Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:39 pm 

Watertown wrote:
Waisted
I added an adjustable recoil pad to the stock butt, not for the recoil but for the comfort and to make it adjustable as I find the stock to be a bit high for me and I find I am tending to hold the butt high on my shoulder. This pad fixes this problem.
http://www.morganrecoilpad.com/servlet/Detail?no=6
I tried the Pilkguns trigger mod but I was not as pleased with the results as I had hoped. If I set the trigger for less than 3 pounds a hard pull on the trigger while the cocking lever is pulled back for loading will release the hammer. Perhaps a minor problem as most people don't pull the trigger while inserting a pellet but this feature is designed as a second safety. I find that a good sear polishing and then I put the hammer in a drill press and polish it with 2000 grit waterpaper and oil to a high gloss will result in a pull of about 3 pounds. Maybe I didn't do the trigger mod properly but I followed instructions with pictures and everything. :D
I had made a very crude wooden extension with a little butt hook for the 953, so I tried it on the 853C with all the existing extensions. Works really well. Looks dreadful :D .

Thanks for the observations on the Pilkguns mod. I'll leave things as they are for a while to give the trigger a chance to settle and wear in a bit, then I'll hopefully be able to see where the sear needs polished. In the 953 there was a high point where it rubs against the flange of the hammer during release. I like the idea of chucking up the hammer and spinning some fine oiled sandpaper on it!

I don't mind a heavy trigger - the trick is in getting total repeatability, which it doesn't have right now.

But this gun shoots really really well! I'm very pleased.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:40 pm 

This is the booklet that you need
https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/ ... ote5=&max=

It has the instruction on disassembling the 853 and the 3 trigger modifications; deburr the trigger, reduce the trigger weight, reduce the trigger travel.
IMHO, of the 3 mod, all you really need is one of them, and that is to deburr the trigger sear. That one mod will give you 90% of the improvement. And best of all, that is the easiest of the mods to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:47 pm 

lh wrote:
Surplus guns are destroyed in Canada. They go to a smelter in the maritimes.

And your prooof for this statement is where exactly???

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:01 pm 

Omega wrote:
lh wrote:

Why bring this thread back to life?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/aete/frequently ... ns-eng.asp

Quote:
Q. Can I purchase surplus military small arms, such as pistols and rifles?
A. No, the Department of National Defence does not sell surplus weapons to private sector individuals or agencies. Regulations governing the control of small arms explicitly preclude their sale to non-defence entities. Surplus Canadian Forces weapons and their piece-parts, which have not been sold to other governments, are currently destroyed through smelting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:01 pm 

lh wrote:
Omega wrote:
lh wrote:

Why bring this thread back to life?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/aete/frequently ... ns-eng.asp

Quote:
Q. Can I purchase surplus military small arms, such as pistols and rifles?
A. No, the Department of National Defence does not sell surplus weapons to private sector individuals or agencies. Regulations governing the control of small arms explicitly preclude their sale to non-defence entities. Surplus Canadian Forces weapons and their piece-parts, which have not been sold to other governments, are currently destroyed through smelting.

That might sound utterly dreadful and in the case of surplus 853cs it is indeed overzealous.

But if any of you have seen the movie LORD OF WAR with Nicholas Cage, then you would understand that it is a good measure. Literally millions of AK-47s and Moisan-Nagants and T-56 tanks and other hardware of the collapsed USSR were sold intact for weight of metal scrap...."those who knew did not care...those who aught to have cared...didn't want to know"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:04 pm 

I dont belive the dnd destroys the daisys unless they are damaged beyond repair. the air sqn i work at just got a bunch of rebuilt ones and we are sending our old ones back.