Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:09 am 

I've got the Gamo Rocker target which despite some criticism has held up well for me. I'm looking for another similar magnetic resetting type target, but there doesn't seem to be too much else available in Canada. Any suggestions?
I don't have time to make one myself which is why I'm looking for recommendations, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:25 am 

I have two different magnetic knockdown targets but I don't remember what the brand or models are. I'm sure one is the Gamo that you have. Anyway, one is quite small and the other much bigger.

I would NOT buy one again. Neither one works very well, and both often don't knock down even when hit solidly. I had to open one of them up and fiddle with the thing to better align the magnets because they were only contacting the targets at the edge, not the center. And even with rifles shooting a max of 700 fps, from 15 feet, the targets would bend (curve) and again I had to open the thing up and bang the targets flat. Because curved, it was even harder for the magnets to contact the targets.

Why do you want one? What distance and gun would you use with it?

What I like much better than these is a biathlon training target that I got from Cibles. It's got 5 bulls and a cord for resetting them. And the one I got even has a reducing plate that I can install to give me 15mm bulls instead of 35. This works really well for me (and it a lot of fun) with all my rifles.

This is the biathlon target I have which I really like: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BT15S-Prone-Standing-10-Meter-Biathlon-Falling-plate-training-system-/371616004265?var=&hash=item9527f8c216

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:55 am 

I must have gotten lucky with the Gamo target I got as it's been quite reliable with no fiddling.

I like the ease of resetting the targets using the magnetic reset with no strings needed. I shoot at about 25 feet most of the time indoors so any of the larger targets are just too big to be any challenge. All my guns are under 500fps so I don't typically have issues with damage.

I've seen that biathlon target and have considered it before, maybe I'll take a closer look again!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:56 am 

This one looks interesting, there are a few like it, most coming in from Russia.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BULLET-TRAP-AIR- ... SwmfhX6bk6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:09 am 

fishguy wrote:
I must have gotten lucky with the Gamo target I got as it's been quite reliable with no fiddling.

I like the ease of resetting the targets using the magnetic reset with no strings needed. I shoot at about 25 feet most of the time indoors so any of the larger targets are just too big to be any challenge. All my guns are under 500fps so I don't typically have issues with damage.

I've seen that biathlon target and have considered it before, maybe I'll take a closer look again!

Or maybe I was just unlucky.

If your budget can take the hit (it's expensive!) then that biathlon target would work great for you. You just pull the string to reset it. And if you ever think it's easy then just put the 15mm plate in. I keep telling myself that once I can consistently shoot down 25 in a row then I'll switch to the 15mm. But it hasn't happened yet. Actually I haven't used it in awhile now, as I've mostly been shooting pistol and FT with another rifle. But I should set it up again and give it a shot :) with the pistol.

BTW, this is the bigger magnetic target I have: http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/auto-reset-shooting-target-trap/A-p8391963e It's the one I had to open to reposition the magnets better, and also to flatten out the ducks.

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:50 pm 

Ditto on that princess auto. Nice unit, but I only shoot with <500 fps at 15 yards and even with .177 I get dents and bends. So sometimes will be 50/50 if the target will catch the magnet and stay down or just wobble back up. So the maintenance includes taking the unit apart and hammer the targets and the reset back flat. Otherwise, it's a great concept, just tilt the unit and shake to empty the pellets.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:07 pm 

If magnetism isn't a requirement, this works well for sub Pal AG http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/m ... -p8664641e
I have no problems getting them to flip even with a powerless gun like the Daisy 953. I even add a bit of duct seal to the targets in order to keep the pellets from ricocheting (which makes them hard to flip - which is a good thing as it adds to the challenge)
Low cost and easy to reset, just hit the top target. No cords to pull. You won't be damaging these with sub Pal pellets.

Another one I picked up that looks pretty neat is the zombie one, as it lets you choose from different target sizes (3 or 4 sizes). Not magnetic, requires a pull cord so if you're still not turned off by that, it's cheap and looks fun. Haven't tried mine yet, so can't comment on how well they work but the metal is pretty heavy, sure a sub Pal gun won't damage anything other than the decals.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/r ... -p8663072e

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:42 pm 

Thanks guys, I'll check that one at princess auto. I've seen the same one online and it gets the same feedback, weak inconsistent targets.

I do prefer the magnetic ones, call me lazy.