Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: smooth tubes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:45 am 

anybody ever made their crosman tube smooth?

im wondering about something like soldering over the writing to fill it in, then sanding it down smooth, then painting the tube.

any thoughts on how that might turn out?

Post subject: Re: smooth tubes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:07 am 

Yes that has been done before.
But remember if you are going to do something..... later, like HPA, just remember the tube is still "Weak".
Because it is "Heavily/Deeply Scribed and can be as dangerous as a "Exploding PineApple".

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:20 am 

ive never tried it on main tubes or nothing but on the stocks ive gotten that are chipped or gouged deeply ive used autobody filler (painted afterwards ofcourse), it sands down smooth and can be used on metal obviously lol just an idea ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:24 am 

Hacked2Pieces wrote:
ive never tried it on main tubes or nothing but on the stocks ive gotten that are chipped or gouged deeply ive used autobody filler (painted afterwards ofcourse), it sands down smooth and can be used on metal obviously lol just an idea ;)

is autobody filler a metal? i would want something that is going to bond to the metal tube.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:41 am 

popcanhunter wrote:
Hacked2Pieces wrote:

is autobody filler a metal? i would want something that is going to bond to the metal tube.

it works on fenders, hoods, doors... like i said ive never tried it but its a plausible option, whether it works or not is a different story

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:05 pm 

2240mod wrote:
Yes that has been done before.
But remember if you are going to do something..... later, like HPA, just remember the tube is still "Weak".
Because it is "Heavily/Deeply Scribed and can be as dangerous as a "Exploding PineApple".

how is it weakened? im talking about filling the writing with soldering, then sanding down only to original thickness.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:17 pm 

ill try the bondo thing today on a spare tube i got and ill let ya know the results ;) then sleep perhaps... bondo smells good lmao!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:39 pm 

Hacked2Pieces wrote:
ill try the bondo thing today on a spare tube i got and ill let ya know the results ;) then sleep perhaps... bondo smells good lmao!

take a big hit.... then when you need a breathe, only let a bit out and replace it with a bit of air... that will buy you a few more seconds of holding it in.... you can repeat this step for probably a full extra minute of holding it in.

good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:17 pm 

Bondo will bond to the metal, but I would suggest to use the fiberglass bondo. Its the same thing mixes the same way and will bond better and last longer. Also a tip when mixing bondo DON'T use cardboard to mix it on. it changes the composition in a bad way...

-never mix any type of bondo on a brown paper or cardboard piece. Brown paper or cardboard still has sodium hydroxide (lye) in it. The lye is used to pulp the trees in the production of paper products. The bondo draws this chemical into the mix and it weakens your filler. Bondo is best mixed on polyethylene mixing boards, auto body paper paper pallets, or even on zip lock bags pulled over a board underneath. We once did some destructive testing in our wood restoration shop with fillers mixed on brown paper bags or cardboard. By our estimates the adhesion strength of the bondo was reduced by as much as 30% or so.-

^found this online, I used to work in a custom wood work shop and we did the same tests with the same outcome.

"When Obi-wan talked about the darkside of the force who knew he was referring to windows...?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:57 pm 

popcanhunter wrote:
Hacked2Pieces wrote:

take a big hit.... then when you need a breathe, only let a bit out and replace it with a bit of air... that will buy you a few more seconds of holding it in.... you can repeat this step for probably a full extra minute of holding it in.

good luck.

lmao and if my lips turn blue am i doing it right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:13 pm 

Solder likely won't stick to steel. Liquid steel might work if you clean all the paint out of the lettering.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:01 pm 

Would use bondo myself.

Solder "sticks" to steel just fine if you use flux.....similar to lead body work on cars.

Al

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
Would use bondo myself.

Solder "sticks" to steel just fine if you use flux.....similar to lead body work on cars.

Al

X2 ive done some lead work on a former beaumont i owned but it this case id try bondo lol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:20 pm 

If you go bond (which will work well) be sure to prep the surface with sulphuric acid to burn off all impurities and coatings.