Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Leapers 6X32mm Ok for FT
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:02 pm 

Just about to get an estimate from D&L on a rifle. And not having any experience with scopes would like to know if a Leapers 6X32mm would be a good choice for up to 50 yds.
Shoes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:22 pm 

You will want a lot more than 6x magnification for FT as the killzones can be very small.
If you're planning on shooting hunter FT, buy a scope that magnifies up to 16x.
If you're planning on shooting FT, buy a scope that magnifies up to at least 32x.
Leapers makes decent entry level scopes in both of those magnification ranges that should get you started.
Feel free to post any other questions you may have!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:24 pm 

My advice would be to buy the most magnification and aperture you can afford. 6X isn't that powerful. The bigger the aperture, the more light that gets in.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:34 pm 

Ok, guys thanks for the insite, much appreciated. I found this...
Hawke Varmint 2
* • m@100yds: 5 - 1.3
* • Eye Relief: 89mm
* • 4-16X44 AO
* • Reticle: Mil-Dot
* • Length: 365mm
* • 549g

Shoes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:50 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Another nice scope to watch out for would be the Bushnell Legend 5-15.. Great scope for the money...
x6 is just a wee bit under powered for most folks shooting FT...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:05 pm 

The Hawke Varmint 2 only focuses down to 15 yards.... not close enough for FT use....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:14 am 

Parker_101_ wrote:
Another nice scope to watch out for would be the Bushnell Legend 5-15.. Great scope for the money...
x6 is just a wee bit under powered for most folks shooting FT...

speaking of which, i used the le baron flyer and price matched it with walmart. so I got a bushnell legend 5-15 from walmart for 158 after tax :mrgreen: that was yesterday. i considered it a steal. it was the only one left, other than the one on the shelf.

and for the last PCFTC, although my scope is bushnell 6-18, i kept it at 6 all the time cuz im using stock .22 QB78. If I set it to be 16x, at 50 yards, the pellet drop compensation would be outside of the scope lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:25 am 
Supporting Member 2009

TUF-Shoes wrote:
Just about to get an estimate from D&L on a rifle. And not having any experience with scopes would like to know if a Leapers 6X32mm would be a good choice for up to 50 yds.
Shoes

While a 6x scope would work, a bit more magnification doesn't hurt.

What is the plan for this rifle? If you want a hunter rig, 16x is the max magnification allowed- the Bushnell Legend 5-15 is an AMAZING scope for the money. If you are planning to shoot Open class, well the sky's the limit- several shooters use 50x scopes, or you could use a 6x and a laser range finder, that'll work as well as the 50x scopes.

HOWEVER, at the last Elmer Fudd Hunter match, I placed fourth with a score of 125 out of 136, and I was using the cheapest BSA 4x scope with a duplex reticle on a .22 cal Discovery rifle, SO you can do fine with a $30 scope...

I didn't touch the scope at all during the match, or adjust the front objective to focus it even. The secret for me doing so well was setting up the rifle specifically for not touching the scope.

I mounted the scope as low as possible to the barrel, then using Chairgun ballistic software, knowing the pellet trajectory and the height of the scope, I played around until I found a zero distance that worked well for me. This distance happened to be 27 yards, so from 11 yards to 33 yards, the pellet was never more than 1/4" above or 1/4" below the crosshairs.

If I had a mill dot scope- which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you get- and bit more time, I could have fine tuned this even setup further- I was only 3 points off of winning!

I purposefully selected this low cost rifle and cheap scope to illustrate that you don't need to spend a lot of $$ to score well at Field Target. Honestly 80% of this sport how well you've setup your FT rig before the day of the match, 10% is the actual equipment and 10% is skill.

SO to answer your question; you can do fine with a 6x scope, or even a 4x scope, as long as you setup the rifle properly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:08 am 

I've just been playing around with a Hawke 6-18 x 44 SR12 scope and I'm quite impressed with it.... Hawke have a free software (BRC) that you can download and use it to calibrate your reticle for your particular rifle.... I'll throw this out there for those who might like to give it a try.... the Hawke Map Pro 4-16 x 50 AO with the MAP6 reticle.... about $175 from D&L (or Scopes&Ammo.com ?)....

If you used this on an 800 fps rifle for example, you would have aim points for the top of the trajectory (15-30 yards).... centered at 38 yards (& 12).... and the lower points would be dead on at 42 (10.7) yds.... 47 (9.6) yds.... 51 (8.7) yds.... and 55 (8.1) yds.... The close aim points would be within about 0.1" of each other.... and the furthest out aim points would be within about 1/2" of each other.... All you need to do is make the correct decision about which aim point to use and then hold dead center.... :mrgreen:

That's where experience comes in.... :wink:

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:55 pm 

myob started the match with the scope re-set closer to the allowable magnification @ 16x for Hunter FT on the sight range but quickly switched back to 6x or so after a lane or two - after quickly doing the math with his <500 QB78 Del. sighted in for 10 YARDS or so - he did a fine job compensating for some long distance LOBS beyond 10 & ended up with a decent score. Kudos to myob.
( BTW myob, if you PM me your e-mail I can send U a pic of your first FT match .... if U want - PK )

I use a Leapers 8x32 scope on my QB 78/HPA & have NOT had a problem with it since putting it on the gun a couple seasons ago to attend the first Cdn. Hunter div match with parker101. I think he was using the same scope too.

(little recoil)

Some guys have had problems putting a leapers scope on a springer type airgun with more recoil - NOT recommended

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:07 am 

Well Powderkeg I have a spring rifle and a Leapers being shipped this week from D&L, Oh well. I hope the scope lasts long enough for me to at least break the gun in. If the weather goes bad the weekend of the 10th/11th will the match still be on?
As far as sighting the gun in would a shooting rest be required?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:27 pm 

TUF-Shoes wrote:
If the weather goes bad the weekend of the 10th/11th will the match still be on?
As far as sighting the gun in would a shooting rest be required?
Matches are generally rain or shine...only cancelled if the weather gets REALLY bad. If rain is expected, they often install tarps over the shooting boxes to keep you dry. Just bring appropriate footwear for muddy conditions, and if you're worried about your rifle getting wet you can make an inexpensive "rain jacket" for it with a big plastic garbage bag and some duct tape :wink:
To sight the gun in you'll want to place it on some sort of rest. I use a Sight-n-Clean I bought from Lebarons for about $25 that works great (and comes in handy for a lot of other things too).