Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Barrel crowning
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:59 am 

Is there a member in Calgary who has the proper tools and know-how to crown barrels?
Please PM
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Barrel crowning
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:23 pm 

I don't live in Calgary, but most guys (& gals) have the proper equipment.
It is not rocket science.
You are allowed to use your imagination for smaller bore sizes. Again, it is not rocket science - turning the barrel/gun every few seconds while you rotate your 'tool' guarantees a perfectly symmetrical muzzle crown. The big one in the picture has shot a number of MOA groups at 100 meters using open IRON sights, proof, the crowning method works & is accurate. Note, a lathe can simplify the operation.

Crowning

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:52 pm 

Handyguy wrote:
Is there a member in Calgary who has the proper tools and know-how to crown barrels?
Please PM
Thanks

Whitewolf(Kim) can help you out!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:43 pm 

Sure but at an expensive of close to 4hr rnd trip drive for 5min of work. Not overly practical at these fuel prices.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:18 pm 

Hence the reason I was asking for someone IN Calgary.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:26 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I don't live in Calgary, but most guys (& gals) have the proper equipment.
It is not rocket science.
You are allowed to use your imagination for smaller bore sizes. Again, it is not rocket science - turning the barrel/gun every few seconds while you rotate your 'tool' guarantees a perfectly symmetrical muzzle crown. The big one in the picture has shot a number of MOA groups at 100 meters using open IRON sights, proof, the crowning method works & is accurate. Note, a lathe can simplify the operation.

Crowning

Daryl, can you elaborate on "crowning"? Is there anything else involved in this "crowning" method other than what is presumably the aluminum oxide sandpaper seen in the photograph? Not even a brass screw in a drill with valve grinding compound?

To recrown a muzzle a lathe is most desirable. If a lathe is not available, there are muzzle cutting tools that will do a very good job.
See, for example: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... r_1=MANSON PRECISION
For muzzle lapping tools, see http://www.brownells.com/items/barrel-c ... -tool.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:52 pm 

Never thought of that? I have 3' of 3/8" brass. Could make a whole batch of barrel crown lapping tools. Or even a lease tool? Lease it for $5 and have it returned to me.

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:27 pm 

PM me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:56 pm 

A typical round head screw that is slotted will do the trick. Most desirable is brass due to its softness. Lapping compounds vary from tooth paste to baking soda to actual lapping compound. Paste type Automotive polish with do the same.
Yes lathe done is most desired but improvising is half the fun. Keep it simple guys. Just take things slow. Little at a time and a good 8X magnifying glass is benificial to watch for that clean shiny roll over of the rifling.
Just remember put a pellet, bass ackwards 1mm into the bbl prior to starting. Keeps all debri away from the bore and choke. Nice simple clean up, too. But then JMHO.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:13 pm 

Handyguy: What kind of gun and caliber is it? The need for a perfect crown varies on the gun, and some come with crowns or muzzle ends that are just inexcusable and need the barrel cut down a bit first. The crown on most airguns isn't all that important so a simple home job using a variety of tools usually works perfectly. Can you post a close up pix of the crown along with the gun info?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:51 am 

Chevota wrote:
Handyguy: What kind of gun and caliber is it? The need for a perfect crown varies on the gun, and some come with crowns or muzzle ends that are just inexcusable and need the barrel cut down a bit first. The crown on most airguns isn't all that important so a simple home job using a variety of tools usually works perfectly. Can you post a close up pix of the crown along with the gun info?

I did try it myself and the accuracy went for crap. Not that it was that good to start with using my selection of pellets.
It's the Archer repeater upgrade for the QBxx in .22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:38 am 

Unless you really screwed it up I think it's something else. Like other bore damage, too big of a bore, tight spots etc. Or if using a scope it may be parallax. I attached a pix of the tool I usually use to make crowns. It's just a cheap $1 countersink tool to prep wood for flat screws, but it works great. After I check to be sure there are no burrs left behind, if so I use a scalpel or whatever to remove them. Better guns I'll sand and/or use a different tool to finish it better but it isn't important on cheap low powered airguns.
Try pushing a pellet thru the barrel with a dowel and feel for roughness and tight spots. And use good pellets, no Daisy or anything made in china. Try to use at least Crosman Premier which are usually available locally.
Let me know about that stuff and if using a scope and I'll try to help.

Attachments:
Tool.jpg
Tool.jpg [ 28.77 KiB | Viewed 1876 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:07 am 

I have one of these, but I was under the assumption that the angle was too great.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:04 am 

A cutting tool as shown, needs perfect alignment or the chamfer will be wonky, technically speaking. :wink: If using the tool pictured and you push the chamfer tool through a denim cloth patch into the crown, this will help prevent chattering- a tip from my Dad. It works. However, a light touch is all that is needed on an air gun - pushing through the cloth might be too much pressure. Such a tip is needed when chamfering CF rifle barrels or ML rifle barrels.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:23 am 

The brass screw with lapping compound is the easiest and safest way to redress the crown, air gun barrels are softer than powder burners so they don't take much effort to remove material. I use a 10-24 round head screw in my drill press and do a figure 8 with the butt. Put a cleaning patch in the end so nothing gets down the barrel while your doing it.