Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:02 pm 

Just wondering if anyone who is coming to the PFT match has a 14.5" or shorter barrel for a 1377 that I could buy or use? I only have a 24" barrel on my 1377 right now, and the limit is 14.5".........

Let me know if you have something that will work and what you want for it.......

Cheers,
-Joel.G

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:35 pm 

OK. j 420 - I do.
It was the orig. 1377 barrel I passed maybe 100 pellets through when I started EXPERIMENTING with my "BEHEMOTH" - I went WALTHER match grade barrel ASAP on my build - ( in all honesty, emulating Windbag's Co2 version)

I would be happy to loan it for the shoot & would even bring my repair kit I have been using quite frequently lately to prepare for this shoot, cuz,

We know a 1377 re-build can take moments with the proper stuff, so it would be fun to show up early, git R dun, & see the results re: that barrel.

Let me know by P.M. or open, someone else may find this interesting too.

Afterwards we can discuss purchase if you are still interested, but I'm into keeping my "parts" for experimentation usually - :roll:

The wife just HATES all the PARTS ... " So ........... What's THAT for ?"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:08 pm 

I'mPOWDERKEG wrote:
OK. j 420 - I do.
It was the orig. 1377 barrel I passed maybe 100 pellets through when I started EXPERIMENTING with my "BEHEMOTH" - I went WALTHER match grade barrel ASAP on my build - ( in all honesty, emulating Windbag's Co2 version)

I would be happy to loan it for the shoot & would even bring my repair kit I have been using quite frequently lately to prepare for this shoot, cuz,

We know a 1377 re-build can take moments with the proper stuff, so it would be fun to show up early, git R dun, & see the results re: that barrel.

Let me know by P.M. or open, someone else may find this interesting too.

Afterwards we can discuss purchase if you are still interested, but I'm into keeping my "parts" for experimentation usually - :roll:

The wife just HATES all the PARTS ... " So ........... What's THAT for ?"

All right, that sounds good.........I have my stock barrel but it is not very good.......

One other problem I have though; I have opened up my barrel band to slide the 24" barrel through (temporary) and I can't seem to get the stupid roll pin out to replace it.....I have the SS link pin, and 2289 barrel band, but I can't get out the old pin, I tried drilling (after attacking it with various tools) and burnt 2-3 bits :lol:

Maybe I can run into the shop tomorrow and just drill it out.......

........"Hey, somebody bring a drill-press"....... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:35 am 

anyone bringing a chrony?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:17 am 

Your SS roll pin is probably of the 300 series and will work harden if it heats. Drilling it inappropriately will make it hard.
Try a press first, do you have access to a press?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:09 am 

alaus24 wrote:
anyone bringing a chrony?

I will be........

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:12 am 

DerekVinyard wrote:
Your SS roll pin is probably of the 300 series and will work harden if it heats. Drilling it inappropriately will make it hard.
Try a press first, do you have access to a press?

Okay, that's what I was thinking I did, I only had a hand-held drill when I first tried it........

I'm going into the shop in an hour and I will try it on a arbor press, or with a carbide drill bit...........I think I'm going to part my barrel to 14.5" and re-crown it as well.......wish me luck, this is my first attempt at a re-crown :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:19 pm 

BAMMMM!!!!!!! done....... :lol:

Now I just need to see how it shoots with the re-crowning.........

Ohhhh and Powder'Keg it looks like we will be having a 1377 face off; the "Behemoth" vs. "Snoopy" (.a.k.a the Red Baron) :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:12 pm 

C 8) 8) L !
Ah well, I can leave the barrel behind, looks like. Nice work getting a PFT rig together in Jig-time after ya got yerself motivated - just goes to show how the sport is the type of fun that creates determination, leading to more fun which inevitably creates new determinations to have more fun, Etc. Etc. , ad infinitum. JMO.

I notice you replaced your roll-pin with something better, got another one around by any chance? What I HAD, snapped in half just recently so I put the orig. pin back in. Problem now is movement while pumping, mine is loose enough to push back into place while the lever is open - with my thumbnail.
It'd be great if you do, keeping an eye in it as-is is simply a PITA.

Otherwise, I look forward to seeing how a couple 1377s compare. I was thinking of shooting LAST, for two MAIN reasons Re: pumping.

1) I rushed through last time ( had a family thing, shot early in the line-up, left early ...) - It slowed some quicker RIGS a bit I felt at the time but I'm also sure it was yet another factor with MY score besides power issues I had. Even at 8 pumps too, you feel it at the end of the day, following a match, now I gotta pump 11/shot for a sweetly consistent 492-495 fps. Hmmmm ... 40 shot match = 444 PUMPS !!!

2) Besides slowing the other Fellows down, I have to consider the absolute fact that when shooting, the constant clap of pumpers/shot just MIGHT/POSSIBLY be IRRITATING/DISTRACTING & be a factor in THEIR score. :(

So with no obligations this Sunday, I'm shooting last.

