Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: FWB 800 FT !!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:35 pm 

Hi Tim, I'm glad to hear you like your Steyr more than any other gun, for FT only of course. I have many Airguns that are not suited for FT, but great for hunting and just plinking.

I recently bought a second Steyr, a LG110 Hunting in .177 and 12 f/lb.

I know it is crazy, but since the first time I laid my eyes on that gun, I said I have to have it. The gun is fantastic if you like to shoot HFT. That's why I bought it. I think you can use it for regular FT as well. But it is a screamer for HFT. I have a 10 power Bushnell tactical that is perfect for shooting HFT in the States.

HFT is about 130km from my house. It's the Tacoma revolver Club.

Been there during the summer, great place to shoot.

Thanks

Biagio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:19 pm 

Biagio that's not a P800X FT that's an uncured modded P800 10M belonging to Cheng in US. Its the second one in US as well the first has been with their reigning Nationals Champ since Jan 2013.

There are known problems as said nearly three years ago with both 10M and X FT models.

Modding the 10M will need the stabilisor sorting out or scrap the action when fails! Chengs not done.
Cradle creates zero shift, again Chengs not sorted he don't shoot to find out.

The FT doesn't have a stabilsor so cost cutting and also nothing to cure.
Power is a straight forward packer with dubiously long titanium mushroom head M3 long screws holding packer, reg and cylinder to action where it will never tighten up sufficient always having movement.
They have used a longer hammer, power adjuster and spring with the packer, that's it using the 10m reg as first thought.
Firing cycle seems quite slow compared to the 10m modded, maybe the longer valve duration giving a slower softer cycle and no stabilisor.
Either way they need curing for zero shift but power stability they are fine.

You can get the 10M to shoot dead, one owner puts a pellet on turret and fires a pellet through without it dropping off.
Theres a lot more to just doing the power conversion as in Chengs, that's just 20% of the workload.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:25 am 

Something right out of Star Wars. I always had wood stocked models with aluminum accessories!

Beauty!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:41 am 

Above is number 7 a 10m modded and fully sorted for power and zero shifts. Prototype T50 with milirad glass ret whilst March has to go back yet again.
Stock stripped and re anodised titanium grey, other bits orange to be different.

2min 33 onwards last week.
http://youtu.be/W0Z9wrdeISs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:49 pm 

Very interesting.
I would have thought that FWB would have designed a new platform, and try to work away from their 10m guns. Just like Steyr, they have developed a different system than their 10m guns, and also changed their transfer port, for their Ft guns. One more thing, that Hamster looks like it will fit my Steyr pretty good, just have to erase the name. Funny

Still looking like a mean FT gun though.

I do love my Steyrs a lot a lot.

They are hole in hole machines. Now if I can only shoot as well as my guns, then I should be golden.

Thanks for the info Jon.

Have a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:49 pm 

They are all 10m rifles whichever way you look at it all with inherent problems.
Theres no way any 10m producer will change things unless its beneficial to the 10m rifles. So will never ever have a cure on that logic. It also opens the old case up of not listening to what the shooter wants, doings things as 'they' see fit often the easy route and being tested by their own people ala S&B! What that means is the producers make and design stuff which in all honestly is utter crap and marketed, the list here is endless from the so called best in the biz.

Steyr is a 10m with absolute minimal change and cost cutting. Just like Tesro, Walther, Anchutz and Feinwerkbau.
The P800 FT has more mods away from standard 10m spec than any Steyr to date with that ludicrous palm shelf. New bolt no stabilisor, new hammer, new hammer spring and shorter power adjuster discounting what you would want to junk ie muzzle weight, palm shelf, rail and butt pad.

If your used to a Walther, old Ripley, any AA to date, you will find they shoot great. Compared to a modded 10m the valve duration seems a lot longer and softer firing cycle. Modded JHP800 seem instant and dead as a well setup Anchutz 9003 and Steyr LG110. There are numerous ways to get the power but it depends how its done should we say to get best effect unheard of to date, been there done it tested 3 configurations two years ago side by side.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:41 am 

Hi Jon

I think, I'll stay with my Steyrs, I just need time to practise.

All the best

B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:39 am 

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47712

for sale boys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:07 am 

Good find they don't come up that often Peter.
If it really is 2 1/2 years old I wish he was closer, not only that its better than brand new and run in. If genuine early it will have the older valve you cant buy for love or money, I have only two left.

He is wrong about the normal aluminium stock coming out first, 2012 the only P800's were alum stock later called the X. and the laminate Universal. By 2013 a normal basic non adjustable cast like Steyrs and everything else was introduced along with the adjustable cast model now renamed X and two cheaper wood versions in the P800 lineup.

Once you have handled the X and set it up you will never go back to a conventional stock showing up whats wrong with all other stocks, especially the Steyrs. Mind the Walthers aren't bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:18 am 

I think I'm ok, my steyrs will keep me busy for some time.

If anyone wants to buy my AA Evii it's for sale at 2200.

Biagio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:22 pm 

Just done this one Biagio converted 10M.
Too much to list piccied without the cheek raiser lost at anodisers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:20 pm 

Image I WANT ONE :drool: :prayer:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:50 am 

Wow that's nice

I have always wondered about the lever to open the chamber, I guess it is a little modified, since the scope will be in the way, from lifting the lever.

Very nice job on the rail, it looks great.
Any chance, I'll get my rail any time soon?

It's ok I know you are very busy

Biagio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:10 am 

Hi Jon
What do you think about this creation
It almost resembles the FW

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 142.65 KiB | Viewed 1964 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:03 am 

Looked at converting one back in April last year but thought Steyr will release as a production item maybe this year and every Tom, Dick or Harry will have one. Then thought ok for 10m what its designed for, needs serious work if a contortionist isn't to shoot it. Cheeks are really thin as well and that forend thing wants slinging.
Theres loads got them direct from factory, just an LG110 in different chassis and a P800X wannabee.
Know of one for sale if it hasn't gone, 1 week old owner prefers his P800X and wants another his 3rd!

To give you some idea of the value for money the Steyr stocks two main parts none adjustable, the P800X is seven offering infinite adjustment the Steyr can only dream of.

Had a Steyr Challenge Electronic for a few days then slung it back, dreadfully slow and no feel in the trigger.
Cannot beat a mechanical trigger but for marketing if I was to make another rifle again I may opt for the electronic route as anything will do however crude, easier and simpler to make. You have always got that delay with electronic triggers you don't have with mechanical. Steyr triggers have always been the let down which are a simplified version on first rifle I designed and made as a total one off 23 years ago, but mine like glass.