Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:13 pm 

Got this S&W M&P 40 pistol off a friend at a very reasonable price...because he has not been able to use it.

Problem is that any powerlet installed blows off all the Co2 before it even starts to get sealed.

I thought that I could solve it by soaking the seal overnight in pellgun oil - but no dice. :(

The tab seems to be cinching up the powerlet quickly enough - it just won't seal properly.

Am I missing something obvious - or am I just screwed.

Any suggestions? (IF I can't solve this issue; I will just sell it as is and let someone else try and fix it with full disclosure as to it's problem)

Pic:

:?:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:35 pm 

one old trick to try is putting a small bit of plumbers tape on top of the co2 neck. super cheap and it works alot. if it is leaking somewhere else your out of luck.

The plumbers tape is real thin.don't use anything else that will be to thick.

But it might still be worth fixing depending on what it new,

Worth s shot anyway. best of luck.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:38 pm 

pokermaster wrote:
one old trick to try is putting a small bit of plumbers tape on top of the co2 neck. super cheap and it works alot. if it is leaking somewhere else your out of luck.

The plumbers tape is real thin.don't use anything else that will be to thick.

But it might still be worth fixing depending on what it new,

Worth s shot anyway. best of luck.

Good idea - I have some around here; will give it a try!

:)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:48 pm 

i don't know if its just the angle of the pic but the tip of that piercing pin looks a little buggered, and that end seal needs replacing as well. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:29 pm 

It looks exactly like mine.Now we both have wall hangers. :lol:
I have the same problem and was told it was not fixable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:41 pm 

twister wrote:
It looks exactly like mine.Now we both have wall hangers. :lol:
I have the same problem and was told it was not fixable.

Yup - the plumbers tape did NOTHING.

It is a piece of SH@T! :butthead:

If anyone wants it; you can have it for the cost of shipping it to you (about $15.00; I think). The mag works fine... :roll:

:evil:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:45 pm 

Yup that's what I am doing with mine.Just waiting for someone that needs a parts gun and it's thiers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:17 pm 

I gave a tutorial on this. If you're willing to venture out, here's a tip.
Two part urethane rubber is the cat's butt. Most hobby stores carry it. I use Alumilite Flex 80. Durometer is 80, very hard.
So, get your hands on this and do the following.
Using a dead cartridge, coat the end of it with a release agent. Mix up a small amount of Flex 80 (or whatever you end up with). Keep mixing slowly until the rubber starts to gel (setup), it will get a little harder to stir. Now apply a thin coat to the end of the cartridge, being careful not to get any into the hole. Make sure your coating is even and not running. Now gently insert the cartridge into the chassis. Do not apply pressure with the screw as this will displace the rubber. Keep the pistol inverted so that only the weight of the cartridge is applied to the seal. Now wait until the rubber fully cures.
The new rubber will act as a filler and create a new seal and it should adhere to the original seal if it is also urethane rubber. If the original seal is silicone, disregard this advice, it won't adhere. In this case, you would use a two part silicone product.

PS - I just noticed that you had added pellgun oil to the seal. You will need to clean this off before proceeding with this method.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:25 pm 

Thanks for the info - but I have had quite enough of this pistol.

Someone else can take on the challenge of trying to fix it - or not; as they choose.

At least they can use your method if they want to try.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:37 pm 

Cough cough. Have any of you considered, just remove the seal flip it over and use the gun :shock: :shock: . Most times it is due to over tightening, the seal takes shape of the powerlet neck. Take it out flip it around. If it doesnt seal. Contact manufacturer or build your own seal. JMO.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:58 am 

Whitewolf wrote:
Cough cough. Have any of you considered, just remove the seal flip it over and use the gun :shock: :shock: . Most times it is due to over tightening, the seal takes shape of the powerlet neck. Take it out flip it around. If it doesnt seal. Contact manufacturer or build your own seal. JMO.

X2 Kim I forgot to mention the seal flip trick :wink:
but if the seal has gotten hard and brittle it wont work. :( but definitely worth a try.
this is a simple fix'r upper wllm :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:17 pm 

Ace wrote:
Whitewolf wrote:

X2 Kim I forgot to mention the seal flip trick :wink:
but if the seal has gotten hard and brittle it wont work. :( but definitely worth a try.
this is a simple fix'r upper wllm :wink:

Thanks a lot for all the tips, guys - but it has been sent off to a good home.

The new owner has his own plans for it - good luck to him!

8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:15 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Most of the Umarex Co2 products can use a Crosman caplet seal (i.e. the $2.25 part that is $5.00 from a Umarex dealer (like us) for the "genuine" article, if they have stock. Piercing pin- same thing- $2.00 vs. $5.00.

These types of guns are labeled as "not fixable" not because they are not fixable- but no repair centre can charge little enough to make a $50.00 plastic gun worthwhile to repair-it's all "DIY".