first to turn in thier $1500 (and up) "black rifles" for one of those cool $400 cameras - now there's a deal you don't come across just every day..... :roll: :rolleyes: .

I forsee a glut of Nikon cameras on eBay........ :lol:

**or**

I see a warehouse full of cameras that the TO taxpayers will be on the hook for, because no-one else wants them..... :oops: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:58 pm 

Does anyone know what kind of cameras they have to trade with ?

Personally I loathe the idea of giving Mayor Miller anything , let alone my firearms . (I wouldn't give him the steam off my pi$$)

But I wonder just what the city thinks is a fair trade for getting some of the guns off the street .

For instance would they give you a Nikon D-70 ? Or just the kind of crappy digital you might get with a magazine subscrtipion .

My experience with the city tells me it would be more of the latter than the former . It would be an indicator to me of how sincere an effort this was , vs. it being just another ploy to stand out with the media .

I find it odd that at a time when the city is desparetely trying to attract new business they shut their doors to any company involved in the arms business .

On one hand they pose to the media as trying to beg companies to invest their money and employ people in Toronto , While on the other hand they only want the types of industry of which they personally approve .

And while I recognize that the arms industry is very small in Canada .
Some times beggars can't be choosers .

It seems like they have put their personal crusade for gun control ahead of the cities need for attracting legitamate business .

Just my $.02 ,
Your mileage may vary .

Warren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:37 pm 
Admin-2-IC

oh wow .... I need some more Nikon's .... and I have a shotgun that
doesn't work anymore ..... where do we line up .... D70 ...hmmmm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:58 pm 

warren wrote:
I'm not sure of the details yet

From what I heard on AM640 this morning it is an amnesty type deal with Toronto Police and Henry's (large camera store in TO) where handguns can be turned in, no questions asked, in exchange for a digital camera supposedly worth $400.00.
I suspect, as was the case with the last Toronto amnesty of similar intent, that the media will be shown a table full of pieces of sh!t that don't even work, have been dewated or are cheap air pistols, all of which will have absolutely no effect on crime, but will create a media opportunity for Miller to stand behind said table and assert how "Each one of the guns you see here today represents a life saved and proves how the citizens of this city unanimously support a handgun ban!" :roll: :twisted: :cry: Sorry about the run on sentence. Can you tell I'm p!ssed? :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:47 pm 

Windbag wrote "From what I heard on AM640 this morning it is an amnesty type deal with Toronto Police and Henry's (large camera store in TO) where handguns can be turned in, no questions asked, in exchange for a digital camera supposedly worth $400.00. "

This begs the Question " Is Henry's liscened to store restricted weapons ?Or is the city paying to have an on duty officer stand by in the event that someone should bring a restricted weapon into the store ?"

Would bringing a registered restricted weapon into the store not constitute an offence due to the fact that it is not listed on the permit as a destination?
I believe that would also constitute as a federal offence .

Does not offering a material reward in exchange for stolen goods constitute as complicity in a crime ?

I thought it was against the law to benefit from the proceeds of a crime (ie. racketeering).

Do Miller and his gang feel they can just make up the laws as they go ? Or do they just feel they are above the law ?

I always thought that Federal law superceeded municipal law .

What is to prevent anyone arrested downtown with an illegal gun during the amnesty from using the defence "Well ... I was on my way to Henry's, but I got lost and couldn't find the store " ?

Wouldn't you think this might encourage more handguns to be stolen so that they could be exchanged for goods , no strings attached ?

I would just love to see the RCMP slap the cuffs on Miller when he shows up for his media oportunity to take "possession" of these "stolen restricted weapons".

This whole thing sounds suspiciously like a "sting" operation to me .

What a tool ! ("Tool of the day" that is )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:30 am 

Just take your handgun directly to the counter of any Henry's store, and they'll pretty much give you whatever camera you ask for :lol: (just a joke - just like Miller)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:16 am 
Admin-2-IC

Pumpmaster wrote:
Just take your handgun directly to the counter of any Henry's store, and they'll pretty much give you whatever camera you ask for :lol: (just a joke - just like Miller)

..... LOL ....... almost like the normal thing to do down in Texas .... lol...

here now your ATT is just been extended to Henry ... LOL ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:59 am 

Gleaned from discussions over on the Gunnutz forum:

- for a handgun, you get a Nikon camera worth $200.

- for an AK-47 or similar "assault rifle", you get a Nikon camera worth $400.

- for a POS hunting rifle or SG the value of camera is "yet to be determined". (IMO, likely to be one of those cheapie disposables)

- the guns are not to be taken to the Henry's store - you call TPS, they send an officer to your residence to pick up the gun, and give you a "gift certificate" for the camera.

- it is not an anonymous amnesty - all guns will be checked to determine if they were used in the commision of a crime, and if so, the person surrendering said gun has some serious questions to answer.

As windbag so eloquently states - nothing but a cheap, politically motivated, publicity stunt by Miller and his lackeys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:37 pm 

we should take some of our guns.. paint them black add some cap pat or some tatical looking doo dads and whats its... go knock on millers door. and ask very politly for a Lika M7 (eurotrip) before he gets some cold steel in the :o ill stop there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:44 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

haha someone buy a $100 B3 and then make it look like an ak then get a 400 camera out of it

it would be sad too see what handguns might be destroyed :(

:)