Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:01 am 

I also posted in the Wanted to Buy section, the air rifle I am looking for.

The 2 main Canadian distributors of Weihrauch have very limited stock.

D&L is not going to receive their next shipment until the spring of 2017 and it sounds like they need to comply with the UN Engraving rules. There seem to be some issues at this time.

Specialty Shooting Sports Outdoors has 3-4 left in stock. I do not think they are planning on ordering more stock.

I tried Krale and they are not shipping to Canada at this time.

I have looked at having the rifle shipped from the US or going there and importing it at the border myself.

Does anyone have thought or options?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:16 am 

lastballfan wrote:
I also posted in the Wanted to Buy section, the air rifle I am looking for.

The 2 main Canadian distributors of Weihrauch have very limited stock.

D&L is not going to receive their next shipment until the spring of 2017 and it sounds like they need to comply with the UN Engraving rules. There seem to be some issues at this time.

Specialty Shooting Sports Outdoors has 3-4 left in stock. I do not think they are planning on ordering more stock.

I tried Krale and they are not shipping to Canada at this time.

I have looked at having the rifle shipped from the US or going there and importing it at the border myself.

Does anyone have thought or options?

It makes absolutely no sense for us Canadians to buy a European gun through the States unless money is no object and you absolutely positively must have that specific gun. Duty is paid on the gun as it arrives into the US, and then duty will have to be paid AGAIN when it enters Canada (it does NOT fall under NAFTA). Add the extra shipping costs, and the very unfavorable exchange rate right now, and getting a gun in Canada is a much better deal.

Krale (and the German dealers) will NOT ship an airgun, specifically a rifle, to us in Canada. This is due to UPS *NOT* allowing guns to be shipped to/within Canada (even though UPS in the States has no problem). And the postal service in the Netherlands and Germany has a SIZE limitation on packages they accept. I've gotten around this a couple of times with Krale by having them remove the stock from the action, thus allowing the length of the package to be within allowable limits. But that's not really much of an option with a brand new gun (although I did that once with Krale with a new Weihrauch springer). You might try Mundilar in Portugual... their postal service doesn't seem to have the same size limits and I did once order a new springer from them and it came without problem.

Your other option of course might be to buy used... I've got a pristine HW50S in .177 cal with nickel stainless barrel for sale posted in the for sale section. Which model have you been lusting after?

Good luck!

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:21 am 

I agree with your comments regarding bringing an airgun in from the US.

I want an HW95 in 22 caliber.

I could opt for a Diana 34 in 22 caliber - most of the specs are the same.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:13 pm 

I just checked Mundilar in Portugual. They do not have a HW95 in stock.

I did send them an e-mail asking when they might be getting another shipment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:52 pm 

Here you go.
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/?utm_so ... n=smallAOA

Click on specials, scroll down. HW95 on sale.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:03 pm 

Buy now while you can before gun prices goes up with the new UN engraving rule. (June 2017)
Everything I read this will add an additional $200 per gun which gets passed down to the buyer.
This will greatly affect cheaper guns and air guns. So a $150 gun now cost $350 crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:56 pm 

The rifle that's closest to the HW95 is a Diana280, The 34 is almost 4 feet long the 280 is about the exact same size as a 95 though with a little less power.
Check out Airgun Source for PAL versions, my 280 has been a joy, well made and very accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:11 am 
Supporting Member

I have an HW90 gas ram in .20 that I'm thinking of selling if that would be of any interest to you send me a pm.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:43 am 

jwg wrote:
Buy now while you can before gun prices goes up with the new UN engraving rule. (June 2017)
Everything I read this will add an additional $200 per gun which gets passed down to the buyer.
This will greatly affect cheaper guns and air guns. So a $150 gun now cost $350 crazy.

There's the usual fear mongering from the Canadian Shooting Sports Association about the UN engraving. Is there anything else that you have read that indicates that it will add $200 to every gun?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:01 am 

I have a HW90 already - but thanks for asking.

According to D&L:
" We have been in contact with a fellow at the CFC about the engraving. Most airgun makers use acid etch. That won't be good enough anymore. We are trying to find out if the manufacturers are willing to stamp the numbers on."

I have heard that the marking will cost anywhere from $25 to $200 per firearm. It is not clear if the manufacturer can mark them before shipment. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gun-tra ... -1.3193536).

The $200 figure is for small importers and the $25 is large importers.

This has made me buy all the airguns and powder burners that I had planned to purchase over the next 2-3 years this fall.

Mundilar did have a HW95 Luxus in stock that was not listed on their web-site. It is 0.177 and I need to get a 0.22 barrel, but it seemed like the best way to go. So, I bought that one and a HW50s as well - shipping cost 79,95€ for one rifle and only 25€ to add a second.

So overall, the HW 95 was 285€ or $400, the HW50 was 240€ or $345 and shipping was 105€ or $150. Of course, there are still the import fees to come.

Just hoping the importation goes smoothly...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:23 pm 

Read
http://www.ammoland.com/2016/09/u-n-fir ... arm-owner/
I'm shock people aren't more worried about this. On line airgun stores import their own guns.
Check UN rules on which guns need markings, you'll be shocked on the fps level.
No fear mongering here but people should be informed and not have their head in the sand.
Talk to your local gun shops and people that know.!!
I totally agree with lastballfan!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:15 pm 

jwg wrote:
Read
http://www.ammoland.com/2016/09/u-n-fir ... arm-owner/
I'm shock people aren't more worried about this.

The link leads to exactly the same report about UN engraving published by the Canadian Shooting Sports Association. Is there any other credible information that can be cited to support the contention that engraving will add $200 to the price of every gun?