Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:23 am 

As soon as the seal is punctured, the Gas whooshes out all over the gun, my hand etc.

I've had this gun for years. Finally got it out to shoot at some .40 Cal Bees.
Dangitall! It don't work.

So what do you think it is? Can I fix it?

Attachment:
DSCF0365.jpg
DSCF0365.jpg [ 53.63 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]

Attachment:
DSCF0366.jpg
DSCF0366.jpg [ 48.04 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:50 am 

either the CO2 screw is stripped and no longer pushing the cart far enough to seal...inspect the treads, or you most likely have a bad seal

seems to be an older 357, i'd be surprised if they have a different seal then the newer model, either way, Eric at scopes and ammo can certainly help you, shouldn't be hard to work on at all, i think Ace is the one that took one apart, looks pretty straight forward, if you run into a snag, somebody here will gladly help you out

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:24 pm 

topic55889-30.html sent you a pm

"When Obi-wan talked about the darkside of the force who knew he was referring to windows...?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:37 pm 

Hi TP
First I would drop some pellet gun oil onto the seal, and let it sit for a while sounds like the seal may have gone hard.
here is a video link skip right to 21:00 and you will see were I'm talking about, if the oil don't work you will more than likely need a new seal, if you don't like or feel comfortable working on it maybe DV can help you or pm me and we can discuss another option for you. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsoWtGS3KD4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:08 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

The older 357's (with Brown grip handles) have different internal valve parts/seals than the newer (all black) 357's and Vigilantes- a couple of these older parts are not available from Crosman, so the easiest thing to do is swap the whole valve/piercing assembly and tube as a single piece (the new and old assemblies are interchangeable). For example: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... -kit-p-565

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:19 pm 

Shucks!
I clicked to have emails sent to me with reply's" :( But didn't get any!
Sorry for the Delay, I had to 'check' to see if I got an answer.

The Screw is not hurt, so it's the seals.
I'll take it apart and see if I can point out the problem.
Likely I'll have to buy a Seal kit though. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:25 pm 

My neighbour owns one exactly like yours and had that problem, the seal cost $1.93 at Gravel (got 2). At the same time I ordered the 2 little seal that are at each end of the tube betwen the 2 valves just in case highly suggested because leak can come from these 2 also. CO2 cartridge seal is very easy to replace. Ho forgot, get the little screen/washer that goes under the seal and at the same time his piercing pin seamed damaged so replaced it to . Most of all those parts cost me $1.93 8) Total cost was around $12 (replace also 2 or 3 other little parts in there).

That may help http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/C357-EVP%20&%20PL1.pdf

Prices are probably US$

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:46 pm 

I have the exact same gun which had the exact same problem. Like Silentman said order the seal (s) (got a few extra one just in case) from Gravel (they are in Quebec). It now works like a charm.

Here is the link to the store. http://store.onlinecamp.com/en/parts/crosman.html

Here is the brake down for the parts: http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/C357 ... %20PL1.pdf

Just punch the part # in the first link add to the cart and voila

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:51 pm 

Am I right, but i read some where that the seal used by crossman is the same as the Tanfoglio1911/KWC???

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:28 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Replacing the one caplet seal on the gun is generally not a great idea if the gun is 20+ years old- seals wear out. The caplet seal is usually the first to go due to extra contact wear by having the caplets installed, but the others will follow soon enough on an older gun- better to do a complete re-seal than possibly having to take it apart multiple times, ordering different parts in between.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:14 am 

OK, you guys are great. :mrgreen:
I have the Book now.
I'll work on the parts tomorrow during the Day.
We are Hosting Thunderstorms all day tomorrow, school's out at Noon and I shut down all my electronics during those light shows.

PS: If I ever get this thing going again, I'll be looking for some .177 Rat Shot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:51 am 

Oops, sorry showed of looked at your profile. You can get those seals from www.crosman .com directly, here in Canada we cannot order from there website! Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:32 pm 

AirGunEric wrote:
The older 357's (with Brown grip handles) have different internal valve parts/seals than the newer (all black) 357's and Vigilantes- a couple of these older parts are not available from Crosman, so the easiest thing to do is swap the whole valve/piercing assembly and tube as a single piece (the new and old assemblies are interchangeable). For example: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... -kit-p-565

I don't know if mine matches? I have the old (but I don't know how old) 8 inch grey one (that was supposed to be silver) with black grips.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:47 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

DocGadget wrote:
I don't know if mine matches? I have the old (but I don't know how old) 8 inch grey one (that was supposed to be silver) with black grips.

No idea- sounds like a custom put-together. Either way, the full valve/piercing assembly will fit it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:09 pm 

AirGunEric wrote:
Replacing the one caplet seal on the gun is generally not a great idea if the gun is 20+ years old- seals wear out. The caplet seal is usually the first to go due to extra contact wear by having the caplets installed, but the others will follow soon enough on an older gun- better to do a complete re-seal than possibly having to take it apart multiple times, ordering different parts in between.

What Eric says is very true, been there, done that.
Change all the seals, you won't regret it.