Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:11 pm 

Hi all! Yesterday, I received my brand new Nitro Venom Dusk, today, I shot about 15 pellets until the gun stopped shooting.
I cocked the rifle, insterted the pellet (wich is pretty tight) then aimed and shot, but nothing happened.
I succefully removed the pellet from the chamber and "un-cocked" the rifle (I think).
I have some pictures of what I think could be the problem:

Pic: Image

As you can see, there's a little metal thingy(spring I think) that I think shouldn't be there. I hope it's only the trigger!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
This is off subject but here:
Normally I shot with Open sight, but this gun came with a 3-9 X32 scope.
I placed it on the Weaver mount and aimed. When I shoot, the pellet always go at the bottom right of the middle (dead point), and I always have to aim on the top left of my target to hit it, the targer (can) is about 6-7 meters away from me, i'm om a chair with the rifle on another chair to be very stable. And 4/5 I miss the target. why? Is the scope un-aligned or is it just me?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:14 pm 

If (I do not know for sure, on this rifle) the trigger is adjustable by that screw, it is possible the screw moved to where the sear cannot be tripped. Try backing out (lefty loosey) the screw a turn and try it again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:17 pm 

Daryl wrote:
If (I do not know for sure, on this rifle) the trigger is adjustable by that screw, it is possible the screw moved to where the sear cannot be tripped. Try backing out (lefty loosey) the screw a turn and try it again.

I'm not talking about the screw, but about the metal spring over it, I don,t think it's supposed to be up there. And I think this is why I can't shot anymore.
Is there a way to fix it without opening the entire rifle?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:31 pm 

The metal spring like that is normal. I would consider the set screw. Other than that, I'd remove it from the action and maybe strip her down to figure out what is happening.

This rifle should also have an anti-beartrap mechanism that would stop you from uncocking the gun. How do you know you did uncock the gun and how did you do it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:34 pm 

OOPS - sorry - I missed seeing that. Should it not be 'captured' inside. Looks like a trigger return spring to me. If you push the trigger forward as you cock the rifle, will it then fire properly? I am assuming it cocks OK.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:16 pm 

TEE wrote:
This rifle should also have an anti-beartrap mechanism that would stop you from uncocking the gun. How do you know you did uncock the gun and how did you do it?

Well, if I cock it, then pull the trigger (of course nothing happens) then try to re-cock it, the cannon just rise up by itself very fast and I can now re-cock it again.

I don't know if it's the trigger or the Nitro Piston but it really sucks! I shot about 15 pellets with it and it already breaks... I have another .177 Rifle, I know how to cock and stuff. This one just broke in my hands...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:31 pm 

Return it, it should never un-cock like that - good way to remove fingers. That return spring is just as it should be.

Crosman 2240

"Boredom sets into the boring mind." - James Hetfield

- Derek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:00 pm 

Sounds as if the sear is broken. Wanting to flip the barrel back straight, is uncocking it - it never locks. If the trigger is adjustable, the adjustment screw is righty-tighty too much, not allowing the sear to engage. If the trigger isn't adjustable, it's broken - so as the others aid, return it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:13 pm 
Supporting Members

Carefully with one hand on the barrel,pull it back and at the same time pull the trigger and slowly let out the barrel. It sounds like your sear wont release. It could have a burr or just be misshapen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:13 pm 

These rifles have adjustable triggers and the trigger can be adjusted so light that it won't shoot. You have to slap the trigger a few times for it to fire and be unsafe and fire with a small bump (digit chopping and barrel bending if the barrel is cocked).
Adjust the trigger with a few turns of the screw it should work if you haven't done any damage by shooting it while cocked.
You shouldn't let go of the barrel of a break barrel rifle or pistol (or the lever for under/side lever rifles) when loading a pellet.
Return the rifle and get a new one, thigthen all the stock screws when you open the box and ask questions here before doing stuff you're not sure about.
We've seen it all and probably worst than what you can think of so have no fear and ask away. Better safe than sorry. Especially when you're talking about breaking something you've just spent your hard earned money on or worst a finger tip or two! :shock:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:36 pm 

Sounds to me the trigger adjustment screw needs turning (lefty-loosy)- out increases trigger pull, in (righty-tighty) too far and it won't stay cocked, which is what seems to be happening. De-cocking autmatically, as noted above, is the problem. That is screw adjustment only. Didn't the rifle come with directions on trigger adjustment?

Note - if the barrel wants to return all by itself, that is the spring decompressing - ie: it is self - de or un-cocking. That is why it won't fire after you close it. Back out the screw 1/2 turn and see if it will stay cocked. If not, back it out another 1/2 turn- etc..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:31 pm 

STR8 Shot wrote:
That return spring is just as it should be.

Derek is correct the little spring on the trigger is suppose to stick out like that it normal and that's not why the gun isn't firing.