Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Spotting scope
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:18 pm 

CT have them on sale, picked up one for $59. Now I can see where I hit the target and not have to walk every shot.

:shock:

Post subject: Re: Spotting scope
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:55 pm 

An alternative is to put the money into a scope with magnification that allows you to see pellet holes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:14 am 

Then I would need 6 scopes :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:46 pm 

Penage guy only has a single rifle in his collection. And I think he once mentioned a BB pistol with a faulty seal :)

Before landing a decent angled spotting scope (table tripod, 45x zoom, 68mm lens) the solution for seeing where those .17 pellets landed at 10m in my then poorly lit basement was using a cheapo digital camera. I'd take a pic after firing the shot at max zoom and would review the pic in the viewfinder. This worked far better than using binoculars and sure beat getting up and walking up to the target each time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:03 am 

Joolz wrote:
Penage guy only has a single rifle in his collection. And I think he once mentioned a BB pistol with a faulty seal :)

Joolz, are you still following me? Why? We've had our conversation.

Seatec wrote:
Then I would need 6 scopes :shock:

You don't have any scopes at this point? If not, you probably are not shooting at great distances. If you have lower magnification scopes, then by all means use a spotting scope.

Seatec wrote:
I can see where I hit the target and not have to walk every shot.

If you shoot groups of five and then check them out you would save the shoe wear that comes from getting up and checking the target for each and every shot taken.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:58 am 

I rely on those targets that reveal a bright green dot when hit.
Or I have a spotter with a pair of binoculars call out my hits & misses.
I think the prices for spotting scopes to be high, even in the pawn shops.

In regards to scopes, some of us don't use them.
But then again...you could always use an old high power scope that the reticle has fallen out of for a spotting scope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:26 am 

I don't shoot at a great distance, 40 - 100 ft with red dot. I'm in it more for building and modifying to see what I can come up with, then in a few years will have a new hobby or old age will catch up with me.
I never stay with one hobby, just like to try everything, modify it , sell and move on, so in a year or so I will have all my guns for sale probably.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:05 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:
Joolz, are you still following me? Why? We've had our conversation.

lol. Don't flatter yourself.

SureShot wrote:
I rely on those targets that reveal a bright green dot when hit.
Or I have a spotter with a pair of binoculars call out my hits & misses.

Wish that duct seal came in fluorescent green. If so I wouldn't need a spotting scope/digital cam or in the case of Penage guy, a scope on every gun. And that's the issue that I have, my homemade targets are printed with black and dark grey lines. No problems when I miss and hit the white but when the pellet hits any of the printed areas and imbeds itself into the duct seal (paper placed against it) then it becomes very hard to tell where it's at from 10m away. Which is why the spotting scope comes so very handy. Oh and a used one on kijiji is still cheaper than hiring a spotter for the day :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:26 pm 

Hows the eye relief? I found so many of the cheaper ones soo bad that I felt like I needed to stick my eye ball in. Or it was soo light it was impossible keeping it from shaking. Or not really clear at all and never could focus.

Also would be great to know which model you got.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:31 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Wish that duct seal came in fluorescent green. If so I wouldn't need a spotting scope/digital cam or in the case of Penage guy, a scope on every gun. And that's the issue that I have, my homemade targets are printed with black and dark grey lines. No problems when I miss and hit the white but when the pellet hits any of the printed areas and imbeds itself into the duct seal (paper placed against it) then it becomes very hard to tell where it's at from 10m away. Which is why the spotting scope comes so very handy. Oh and a used one on kijiji is still cheaper than hiring a spotter for the day :)

I have a block of this stuff but I've yet to get around to punching some pellets into it.
The targets I use are Shoot N C

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:26 am 

If you have a smart phone that you can install apps on and a laptop, you can set your phone up as an ip webcam and place it off to the side of your target (protect it with something if you're scared you might hit it with a stray) then connect to it with your laptop and view your shots on the laptop screen from where you are shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:39 pm 

I like those targets that have the green spots when hit as well. A bit pricey if you are shooting a lot. My old spotting scope, which I no longer have, was good past 20m but couldn't focus at close 10m shooting indoors.

Daystate Huntsman Regal XL .22
Benjamin Trail NP XL .22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:07 am 

leadslinger wrote:
Hows the eye relief? I found so many of the cheaper ones soo bad that I felt like I needed to stick my eye ball in. Or it was soo light it was impossible keeping it from shaking. Or not really clear at all and never could focus.

Also would be great to know which model you got.

Glad someone revived this thread, had completely missed this post by leadslinger.
To try and answer your questions: there are no markings on the scope. No idea what it is but whoever built it, did a fine job. Thing is stable, solid and works beautifully and is only about a foot long. For instance, just now as I took pics of it I pointed it towards a small sticker on the wall some 8m away. The smallest print was just under 2mm high (that's tiny) and I had no problems reading it, it was very clear and crisp, despite being so close by and under poor lighting. Since a .17cal pellet is some 3x larger, you'd have no problems zooming right into your target.

When I first used this, it was under 6m away and again, no issues with parallax and/or a non crisp image, even at 45x zoom. Couple of weeks ago I had it pointed at a full moon and the image was spectacular, even at just 45x. A lot of these have 60x magnification. Since I don't shoot pellets 200m away, 45x works pretty well for me.

It has a quick acquisition tiny "scope" which is very handy. It can be adjusted to pretty much any angle, so having it sitting on the bench beside you means you just have to swing your head over. Many spotting scopes lack this, having a straight tube much like a telescope. Wouldn't be too practical on a bench.

As far as eye relief goes, these are meant to have your eyeball right against the glass for a full field of view. However I could easily read a single letter of this tiny 2mm text from 6" away. Clearly the farther back your eye is, the smaller the field of view gets. But for targets you wouldn't need to press your eye that close.

Maybe I just got lucky as I bought this as a package deal along with a couple of hunting scopes for dirt cheap without having much knowledge of spotting scopes. As it turned out, this is the ideal setup for my needs. Sure beats taking pics of the target and reviewing the shots in the viewfinder.

Attachments:
spotting-scope.jpg
spotting-scope.jpg [ 140.43 KiB | Viewed 1988 times ]