Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:37 pm 

Maxfax .. the TX200 sure is a beaut. I was drooling over it a while back too but I do really think it is a bit heavy for me @ 12 lbs & that decreases it's appeal (my personal taste)
Not sure if AirArms even has any dealers in Canada & unsure if they ship here as well.
You can make a chronograph at home, with a microphone, computer, tape measure. I have done some testing like this but am not sure of the prescision as I don't
have anything to compare the tests with.

I just wish we could get the Benjamin Marauder I'd go for that with only one concern (air refil/source) but then I am not sure of the cocking effort the cocking action of an NP XL1100. Not sure if I will like it .. as a spring rifle cocks starting easier & gets harder with cocking progession. The NP require the same effort/pressure from the start of the cocking action till it is cocked ..
Never owned a PCP or a Gas Ram/Nitropiston .. each of these platforms makes me feel I might regret my purchase later ... lol
I know I know .. I AGONISE over decisions - but this way I have my own gurantee to myself to be satisfied with my purchase.
So I've been looking for as much feedback as I can get & thanks for that (all of you guys)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:38 pm 

Cal22: oh my, I'd be chewing my toe nails waiting for gear to arrive. I think whichever option I go with I will be going option a different scope, something like: 4x16(or more) 44(or 50) Sidewheel AO, Illuminated R/G reticle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:00 pm 

GoodEnough wrote:
Cal22: oh my, I'd be chewing my toe nails waiting for gear to arrive. I think whichever option I go with I will be going option a different scope, something like: 4x16(or more) 44(or 50) Sidewheel AO, Illuminated R/G reticle.

Funny... I ordered a 4x16x40 AO with RGi Mdot Will have to wait and see what the baggage smashers at Canada Post did to it (sigh).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:44 pm 

GoodEnough wrote:
I just wish we could get the Benjamin Marauder I'd go for that with only one concern (air refil/source) but then I am not sure of the cocking effort the cocking action of an NP XL1100. Not sure if I will like it .. as a spring rifle cocks starting easier & gets harder with cocking progession. The NP require the same effort/pressure from the start of the cocking action till it is cocked ..
Never owned a PCP or a Gas Ram/Nitropiston .. each of these platforms makes me feel I might regret my purchase later ... lol
I know I know .. I AGONISE over decisions - but this way I have my own gurantee to myself to be satisfied with my purchase.
So I've been looking for as much feedback as I can get & thanks for that (all of you guys)

You know, after I got this Classic "souped up", I really don't have a desire to get anything else. Go ahead and do the improvements, and then make a decision. If I get anything else, it may be the Hammerli Magnum 850- largely because it is highly accurate, is in essence a PCP but easier to keep going, and my 10 year old may have an easier time shooting it than with his
springer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:57 pm 

Cal22 wrote:
GoodEnough wrote:

Funny... I ordered a 4x16x40 AO with RGi Mdot Will have to wait and see what the baggage smashers at Canada Post did to it (sigh).

It all arrived today - looks good. But it will be a while before I have the free time to make any changes. Once I do I will post my results. Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:08 am 

Maxfax - ty for the info :) & glad you are happy with the mod.
I would love to have at least 850 fps with the readily available .22CHP 14.3g
The mod makes a marked improvement (so I read), however; still it is said to be limited to sub 700 fps .... ?
(not sure as I haven't done it but a bit short for me personally)
I would absolutely do it in a *SNAP* if someone that had done the upgrade - tested & chrono'd the results to 850 fps.
Guess the tube size & piston stroke is not enough in the classic.

Where do you guys order from, I mean generally speaking - parts, AG's, Accessories, kits .. ?
S&A seems to be the only one ppl use. (that I know of)

Cal22 - does your new scope have a side adj objective ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:48 pm 

I will at some point get a chrony, maybe when I get my Hammerli magnum for my son or my HW97k. The replacement kit had the same size piston, no hole, and a much longer spring. The posted blog that described the mod only changed the piston, not the spring, and got sub 700 fps. The increase in FPS with both the new piston and spring will be way above 700, I believe. The cocking effort is much greater now. Definitely worth a try.

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:19 pm 

GoodEnough wrote:

Cal22 - does your new scope have a side adj objective ?

Here is more info. I decided to stop HiJacking MaxFax's Thread:

topic45700.html

Cheers - and good luck Max.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:24 pm 

maxfax !!! I completely & utterly .. overlooked that part (not changing the piston part) Thanks for pointing that out !
There is a post / topic somewhere that mentions .. shortening the piston by 2" & relocating the sear catch accordingly to compensate,
thereby allowing to reap more compression out of the spring.
Maybe I am getting mixed up .. I have read soooo many mod posts & watched copius amounts of Youtube vids.

