Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Rebuilding my 140
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:30 am 

I am finally restoring my 1956 era ( I had to work 40 hours landscaping our new back yard and my father was a Crosman wholesaler at the time ) Model 140 Crosman and have cleaned it up, bought a seal kit and are stymied on how to oil it after the rebuild. I have ordered some Ballistol Oil but what should I be oiling for the first time after rebuild and how much oil to put on all the new seals especially the dreaded quad-ring???
Thanks for any guidance you can give me
Robin

Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my 140
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:00 pm 

Hi Robin welcome to the forum, maybe you'd like to properly introduce yourself first here is the link to do so introduce-yourself-f13.html

If you have it apart just put a drop or two on the dreaded quad seal..... :lol: before reassembling it.
or if you have it all together just add a couple drops into the pup chamber and cycle the 140 and take a couple dry fire shots and it will work its way around all the seals :wink:
the 140 is a great little pumper 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:59 am 

don't use balistol oil. to keep your gun shooting, use either 30-WT hydraulic oil, 30-WT NON DETERGENT motor oil, or automatic transmission fluid. DON'T use gun oil.
as previously stated, a couple drops in the comp tube to initially lube the valve, etc.. after that, only oil the back of the piston cup, ( the part you can see when the pump arm is open ), the main body of the piston, and all pivot points. do this at the beginning of every shooting session, so the oil gets distributed by the pumping action.
you don't need much oil. 2 drops on the back of the piston cup, 3 or 4 on the main body, and 1 or 2 on each of the pivot points. enough oil will get sucked into the comp tube, in the form of vapor to keep the valve and piston cup lubed. if you do this religiously, the gun will last long enough to pass on to your grandchildren. too many of these guns have failed due to nothing more than lack of proper lubrication.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:26 am 

i 'M IN TROUBLE. i TOOK APART MY 140, CLEANED IT UP, BOUGHT NEW SEAL KIT. INSTALLED SAME AND OILED LIGHTLY WITH 30 WEIGHT NON DETERGENT. PUMPED GUN UP AND IT WON'T HOLD AIR JUST SEEMS TO PUFF OUT THE BBL JUST AS IT DID BEFORE i PUT IN NEW SEALS. ANY IDEA WHERE i MIGHT HAVE GONE WRONG?
THANKS
ROBIN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:25 am 

As in it puffs out the barrel every pump? If so then the valve is not closing or is damaged. Was the spring in the valve good? Was the valve able to move freely? I'd probably use tranny fluid as lube because some O-rings don't motor oil. If you end up taking it apart then clean it out and wipe the O-rings dry, then use the tranz fluid since I doubt it's been long enough to cause damage. I assume the seal kit included a new plunger, how about new valves? The oem valves could have various problems, new ones should be white plastic like teflon or similar long lasting material.
If it'll help, here's the parts diagram:
http://tinyurl.com/Crosman140

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:17 am 

where about's are you located ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:57 am 

Ace wrote:
where about's are you located ?

moontrash wrote:
I'm from Johnstown, Ont---50 miles south of Ottawa on the St. Lawrence River next to Prescott and across from Ogdensburg,NY.

:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:33 pm 

lol... thanks Doug :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:05 pm 
Supporting Members

Hold on a sec, ill post a few pictures that may help......you may have put the poppet(I think thats what its called) in backwards

Last edited by notec on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:12 pm 
Supporting Members

Some pictures I took the last time I had to change the quad on mine. Should give you an idea what to look for. And a link to a helpful topic.

topic15675.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:24 pm 

Trigger may be missing return spring. Try hold g trigger forward and pump......
trigger must block the 'hammer' looking piece from popping back due to pressure in valve.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:17 am 

I CONFESS I LEFT OUT THE #140-36A VALVE PIN WHEN I RE-ASSEMBLED WHICH I WILL REINSTALL.THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT REPLIED AND THANKS FOR THE PICTURES. I SEEM TO HAVE A DIFFERENT TYPE THAN MOST SHOW.. i DON'T HAVE A SPRING#111-030 ( LENT THE GUN OUT TO AN UNCLE YEARS AGO SO MAY HAVE HAD IT APART????).ALSO THERE IS A VERY TINY LOOSELY COILED SPRING THAT SITS SIDEWAYS IN THE PLUG ON LOWER TUBE THAT HAS A PUSH BUTTON??? I KNOW MY GUN IS AN EARLY MODEL AS I GOT IT IN 1955-56. IS THERE A 1930-12 BREECH GASKET AVAIL OR DOES ONE MAKE ONE FROM SUITABLE NEOPRENE HOSE??
THIS LITTLE GUN IS COMPLICATED BUT I HAD SO MUCH FUN SHOOTING IT WAY BACK WHEN
ROB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:58 am 

lol....well that might do it :axe:
something wrong with you keyboard as well, like maybe your cap's lock key :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:33 pm 

Pics of yours when apart will help.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:08 pm 

We will try again and send with attachment -
The gun now works after I put in all the pieces albeit a little lower in power than I remember. There are still some issues--like breech gasket a bit scrunched up--is there a replacement avail ?- mine does not have sleeve.
Also no gasket under rear breech screw-does it matter?
My sear block and rear of lower tube button is a riveted one piece assy-needs to be pushed in before pumping up gun--is this just old style?? There is definitely no spring in this assy.
I really appreciate all the support from the forum guys-thanks again
Rob

Attachments:
image1.JPG
image1.JPG [ 30.58 KiB | Viewed 1171 times ]