Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: barrel cutting
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:55 pm 

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on buying a longer barrel for my 2240.

Does it make sense to buy the 24" barrel to cut down to make a 10" or 12" barrel?

I guess my real question is can the left over barrel be drilled easily to accept the transfer port and cut to length to make a second barrel???

I'm not a machinist but I'm handy.

Tazz

Post subject: Re: barrel cutting
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:59 pm 

Yeah, cut it in two. Recrown it and you'll have two barrels. You'll need the transfer port put in and the leade to feed the pellet just past the transfer port.

Done it before.

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:50 pm 

I was wondering why I can't buy a 10.1" .22 caliber barrel in Canada. I've seen longer, which can be cut, but why not the 10.1" which btw is available south of the border? I also wonder why they offer it in .177 Lother Walther match version, but again, not in .22 caliber.

Is there something weird here about the law surrounding barrels? I found a place (US) that will ship me one, but if it won't make it through customs, what's the point?

I thought this thread was relevant, so rather then start another thread, I apologize for the hijack.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:59 pm 

I ended up using a 1322 barrel on my 2240. It is about 10.3" which was close enough for me.

It does have the 'rabbited' muzzle where it fit into the 1322 barrel band, but I have that hidden under a 'muzzle break'.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:09 pm 

I'm tempted to buy the 24" barrel and make it into two, as the original poster mentioned. Nonetheless, I would still like to clear up with anyone that knows about shipping parts from the USA to Canada. I know anything to do with scopes is totally out, but is there something about barrels? What about other parts, like custom breaches, shrouds, etc?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:51 pm 

RACKnRAIL wrote:
I'm tempted to buy the 24" barrel and make it into two, as the original poster mentioned. Nothing wrong with having two bbls out of the deal. A lathe is benificial but a Handy Person and some common shop tools including a Dremel type unit can do it.Nonetheless, I would still like to clear up with anyone that knows about shipping parts from the USA to Canada. I know anything to do with scopes is totally out, but is there something about barrels?Bbls are mostly dependant upon the vendor. What about other parts, like custom breaches, shrouds, etc?Breeches no problems, shrouds can be dependant on the declaration of wording. And if any internals for a shroud cover....BIG NO NO.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:39 am 

I can't believe what a pita and expensive it is for you guys to get parts. So unfair... You could send whatever to me, along with a shipping label, and I'd slap that on and send it in its way. I have no doubt it would be expensive, but if it's that or nothing then I guess its worth considering...
I was thinking about the Walther/Lothar too, which are incredible. Crosman has them for your gun but I'm not sure if they'll sell them as a part. The other option would be buying a Lothar barrel blank (~24)". More $ but I'm sure you could find a use or maybe sell the remainder. Keep in mind they're choked so you only get one of those from a blank, but even unchoked the remaining is still better than any other barrel.
Just some thoughts... A blank is ~112 US$ btw.
http://www.lothar-walther.com/455.php

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:29 pm 

For those of you that have cut barrels down and crowned by hand.
How was the guns accuracy when tested?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:40 pm 

tazz wrote:

I have a very good friend, a 20+ year airgun enthusiast that has cut many barrels. He is a perfectionist and won't stop tinkering until his guns are exactly what he wants, including accuracy. He does mostly all of his work by hand. He's impressed me many times with his creative ideas for modifications. He is cheap, so many mods that people pay ca$h for, he finds a free alternative, from cutting barrels to making his own springs. So definitely, it can be done.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:44 pm 

It depends on the barrel. Good barrels are consistent so cutting only costs power. Bad barrels like those made in china will differ as you go down the bore, and typically the muzzle has damage. I like to cut the damage off and they're usually ok, but if the barrel is loose 2" below the muzzle then you may need to cut that 2" off to get it to shoot straight. Sometimes there doesn't seem to be a reason for accuracy problems so you lop off 1/4" at a time until it works, if not you get another barrel.
But as a general rule cutting and or recrowning is easy and almost always better than the factory did. Now better guns with a choke is different, like a Lothar barrel you won't want to cut, one is they don't need it, two is why mess with perfection. A Diana barrel may be choked, but often the muzzle is fubar so you have to at least remove the damaged part and hope the remaining choke is good enough. The choke should be ~3cm,and usually damage removal is just 2-5mm, so not bad.
Also: This is why I don't buy guns with non-removable suppressors like Gamo, Stoeger etc because you cannot cut any bad spots back without ruining the plastic end. I know you guys aren't allowed to have suppressors, but apparently they're still in place but not functional. Guns like a Benjamin Trail or XL the suppressor is removable so you can cut/crown as needed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:06 pm 

Can get Crosman barrels from at least three separate sources in Canada that I'm aware of.(Scopes and Ammo, Gravel agency, D&L) Scopes and Ammo has the .177 lw barrel for the 22xx/13xx in stock. They usually have more variety than currently, but that's the way it works...when his order comes in, he has more variety than when ready/waiting for an order...at least his website reflects what is actually IN stock. Have purchased the 10.1" in .22 from Eric in the past.

LW blanks were available from Scopes and Ammo for a time as well. Couldn't get them shipped up from the US dealer, and demand was evidently not sufficient to make it worth while continuing getting them from Germany. Last one I bought (16mm od in .22) was ~$185cdn to my door...what is otherwise unobtainable is a good deal at any price IMO. :) Still a bargain compared to pb barrels.

There is supposedly another fellow out east whom is dealing the LW blanks...have the name somewhere, but have not done business with him as of yet.

Dan (Sniper) at the forum store occasionally has LW barrels for the Hatsan rifles as well...if a fellow can adapt them, they are one alternative.

With regard to the comment about chinese barrels....have found them to be about as good as Crosman barrels...some a good deal better. (QB barrels, and some of the cheap break barrels) I suppose YMMV eh. :rolleyes:

Al

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:35 pm 

HI,

Gun and Ammo list this one as stock;

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... rrel-p-505

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:47 pm 

That's a .177 not a .22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:49 am 

I saw on another post you said you have a 14" barrel? So I'm guessing you did what you wanted? I was curious if you cut a barrel or bought it ready made, what kind/brand, and is it working as you hoped?
Did you do a bulk fill mod too?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:09 am 

RACKnRAIL wrote:
tazz wrote:

I have a very good friend, a 20+ year airgun enthusiast that has cut many barrels. He is a perfectionist and won't stop tinkering until his guns are exactly what he wants, including accuracy. He does mostly all of his work by hand. He's impressed me many times with his creative ideas for modifications. He is cheap, so many mods that people pay ca$h for, he finds a free alternative, from cutting barrels to making his own springs. So definitely, it can be done.

So who, pray tell, is this mysterious wizard, or is he/she not interested in stirring cauldrons for cash? :)