Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:25 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

More bummer news ...

I received a call from a Port Colborne Conservation Club member, that runs trap and skeet events, on Tuesday evening and he informed me that he had been contacted by a Canadian Firearms Officer (CFO) in regards to the airgun shooting being done at the club. Apparently, someone called the CFO and indicated that the use of airguns shooting over 500fps might be taking place at the Port Club. The CFO informed the club member that he would be at the match on September 11th and would stop the event if PAL guns were being used and charges could be laid for any firearm offences.
The Port Club is approved for airgun, shotgun and archery only. When we first started in 2005, the CFO gave the go ahead for airgun field target events. Now, after this complaint, he will be forced to come back and enforce the under 500fps rule.
For now, the. I am considering a sub 500fps match with a modified course on the October 2nd date if there is interest. I have already purchased the chili for the Elmer Fudd match, so we do not want to waste that. After the October match, we would have the chili and Italian bread like we have done at the Fudd match for the past two years. We will leave the November 6th date and announce at a later date if there will be some kind of event on that day.
So this is a real blow to FT in our area. We will be seeking alternate sites and in the past people from area clubs have invited the FT group to try a match at their facilities. We will certainly be contacting these people and may come out on the other side of this situation with a couple of new venues, rather than just the one that has been hosting FT matches.
As new information becomes available, it will be passed on to you. Thanks for the great support we received at the Port matches and I am sure we will pick this up again at a CFO approved venue.
Take care.
Tim, Dennis and Chris
PCFTC Match Directors.

Tim MacSweyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:45 am 

WTF??? :evil: :cry:

Who is attacking FT? That has to be the biggest disappointment I've ever heard. :( :cry: :(

Some of the laws in this country really make me detest living here.......Liberal BS :evil:

For sure it was some XXXXX from EXmXrX, glad to see how guns enthusiasts treat each other. Keep it up, they will have guns gone from Canada in no time if gun owners refuse to even help each other/stick together, frickin' XXXXX.....

Sorry, I'm a little upset...... :evil:

Last edited by jgoodz420 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:46 am 

So the "Chief Fun Obliterator" will be there regardless? I will come shoot <500fps just to spite him.........

What if people with land in the country started hosting them? Or paying someone with private property? The CFO would be able to have his nose up that would he? provided we were following the "law"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:43 pm 

Tim, my D24 with the 5-15 is itching to go...
I'll be watching for a new date that will see us out there with our <5's... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:21 pm 

Well that sure throws a screw into the works. :( Hope it all works out for you guys. Might it be worth while to contact the CFO directly? He must surely realize that just because it says pal rated, that they have no where near the lethal range that say a .22 burner has.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:23 pm 

scruffie wrote:
Well that sure throws a screw into the works. :( Hope it all works out for you guys. Might it be worth while to contact the CFO directly? He must surely realize that just because it says pal rated, that they have no where near the lethal range that say a .22 burner has.

Yes I think this should be brought to attention. Is there anyway we can all work together on this? emails, letters, etc??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:08 pm 

Well that sucks raw sewage!

Just seems that someone doesn't like airguns......jeepers, I wonder who they might be...... :roll: :twisted: .

Maybe if those in the upper eschelons of LE spent more time conceiving strategies for dealing with the criminal element, they would have less time to devise new ways to harrass a group of law abiding, licenced, and responsible tax payers, enjoying shooting their pellet guns..... :rolleyes: .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:21 pm 

CAFTA is already working on solutions to this problem with some good contacts associated with the firearms office in Ottawa. We hope to create a category for airgun competition, much like shot-gunners have for trap and skeet. CAFTA will have a strategy meeting soon and a committee will be formed to work on this immediately.

Right now, shooting a PAL airgun is classed the same as shooting a 50 cal BMG. That makes great sense, doesn't it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:51 pm 

CAFTA events at Waterloo Club and Port Colborne Club have always been well organized and safety-conscious in every respect. Hopefully this is not some new form of cancer that will spread to all competitive shooting sport in Canada. :toimonster:

SUPPORT the Canadian Airgun Field Target Association !

Keep it up guys, & GO CAFTA !!! :supz:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:22 pm 

We should put together an FT match at my place, I used to have funshoots here quite often before people got retarded.. I also have property in wainfleet (100 acres) that I can use at anytime.. I shoot powderburners there so airguns would be a joke to shoot there.. If you guys can't find a place maybe we can figure something out..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:24 pm 

jgoodz420 wrote:
Yes I think this should be brought to attention. Is there anyway we can all work together on this? emails, letters, etc??

Great point and one I'd throw in on. We all have to work together or we will loose all access.

Tim, looking forward to hearing more about what the CAFTA is doing and if you need help count me in.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:30 pm 

rvd wrote:
We should put together an FT match at my place, I used to have funshoots here quite often before people got retarded.. I also have property in wainfleet (100 acres) that I can use at anytime.. I shoot powderburners there so airguns would be a joke to shoot there.. If you guys can't find a place maybe we can figure something out..

Holy Moses and Sweet Baby Jesus!! :D The Gods' of Airgun FT have given a Savior to our prayers!!
I second the motion to have the next match at RVD’s place! (Thanks Pete for the offer!)

Seriously though, I was very much looking forward to having the match on the 11th… I promised Backyard Blaster he could use my Stoeger X20 for the match and planned to keep my promise… Actually picked up the Stoeger airgun case from Lebaron today.

So I hope we can set something up soon for the month of September or definitely October… :(

Take care everyone,

NIGHTHAWK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:38 pm 

Parker_101_ wrote:
Tim, my D24 with the 5-15 is itching to go...
I'll be watching for a new date that will see us out there with our <5's... 8)

I too have a few sub 500fps air rifles that I can use and loan to those FT members looking for something to use during the match! I'm all game in keeping the FT shooting matches active as much as possible! :)

Take care everyone,

NIGHTHAWK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:14 pm 

Damn it! I was planning to drive down to that match from Ottawa :hsmash this is a huge bummer, was really looking forward to it :evil:

Quote:
I will come shoot <500fps just to spite him.........

Perhaps a little <25yard FT, like the Germans with their 7.5 joule guns :lol: ? Need to get my D24 tuned and ready.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:21 am 

We (CAFTA) are presently working on two possible matches. One would be an under 500fps match at Port on October 2nd. We have not decided whether to go a full rifle hunter type match or to open it to pistol or hunter rifle and just have separate awards for the classes. Some may not have <500 rifles, but they may have the <500 pistols, so if it would allow more folks to participate, that may be the way to go. When the decision is made about the format, I will send out the info by email and Parker will post it here like he has been doing. I appreciate that Parker.

The second match has not been confirmed yet, so I will not make any announcement with respect to venue or format until a date has been confirmed.

I have not spoken to Pete yet, but he has made a generous offer concerning the use of his property and that will certainly be explored as well. Thanks Pete.

Sometimes it takes a bit of controversy from the outside to bring the airgun community together, so in the long run, we may be a stronger, more tight knit group when we get to the other side of this. From the support we have had and the generous offers to help in any way, it is obvious to me that we will get through this and keep enjoying the sport of field target.

Thanks to all of you.