Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:02 pm 

for all intents and purposes it is finished, however I'm still waiting on a part from Derekvinyard. But I managed to (redneck) a fix, until it arrives. The part in question is the plug for the Disco gauge hole. I made a temporary (rednecked version) from a spent C02 cartridge. I simply cut the end,s off leaving some taper at each end, then put an o-ring at each end, and it worked. So far, at least 20 fills to 2000 psi and no leaks.
Anyway. This is a complete review of my custom gun. It started with the barrel. It,s a Crossman 24" .22 cal. I wanted to stiffen the barrel to eliminate, or , minimize barrel flex. So I used a tube from an old FX pump and put a brass plug in one end at the breech. Then filled the cavity between the barrel and tube with fiberglass resin. Then another brass plug at the muzzle end, then fitted a muzzle break over the muzzle. Then I had Jezx make a riser and 2 barrel band,s because the barrel now is the same DIA as the tube. Then I bought a Disco tube from Gmac, and a Disco valve from gravel Agency. When I had all the part,s together I powder coated all the pieces (even the barrel) using a powder coat kit from Eastwood. (freaking amazing product) I blended the colors to closely resemble gun blue. I think it came out OK. The stock I made from American Walnut finished in tung and teak oil from minwax. The forend grip and pistol grip are simply epoxy and fine sand also coated with tung and teak oil.
Today I did some testing. Accuracy, and shot count. The results are on the following pictures which I will explain as they are shown.
These first 4 are of course the gun itself. the scope 6-24x50 no name from China.
[img]http:s%20//i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/newfiejoe1/IMG_0284_zps12a8dca9.jpg[/img]
The first test was testing the pellet speed and accuracy using the RVA . The first 2 shots in the velocity pic were off because I forgot to turn the RVA all the way in. Then backed it out 2 turn,s for the string. The first 20 shots were at 23 yds. in 10 shot group,s. Image
The rest were at 50 yds with the last 11 trailing off the sheet.Image
The velocity and shot count were very good IMO.Image
The next string was RVA out 4 turns at 50 yds each circled group was a different scope setting.Image
The next string was RVA out 6 turns the pic shows 6 turns and 8 turns. I lost the top half of 6 turns when I cropped the 4 turn results. but you get the idea 60 shots.Image
The first 40 shots in 20 shot groups were at 50 yd,s. the remainder at 23 yds, but I lost the pic.Image
The last group was at 23 yds RVA out 8 turnsImage
Again I lost the pic of the first 50 shots but they were all the same as the last 50
The last pic I tried rotating it but it wont copy rotated.
Well it,s something to look at anyway. Enjoy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:11 pm 

Nice work, Joe. Impressive results. Congratulations on an excellent job!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:23 pm 

seem you found a good recipe in your three last pics ,good stability in speed and accuracy,,
you might be proud after all the pellets shooted :lol:
normally i always suggest to waist the 3 or 4 first shot of air ,to be closet of stable speed of your pcp,,

but yours seem need 17 waist of shots to gain the top hahahah but as your not hunting ,,its only more time to shoot,,,

nice woods built too ,hours of sanding pleasure :lol: ,,,but it worth the effort ,,,,,,,

i think you table too would like you spent time on it hahahahahah

target man

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:48 pm 

The table is an outdoor table. Beyond help.
One thing I found with my test,s was there were sudden drops in velocity for no apparent reason. As much as 50 fps. Another thing I noticed was even though the extreme spread was over 100 fps, with the 8 turns out of the rva, the poi didn't change from start to finish. And another observation during some fun shooting, I tried full power rva all the way in and shot and sighted the scope in at 23 yds. After about 6 shots I didn't want to waste all that air and power on 23 yds, to I moved out to the 50 yd target and the impact was dead on, no scope adjustment.However thet was only on full power . About 840 fps.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:58 pm 

Looks and shoots great, Joe. Nicely done!

All you need now to finish off the clean look is to get or make a cap for the fill fitting and it would be perfect!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:00 pm 

Very nice work Joe, very nice indeed.
I was away for the long weekend, but finished the part today. It will be in the mail tomorrow.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:14 pm 

DerekVinyard wrote:
Very nice work Joe, very nice indeed.
I was away for the long weekend, but finished the part today. It will be in the mail tomorrow.

Michael

Thank you Michael. I hate to strip everything down again, but would feel more comfortable with the correct part in there. Redneck parts can be scary.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:40 pm 

Nice review there Joe.
Your redneck part with that amount of pressure is questionable. But thats JMO.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:23 am 
Supporting Member 2013

very nice , great shot count from that disco tube .

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:56 am 

Very nice wood work again Joe! Just really like the curves you put in wood!
Nice shooting together for a cobbled together gun!

You need to be given a gallery on here of all the stocks you have created for yourself and others!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:34 am 

Wait - there's a home powder coating kit? That sounds like all sorts of awesome :)

Congratulations on a beautiful looking nice shooter!

Jim

[edit - just been poring over the Eastwood website. I'm practically drooling. So much shiny, oh my. Do want!]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:02 am 

EverHopeful wrote:
Wait - there's a home powder coating kit? That sounds like all sorts of awesome :)

Congratulations on a beautiful looking nice shooter!

Jim

[edit - just been poring over the Eastwood website. I'm practically drooling. So much shiny, oh my. Do want!]

Pretty sure I paid less than $70 for my PC set up off eBay, Jim.

Just don't use the oven in your kitchen to bake the PC on. Your missus WILL NOT be amused :lol: :lol:

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:19 am 

blade57 wrote:
Pretty sure I paid less than $70 for my PC set up off eBay, Jim.

Just don't use the oven in your kitchen to bake the PC on. Your missus WILL NOT be amused :lol: :lol:

$70 is pretty affordable, I'll have to see what I can find. I noticed the warnings about using the oven. Looks like toaster ovens go up to 12" square at reasonable prices, so I guess you could get about a 15" part across the diagonal with something to support it. That would cover a lot of stuff I'd want to do, but the things that didn't fit would be really annoying.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:41 am 

The advantage of a toaster oven is the 110 v vice 220 v.you can then take it outside if you don,t have a garage or shed. For the long stuff I coated like the tube and barrel, I built an oven from a length of 7" ID super flue with a single burner hot plate as a heat source. An oven thermometer. an electric baseboard heater switch with built in thermostat. and an old glass pot lid.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:42 am 

Joe do you have pictures of this MacGyver oven? sounds fascinating...

http://plinkercases.ca/