I am going hunting for this topic of the mod, piston cut etc.

I've tried to chrono mine on an audio rec program & a mic placed 1/2 way between target & muzzle for 509 fps with alloy pellets.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:50 pm 

What program are you using for the homemade crony? I tried doing it last week, with no success. Which part of the gun noise wave do you use to start measuring from? From what I understand, part of the wave is spring noise.

The blog that you are referring to, states that there was a difference in piston size. However on my phantom 1000 spring kit, the piston is the same as that in the Classic, except no bleeder hole. This is why I also changed the spring.

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:05 am 

Maxfax ... I spent over 3 hours .. taking pics, typing text, inserting links, explaining what I did & how & after all that when I clicked send the site had logged me out .. so BIG FAT BUMMER & now I got a friggin headache from staring at the screen too ... lol
some one pls tell me settings on how to prevent this auto log out crap & also another thing ... why when I click any link in this forum it does not open the link in a new browser ... getting on me nerves.

anyway bud ... my buttock is sore from sitting here so I am just gonna post a link for ya ..
I iuse Protools ... u may use anything to record sound as long as it shows u a time code .. man I am sooo pissed I had EVERYTHING labelled even in the picture ...
will see if I can post it again 2morrow .. I have to study for a test & have a Karaoke show on Sunday to boot .. grrrr
sorry will post when I have more time bud .. in the meat time .. there are many examples of such chronos on google.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:56 am 

I realize you have modded the Benjamin Classic .22!

I was thinking of putting a phantom/quest 1000 nitro piston in my Classic as well.

I have the model where the piston has a bleed hole. So I will plug that up first and see the difference it makes.

What I will say is:

I love the classic. I probably only have about 100-150 pellets down it. But even so, I find it dead accurate. I can hit sidewalk chalk, the round writing side, and watch it 'poof' - almost every shot! And the shots I do miss, and I do miss, not the guns fault but me and my breathing and steadying issues, are so close that it bumps the little hunk of powdery goodness around, it just don't make it go 'poof' lol.

I love the classic! Maybe you got a lemon, which, can happen to anyone with anything. Good info in this thread, glad I found it!

To clarify, you have put in the quest NP conversion kit AND put the new trigger on? And your loving it? if all of that is true than hey, the venture is a smashing success! I am considering the trigger job on all my rifles. Particularly the dusk, which has a pull a mile long.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:47 pm 

Rob .. you were right .. I fashioned some mods, namely;
1. Stock trigger modded - it is now single stage (breaks like glass)
I like a bit of heft to my triggers so left it a little firm but there is no creep, what a night & day difference!!
2. Smoothened the crown, lapped the barrel, cleaned, lubed & applied moly where needed.
3. Raised the protrusion height of the breach seal for a better air lock.
4. Raised the height of the comb/cheek rest on the stock.

Have been taking bulls eye from a measured 55 yards & at 85 yards. (Crossman HP 14.3g)
Measured with a laser rangefinder & yes that is yards not feet.
May I add that if I were to do a cpl of more mods: perhaps adjusting the length of pull + a cpl of power mods, MAYBE glass bedding -
this AG will be a source of envy. Lots of effort put into it, the hand lapping itself left me sore for a cpl of days .. :)
Results are amazing .. infact so good that I seriously started to doubt my marksmanship, untill I repeated the 85 yard shot ! (one mil dot HO)
Even at 55 yards this is amazing for an over the counter Canadian Tire ag.

Chewy .. if you do the mods right .. you'll be a VERY happy camper.

I can't wait to get an Xl :))))

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:00 pm 

GoodEnough wrote:
Rob .. you were right .. I fashioned some mods, namely;
1. Stock trigger modded - it is now single stage (breaks like glass)
2. Smoothened the crown, lapped the barrel, cleaned, lubed & applied moly where needed.

Chewy .. if you do the mods right .. you'll be a VERY happy camper.

I can't wait to get an Xl :))))

Sounds like your doing everything right! I quoted you above, what do you mean in point 1 and 2 that I left behind?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:08 pm 

I'm glad to see that you are happy with the improvements. I'm happy with the increased power- can put a pellet through 3 heavy soup cans and three pop cans lined up! Before the mod, wouldn't perforate both sides of one heavy soup can consistently. No more changes for me now. Looking into getting a .17 HMR, and possibly another air gun- HW97.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next