The 1377 P.F.T. BATTLE! .......... IS ON! ........... SNOOPY (aka Red Baron) - VS - THE BEHEMOTH ...........CRAZY CROSMAN PUMPERS .......... GONE WILD !!!!! ............ NEVER BEFORE PERFORMED IN CANADA !!! TWO 1377's BATTLE IT OUT IN THE PISTOL-FIELD-TARGET ARENA .......... BE THERE OR BE SQUARED ........... SEE IT LIVE !!! .......... ONE TIME ONLY ! (Perhaps ?!) .......... COMING THIS ..........

SUNDAY ! - SUNDAYYY !!!!!! - SUNNNDAYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!!!!!!!! :supz:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:41 pm 

I'mPOWDERKEG wrote:
C 8) 8) L !
Ah well, I can leave the barrel behind, looks like. Nice work getting a PFT rig together in Jig-time after ya got yerself motivated - just goes to show how the sport is the type of fun that creates determination, leading to more fun which inevitably creates new determinations to have more fun, Etc. Etc. , ad infinitum. JMO.

I notice you replaced your roll-pin with something better, got another one around by any chance? What I HAD, snapped in half just recently so I put the orig. pin back in. Problem now is movement while pumping, mine is loose enough to push back into place while the lever is open - with my thumbnail.
It'd be great if you do, keeping an eye in it as-is is simply a PITA.

Otherwise, I look forward to seeing how a couple 1377s compare. I was thinking of shooting LAST, for two MAIN reasons Re: pumping.

1) I rushed through last time ( had a family thing, shot early in the line-up, left early ...) - It slowed some quicker RIGS a bit I felt at the time but I'm also sure it was yet another factor with MY score besides power issues I had. Even at 8 pumps too, you feel it at the end of the day, following a match, now I gotta pump 11/shot for a sweetly consistent 492-495 fps. Hmmmm ... 40 shot match = 444 PUMPS !!!

2) Besides slowing the other Fellows down, I have to consider the absolute fact that when shooting, the constant clap of pumpers/shot just MIGHT/POSSIBLY be IRRITATING/DISTRACTING & be a factor in THEIR score. :(

So with no obligations this Sunday, I'm shooting last.

The 1377 P.F.T. BATTLE! .......... IS ON! ........... SNOOPY (aka Red Baron) - VS - THE BEHEMOTH ...........CRAZY CROSMAN PUMPERS .......... GONE WILD !!!!! ............ NEVER BEFORE PERFORMED IN CANADA !!! TWO 1377's BATTLE IT OUT IN THE PISTOL-FIELD-TARGET ARENA .......... BE THERE OR BE SQUARED ........... SEE IT LIVE !!! .......... ONE TIME ONLY ! (Perhaps ?!) .......... COMING THIS ..........

SUNDAY ! - SUNDAYYY !!!!!! - SUNNNDAYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!!!!!!!! :supz:

Nice, sounds you have your gun all tuned up, can't wait to see it.......

I have been doing some testing as well with my velocities. Ive put about 50 JSB exacts through at 6 pumps (240pumps/40shots) and have got 492-497, averaging out at 493.74fps. I am going to do some more testing with JSB heavies, and maybe some H&N Barracuda match......

The link pin I installed is solid stainless with two e-clips, unfortunately I do not have another one, but eric has them for sale for $4 or so.......If you can swing by somewhere and just buy the same thing it is 3/16", a dowel pin and some JB weld will probably get you in the ball park until you can get one. Just JB weld something to the OD of the dowel pin so it can't slide out :idea: I don't know...... :lol: ......... I had to use a reamer and then tap it in with a hammer so it's super tight in there........

In regards to the noise; it does seem kind of annoying and I'm going to see if there is something that can be done about that while I'm doing some tweaking/testing tonight, I'll let you know if I find something decent..........

Can't wait for the match!!!!!

Cheers,
-Joel.G

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:03 am 

got some testing done, and it looks like I'll be using Air Arms (JSB) 10.34gr @ 8 pumps..........I worried about the crowning job I did as i have never done it before, but it appears to have worked quite well.......See everybody at the match!!!!

Setup for testing......

test groups with 24" barrel (factory crown)..........

test groups with 14.5" barrel (recrowned by me)..........

Cheers,
-Joel.G

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:07 pm 

A few pics and video I took when parting off and crowning that Crosman barrel for my 1377..........

Just after parting.......

After cutting 11* crown........

Deburred and done........

This was pretty surprising, it was not touching either marking, so just less than .001" total run-out (with a 3-jaw chuck) :shock: :lol: .........I was blown away by that, good job Crosman.........

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 pm 

Good job, neat rig. Just goes to show, oldskool-is2-Kool! -post more on snoopy, it's ALL 4 The Fun. & ya bettered the 1377 viability qoutient. - 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:55 pm 

You need some more RED on that badboy...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:29 am 

DerekVinyard wrote:
You need some more RED on that badboy...

sure do, send those beauties over lol great job btw......