Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:38 pm 
Site Moderator

I was Walmart shopping today and noticed the .22cal Beeman 1049F. The price is only $110. Has anyone tried one? Opinions? Junk? Decent after modifications?

The Beeman labelled 1040 series rifles (1040, 1041, 1048, 1049, etc) seem to be the same rifle as the Beeman GH650 (650fps version), the Hammerli 490 (490fps version), and the Shanghai Industry Brand QB18. I'm thinking the Shanghai Industry Brand is the original supplier of these various rebadged models.

http://www.dlairgun.com/Hammerli.html
http://www.archerairguns.com/QB18-Chine ... p/qb18.htm
http://www.beeman.com/gold-gh650.htm
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5 ... ?locale=en

Cheers,
Todd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:36 pm 

I was wondering the same thing.

There's also a Beeman 1787F at Crappy Tire, for $120, which I can't find any info/reviews on either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:50 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

I read that Beeman 1040 is very tricky to mod and not worth doing .
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=59

I know that you are asking about the one made in China .

But I will tell you about my Beeman 1040/41 made in Spain
I got it from CanadianTire October 2004 for $249.99 + taxes
The 4x32 scope on it came installed & adjusted for 10 meters and I never had to re-adjust it yet .
And the fit & finish was and still is just about perfect .
The trigger was hard at first but after 500 pellets it got much better .
It shots at about 480 fps with Crosman pointed pellets .
I find my rifle very accurate at 10 meters if I do my part .
And it is still shooting perfectly after more then 4000 pellets .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

drew4008 wrote:
I was wondering the same thing.

There's also a Beeman 1787F at Crappy Tire, for $120, which I can't find any info/reviews on either.

That Beeman 1787F is the same as my old Marksman Biathlon 1790 .
It has a long creepy trigger and it shoots at around 400 fps if you are lucky .
Mine was accurate at 10 meters until it died .
It has no after market parts to fix the thing .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:47 pm 
Site Moderator

Thanks Rene,

I wonder if there are two different rifles here. Now that I look closer, the Hammerli 490 looks like the Industry Brand QB18... and the Beeman 1040/1041 looks like the Beeman GH650. I'll have to go for another look at the Beeman 1049F. I can't remember if it looks like the Chinese Hammerli/QB18 or the Spanish Beeman 1041/1040 (Beeman GH650). Hmmm, maybe the Spanish version is now made in China? I'll have to check closely at the appearance and the place of manufacture. Sometimes the pics on the box do not resemble what is inside.

IIRC the Spanish version was the Norica AG62 Sport.

Cheers,
Todd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:21 pm 

Although overpriced the 1048 is a fine rifle for backyard/basement shooting. After about 1000 rounds, the non-adjustable trigger smoothed out to an acceptable level (approx 6 pounds pull). Like most airguns, the problem is to find pellets it likes. Because of the low velocity, changing pellet type and weight has a greater effect on POI, so find a good pellet and stay with it. I could get 1 inch accuracy with almost anything and I tried about a half dozen brands before settling on JSB Exact RS (7.33 grains) which gives acceptable velocity (approx 10% over that advertised) and good accuracy out to a measured 45 yards. Up to 25 yards off a rest it is capable of making one hole bigger, and pop and beer cans are no challenge at 45. Don't even think about hunting with it though. Fit and finish were fine on my Chinese made rig although I have read stories to the contrary. Unlike some others, scope (3x9) shoots to same point of aim regardless of power setting.

Good luck and have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:28 pm 
Site Moderator

Hi Luxton,

Thanks for the report. Your 1048 seems quite accurate. It sounds like a keeper.

The price on the blued 1040 rifles are not too bad. The 1049F version is only $110 at WMart (no scope). The price seems comparable to the Canadian Hunter D18, Crosman Quest, Crosman Phantom, Ruger Airhawk, and Stoeger X5. All seem to be $110-$150.

Cheers,
Todd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:12 pm 

I have picked up 2 beeman 1049f for my kids to use. They are working great . We have put about 2500 Pellets through them since Xmas . And have had no problems . I have put scopes on them and removed the front fiber optics . There is a retaining screw on the for stock that has come loose once on one of them but it was an easy fix with some loctite . I had tried several times to contact beeman in regards to information on these guns but have had no luck reaching them until last month, the have been going through some re-structuring . I have found no information on the internet about them .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:20 am 
Supporting Member 2009

Currently, I can't offer much insight into the origins of the Beeman Chinese-made product (essentially, their entire product line now). For what difference it might make, S/R Industries (Marksman) who owns the 'Beeman' name/company, was bought out by Shanghai Airgun (BAM) last November. Currently, BAM products are not being distributed through Beeman in California, but still through Xisico in Texas- but who knows, maybe that will change in the future. All the German product (Weihrauch) has been taken from Beeman and Pyramyd is now the US Distributor for the line.

Anyways, as it was Shanghai who bought S/R-Beeman, it wouldn't seem unreasonable to assume that many of their products have been made by Shanghai in the recent past.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:27 pm 

i've recently picked up a Beeman 1047 (that's what it said on the box), on the gun it says 1040. it's the duel caliber (.177/.22 interchangable barrels) and with the .177 no problem with a 1 inch group at 30 yards using the 4x32 scope that came with the rifle and also has the fibre optic open sights. the scope wasn't mounted, but a few screws, a dozen shots and it's right on target. it seems to like the Crosman pointed pellets the best, very consistent with them. you do have to sight it in each time you change barrels, but that's not a big issue. oh, it was $249 plus the governments' share.
my opinion..? China or not, it seems to be a very well made gun, heavy, sturdy, powerful and accurate!!
hope this helps. :)