Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:01 am 

Will a Quest/Phantom 1000/800 rebuild kit fit in the newer style Phantom?

I bought a .22 Phantom a couple of years ago from Walmart because I thought I would be able to plug a hole in the piston...however, I was told that my gun doesnt have the same spring/piston as the 800 - that they stopped using that detuning method before my gun was manufactured.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:33 am 

Msit No'kmaq wrote:
Will a Quest/Phantom 1000/800 rebuild kit fit in the newer style Phantom?

I bought a .22 Phantom a couple of years ago from Walmart because I thought I would be able to plug a hole in the piston...however, I was told that my gun doesnt have the same spring/piston as the 800 - that they stopped using that detuning method before my gun was manufactured.

That would be correct, the piston is longer I believe on the newer Phantoms but can be modded to shorten it, there are other detunes too, you will need to see for yourself, your own Phantom. There are "How Toos" on the internet on how to shorten it. A spring change alone would bump the FPS up some. Am not sure what spring they use in the PAL rated version of the Phantom but anything other then a stock one would be better. If you can find out what gauge wire the spring is and the OD of the spring, as well as how many coils it needs then you can just order one from here

Last edited by niblixdark on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:41 am 

Cant go by what they said. You need to actually open it up to find out how its detuned. Could be a longer piston, could be a hole drilled in the piston, could be shorter piston with a weaker spring. Could be a hole in the piston with a weaker spring.

I got one with a weaker spring AND a hole in the piston.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:46 am 

I'm sure it has a weaker spring...it cocks very easily.
I was just wondering if the rebuild kit for the Phantom 800 would fit in my detuned gun....I would rather simply purchase the kit instead of trying to mod what I have been stuck with.....it seems really underpowered compared to my 2240...even when I had the stock 7" barrel on it... a really noticeable difference

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:05 pm 

Msit No'kmaq wrote:
I was just wondering if the rebuild kit for the Phantom 800 would fit in my detuned gun....I would rather simply purchase the kit instead of trying to mod what I have been stuck with.....it seems really underpowered compared to my 2240...even when I had the stock 7" barrel on it... a really noticeable difference

If you got a PAL, B18-00-4D Spring 13.40$ something at the dealer.

Don't use because it cocks easy its underpowered. I got one that cocks as easy as a crosman raven and shoots 680 -720.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:07 pm 

Msit No'kmaq wrote:

What does the mod kit come with? You most likely will need a new piston, piston seal & spring. If thats the case, just get it then if it comes with all that in the kit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:09 pm 

niblixdark wrote:
Msit No'kmaq wrote:

What does the mod kit come with? You most likely will need a new piston, piston seal & spring. If thats the case, just get it then if it comes with all that in the kit.

Depending on what piston he has, All he needs is a spring. But without exploring it, its unknown what he needs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:13 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
niblixdark wrote:
Msit No'kmaq wrote:

Depending on what piston he has, All he needs is a spring. But without exploring it, its unknown what he needs.

Yeah definitely, you have to take the stock off and knock those pins out and get the guts out and take a peek, measure the piston length and inspect the top of the piston for holes and also take a look at the seal to see how damaged it is if at all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:22 pm 

niblixdark wrote:
Msit No'kmaq wrote:

The kit comes with the piston, spring and seals

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:57 pm 

I bought a wally world special recently. (CS5M22) Mine has the stock piston with a weak spring. A simple spring swap and a lube tune with moly gives me 740fps with CPHP. Mine was very twangy with the full power spring. There was enough clearance to use thin wall shrink tubing on the guide to dampen the twang. A piston liner works equally well.
If your gun is built like mine all you need is the spring, some moly grease, and several hours on your computer learning how to do a lube tune.
You should use a spring compressor to install the full power spring.

edit: 700-725fps with CPHP seems average after the change. The fastest I have chrono'd with mine is 765 fps with light 13gr H&N lead pellets. It seems not many b18s (the platform upon which the phantom is built) reach 800fps in .22cal with a stock full power spring and a lead pellet.
my $0.02

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

Last edited by ricksplace on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:09 pm 

Why buy the kit when you might just need a 14$ spring?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:11 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

I understand your logic but its better to do a full tune up IMO, seals are usually crap right from the factory, the piston .. well you could bypass that unless its a detuned shortened piston, then more reason to get all in the kit !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:30 am 

ricksplace wrote:
I bought a wally world special recently. (CS5M22) Mine has the stock piston with a weak spring. A simple spring swap and a lube tune with moly gives me 740fps with CPHP. Mine was very twangy with the full power spring. There was enough clearance to use thin wall shrink tubing on the guide to dampen the twang. A piston liner works equally well.
If your gun is built like mine all you need is the spring, some moly grease, and several hours on your computer learning how to do a lube tune.

edit: 700-725fps with CPHP seems average after the change. The fastest I have chrono'd with mine is 765 fps with light 13gr H&N lead pellets. It seems not many b18s (the platform upon which the phantom is built) reach 800fps in .22cal with a stock full power spring and a lead pellet.
my $0.02

Thx for the info... I'm not sure where to get access to a spring compressor though...this stuff is all new to me :/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:36 am 

Msit No'kmaq wrote:
ricksplace wrote:

my $0.02

Thx for the info... I'm not sure where to get access to a spring compressor though...this stuff is all new to me :/

I got one in Halifax, I'm giving away that surplus to my needs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:44 am 

niblixdark wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

I understand your logic but its better to do a full tune up IMO, seals are usually crap right from the factory, the piston .. well you could bypass that unless its a detuned shortened piston, then more reason to get all in the kit !

Its 57.99 for the kit. When its 13.43 and like 5$ for a spring and seal. WHY buy a piston when you don't need too? But if you want to spend more money for something you don't need to be all mine.

I never bought a piston ever for any of my B18 style airguns.