Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: UBC benchrest challenge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:29 pm 

After the pellet testing last time, I thought I'd have a go at scoring a target this time, so I shot the UBC benchrest target at 10m with H&N match pistol in the 953, shooting fully rested. The UBC rules for this target score 10 for the bull with an extra 1/2 point if the bull is completely obscured, so max for the 20 shots is 210 points.

Attachment:
ubc-challenge1.jpg
ubc-challenge1.jpg [ 414.36 KiB | Viewed 2013 times ]

Looking at the scan, I mis-scored target 13, so I think the total score was 201/210. The 9s on the last two targets was a bit of a kicker - guess I was getting tired!

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:42 pm 

Very good performance from the side of shooter, Jim! Bravo!
And a bit unexpected (for me) from the side of 953, mine had ugly fliers each time.
My personal best on this target was 204 with Daisy 853 and I must say among 20 shots I had at least one "9" each and every time :axe:

Last edited by vitalymezh on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:42 pm 

Now that's some nice shooting there Jim, I thought you said you couldent hit bull :? 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:53 pm 

vitalymezh wrote:
And a bit unexpected (for me) from the side of 953, mine had ugly fliers each time.

Don't forget Jim is "cheating" with his 953. He has the Lothar Walther 853 barrel on it. (Just kidding, Jim! Just Kidding!) :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:49 am 

lleader wrote:
vitalymezh wrote:

Don't forget Jim is "cheating" with his 953. He has the Lothar Walther 853 barrel on it. (Just kidding, Jim! Just Kidding!) :lol:

:) Quite right. I was struggling with the original barrel, although I wonder if it would have improved if I'd just put a lot more pellets through it. It's hard to be sure how many shots it had seen, but probably between 500 and a thousand. It didn't feel like it was improving though!

I also did some other work on the gun; it has the trigger mod, an adjustable piston, the stock is packed with lead and finished with an extended, adjustable butt plate and a cheek riser. Oh, and I put a spare air stripper on the muzzle, but that will have to come off again when I set it up for peep sights.

It's a fun target eh Vitaly? Surprisingly hard to pick up those last 10 points. So I have 204 as a challenge to beat :D

If anyone else wants to try, you can get the target from the UBC competition website:

http://ubccompetition.btck.co.uk/BenchR ... ompetition

(It's the pdf towards the bottom of the page). You have to be careful when you print it as it is designed for European A4 paper, and it you print it on letter by default it gets reduced quite a bit. The outer circle should measure 40mm when printed. Typically you need to find the setting on the printer dialog for print at 100% or "don't shrink to fit" and then ignore the warnings about clipping.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:14 am 

Well, I've had a couple more goes at that target and haven't been able to break 200 again - 193 and 194. It's a pretty tough challenge, at least for me! I'm beginning to think I need to build a benchrest rifle in 22 for this :)

Anyone else had a go?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:20 am 

What range for this with a rifle - 20 to 25 yards?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:36 am 

Hi Daryl,

for the official competition they use it at 10 yards with optics or 6 yards with iron sights. I've been shooting it at 10m (with optics).

The competition site is

http://ubccompetition.btck.co.uk/BenchR ... ompetition

Regards,
Jim