Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Field Target Selection
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:15 pm 

I've just ordered my first 2 Field Targets, a couple of Gamo squirrels. In preparation for getting a club going up here, I'd like to know how many targets I should aquire. I was thinking maybe half Gamo squirrels and the other half others, but would like some input as to how many and what kind might make a good selection.

Thanks
Gord

Last edited by moltogordo on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:26 pm 

Hi Gord. Any beginning is a good beginning! A full FT course will have 50 targets. Obviously that's a bit much for one guy. I used to practice FT on my acreage that I had in South Africa before I moved here, and we used to be 3 guys who had 25 targets between us. We set the course up so that we could shoot the course twice over, and changing the shooting point for the second go-around. So if you can get 5 buddies together, and each has 5 targets, you're in business. The type of target doesn't matter, as long as they are reliable. We had half Gamo targets, and half of them were Gamo copies made with thicker steel. They've all lasted for 3 years so far.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:14 pm 

Thanks! Your "Nine Hole golf course" sounds like an excellent way to start! I've got two other people that are interested, but I won't be able to do much work on FTPG until late January - schedule is just too crazy.

I celebrated by ordering a third target today. GST rebate! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:35 pm 

Hi Gord:

Almost all of our matches are 60 shot matches. We shoot at each target twice in North America generally. So that is 30 targets per course. We either have 2 or 3 targets per lane.

I would try setting up a minimum 10-15 targets in the beginning, shoot through the course, take a quick snack break, and have everyone shoot through again. That would result it a 40-60 shot match.

Hopefully you will have others who are willing to purchase targets and help with course set up as your club grows.

Good luck!

moltogordo wrote:
I've just ordered my first 2 Field Targets, a couple of Gamo squirrels. In preparation for getting a club going up here, I'd like to know how many targets I should aquire. I was thinking maybe half Gamo squirrels and the other half others, but would like some input as to how many and what kind might make a good selection.

Thanks
Gord

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:23 pm 

For our first shoot we had my 3 FT target and a variety of swingers. Two weeks later we had 15 FT targets. If there is interest, others will start buying targets as well.

I'll be picking up a half dozen Rhino targets and faceplates for the Gamo targets when I'm in Florida next month, so we'll have more diversity next spring.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:28 pm 

dhb wrote:
For our first shoot we had my 3 FT target and a variety of swingers. Two weeks later we had 15 FT targets. If there is interest, others will start buying targets as well.

I'll be picking up a half dozen Rhino targets and faceplates for the Gamo targets when I'm in Florida next month, so we'll have more diversity next spring.

do we stil have a meet on the 4 of dec?

dasy 953 , ncstar 3-9x42 compact
crosman mk1
crosman quest 500x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:31 pm 

poil27 wrote:
dhb wrote:

do we stil have a meet on the 4 of dec?

If winter hasn't started, I'll be game for it. I'll start a new topic closer to the date.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:34 pm 

dhb wrote:
If winter hasn't started, I'll be game for it. I'll start a new topic closer to the date.

If there is one thing I have learned about getting people out to matches, it would be the sooner they know about it, the more likely they will be able to schedule the time.

I will be getting my match schedule for next year's outdoor season at Port Colborne out before Christmas hopefully and that is quite a bit later than last fall. I post the scheduled dates as early as possible and then send out a reminder about a week before the date.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:57 pm 

It's a simple equation. ... More Field-Targets = More Fun.
J'is SAYIN'

:supz:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:38 pm 

Over the winter I will make a few home made FT for use to use .
won't be all fancy but will work same way and we will be able to reset them
with a string.

I will use all recycle parts to make them because I love doing that and it saves lots of cash.
and good for the planet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:03 am 

FRANK wrote:
with a string.

I will use all recycle parts to make them because I love doing that and it saves lots of cash.
and good for the planet.

Wish I had your mechanical skills. I'm just terrible in this area - I've gotten rid of all of my airgun modding projects and am sticking with off the shelf stuff. Just don't have it as a handyman. Tried and failed too many times.

I've got three squirrel targets coming now, and will pick up another half dozen or so before Spring. I appreciate the comments from all. It gives me a good idea of what can and should be done. What's that saying - from humble beginnings . . . . .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:17 am 

moltogordo wrote:
FRANK wrote:
with a string.

and good for the planet.

Wish I had your mechanical skills. I'm just terrible in this area - I've gotten rid of all of my airgun modding projects and am sticking with off the shelf stuff. Just don't have it as a handyman. Tried and failed too many times.

I've got three squirrel targets coming now, and will pick up another half dozen or so before Spring. I appreciate the comments from all. It gives me a good idea of what can and should be done. What's that saying - from humble beginnings . . . . .

well I was raised a redneck, and rednecks know how to get stuff done.
my FT won't look nice like the bought ones.
but will be more durable and will work the same way pull on a string to re-set them.

I could invite you over to come and make a few with me I have all the tools I will ever need to make a few.
would be kind of fun, I would even teach you how to weld with a mig if your interested in it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:19 pm 

FRANK wrote:
moltogordo wrote:
FRANK wrote:
with a string.

and good for the planet.

but will be more durable and will work the same way pull on a string to re-set them.

I could invite you over to come and make a few with me I have all the tools I will ever need to make a few.
would be kind of fun, I would even teach you how to weld with a mig if your interested in it.

I'll take you up on that the next time I'm in Ontario! And you're welcome to visit me any time you wish in Prince George. You'll feel at home. Lotsa rednecks. Me too! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:09 pm 

would be kind of fun, I would even teach you how to weld with a mig if your interested in it.[/quote]

I'll take you up on that the next time I'm in Ontario! And you're welcome to visit me any time you wish in Prince George. You'll feel at home. Lotsa rednecks. Me too! :lol:[/quote]

is that in N.S.? Darn it's in B.C.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:31 pm 

I picked up three of the Rhino Targets from http://www.FieldTargets.com when I was in Florida last week. The quality of the design and construction is amazing for the price. They seem to be sturdy enough for rimfire use! He has a deal on 3 replacement faceplates for the Gamo targets for $40 (shipped in the USA). When I saw how nice they were I broke down and bought an extra three. I now have more faceplates than I do Gamo targets! We'll have a good assortment of targets for springtime in Ottawa...

FYI, While I was in his workshop I noticed that he uses Rustoleum paints. He has done lots of experimenting with different brands and finds that while Rustoleum may cost a little more it gives the best coverage.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor