Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:10 pm 

What do I do for a rifle? Use my 2240, converted with an 18" Crosman barrel and an aluminum pipe stock. My biggest complaint is the trigger, which feels sticky even with the various mods done to smooth it out. And the lack of regulated air pressure... but a guy who builds custom regulators is looking into that for me, says he just needs to find the right disc springs. Seems the small inside diameter of the HiPAC won't be a problem.

I think this month I'll be using my other non-rifle, the Brocock Atomic pistol, also converted to a carbine but with its original short barrel. It sits in a hollowed-out Boyd's Blaster stock, a light weight RWS 4x scope on top. I've spent a fair bit of time fine tuning the guts of this one to extend the shot string, and while it's not the most accurate or most consistent, I'm getting 70 usable-ish shots with about 50 in the middle at fairly consistent velocity. At about 6fpe it ought to be enough to knock the targets down. I Just have to be careful in estimating distances so my holdover is right.

The only 'rifle' I have is a QB57, but it's apparently only capable of tin can level plinking accuracy so that's not going to be used for HFT unless I'm feeling very silly. Somehow rifles don't appeal to me generally. Mostly it's the weight I suppose. That FX Impact is a different story - a very lightweight bullpup I can easily see myself using all the time, leaving everything else in the closet. Hope we manage to get those in Canada, with the baffles removed obviously.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:41 pm 

I'm the opposite of Gerard. I like rifles more than pistols. I have a 2240 that will get slowly modded into a carbine that can be converted quickly to a pistol.

As for accurate rifles for FT I am shooting a $130 Stoeger X5 and it's holding it's own. I'll upgrade at some point. For now it's "good enough". I personally think shooting is a lot more the shooter than the gun. I'm working on my skills first then when I need to I'll see what a good gun will do for me.

More to come....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:29 pm 

Well guys, I am sorry to say I will not be there next weekend. Germany calls :) Have a great shoot and be safe. See you guys in April.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:57 pm 

Have fun over there! I'll have to bring your grippy tape and de-pinger to the next one then.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:30 pm 

Just bought a Primos Trigger Stick Gen 2 Tall Mono Pod! Will be ready for Sunday with the Discovery.

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:32 pm 

Beats the heck out of my chopped-up ski pole! But until I see decent scores with that I'll follow NFG's lead and stick with cheap. If I can manage to get 35/40 once or twice maybe I'll upgrade to a serious monopod. Haven't even properly tried seated monopod shooting yet though... where does the time go when we're at Mission? The day just seemed to evaporate last month. I was actually surprised when someone said it was time to clear out, and Rick said we'd been shooting for 6 hours! And me with hay fever and no anti-histamines... fuzzy eyes and all. This time I'll be prepared. No mere pollen is going to have me rubbing my eyes and blinking through the scope.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:07 am 

GerardSamija wrote:
Beats the heck out of my chopped-up ski pole! But until I see decent scores with that I'll follow NFG's lead and stick with cheap. If I can manage to get 35/40 once or twice maybe I'll upgrade to a serious monopod. Haven't even properly tried seated monopod shooting yet though... where does the time go when we're at Mission? The day just seemed to evaporate last month. I was actually surprised when someone said it was time to clear out, and Rick said we'd been shooting for 6 hours! And me with hay fever and no anti-histamines... fuzzy eyes and all. This time I'll be prepared. No mere pollen is going to have me rubbing my eyes and blinking through the scope.

Yeah, and we were shooting basically that whole time. Lunch break was maybe 15 minutes? Even when other people were taking breaks, we were out there shooting mints, spoons, and plastic swingers! Airgunning seems to be a bit of a time warp.

I have a friend from UBC coming out with us this time, too. He did his PAL / RPAL with my group, and got his around the time I got mine, but just hasn't done much shooting of any sort. I guess he's going to get stuck with my Diana!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:50 pm 

Hey Mike. The Diana air rifles are great guns. I love my 48. I should shoot it a little more, same with all my springers. It seems like I have more time for my gas guns, than any other. I love the super accuracy from my PCP guns, especially the regulated ones. I might bring my EV2 out, it has not been shot much this year. My AA TX200 did kill 3 bunnies in the back yard so far. Yummy they were good.

Now I have a question for you guys out there, What gun would you buy, for FT. A nice Steyr, or RAW 1000 Hammerli AR20 FT. or a AA S510 in .177. HW 100, or even a small gun like the AA S200.

Or like the nice springers that are out there today, AA TX Prosport, AA TX 200, HW 95, or even something as nice as Walther new LGU rifle.

I do I would love a beautiful TX 200 in a nice Ginb stock with a nice springer kit.

See you guys Su8nday, I hope so.

Biagio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:02 pm 

I'm holding out for the new FX Impact! Airgunsource has confirmed that they are going to try and import it. 6.2 lb gun with easily changed out barrel to all calibers from .177 to .30, adjustable power, regulated, and bullpup configuration. Also, it's a take-down rifle that can be stored in a very small case! It's basically my dream pellet gun. In .30 cal, it can get close to 100 FPE!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:42 pm 

You and me both Mike. I think I'm in love with the FX Impact. While not exactly following 'classic' airgun lines (even remotely), it appeals strongly to me as a fan of science fiction films. Looks like a prop from a really well thought out Sci-Fi flick. Such a neat piece of design work. And now that I've seen it assembled and ready to shoot in 45 seconds I have only three questions - How soon? How much? And how am I going to build a stacked case for it which can fit neatly into a backpack? As neat as the briefcase is it's not very practical for taking hiking and camping. Of course all the convenience would be meaningless if it wasn't accurate, but with FX Smoothtwist barrels I don't think that's going to be an issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=modfhp9hi6Q

For anyone wanting a simpler, no doubt much less expensive, and really lightweight air rifle fun there's this interesting prototype hinting at a nifty little thing about to come to market:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJYECikA3L0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:58 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:

For anyone wanting a simpler, no doubt much less expensive, and really lightweight air rifle fun there's this interesting prototype hinting at a nifty little thing about to come to market:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJYECikA3L0

Brocock Compatto Air Rifle

:supz:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:22 pm 

Hah! I recognize the scope on that Brocock! Just got that same one!

We'll find out if it's any good this weekend.

Man, all 3 of those guns are sweet. Still, I love the pure functionality of the Impact. The shot count on that is going to be great, too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:32 pm 

That brocock is a beauty!!! I wonder if we will get it in Canada being "semi" bullpup? The impact is a neat looking rifle aswell.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:35 pm 

They're blabbing about the cost of the Impact now over on GTA. Apparently AoA has it on pre-order at $1,899. That's giant US dollars. So it'll be a while for me, saving up and justifying it... and wondering if FX will come out with something even better by the time I'm ready to buy one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:37 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
They're blabbing about the cost of the Impact now over on GTA. Apparently AoA has it on pre-order at $1,899. That's giant US dollars. So it'll be a while for me, saving up and justifying it... and wondering if FX will come out with something even better by the time I'm ready to buy one.

I'd have a hard time shooting it after giving an arm an a leg to acquire it haha.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next