Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:07 pm 

I think Nitro Piston and similar technology is relatively new - but is there a NP rifle that stand out as the most accurate under 500fps?

For all I know my own Benji Legacy could be a contender and I am quite pleased with the scope and sale price at CTire...
but want to hear user feedback on other models.

I like the NP as it is more quiet and discreet in the woods.

Also, would want one with a nice adjustable trigger...

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:46 pm 

There isn't much available to us in sub 500fps . Benji and crosman are just about the only ones available to Canadians in sub 500fps . Unless you want to get someone to retune a PAL rifle you probably already have the rifle in your hands . Now to make it more accurate is a different story.
Chinese made rifles usually suffer from the same issues, poor machining of barrel crown ,loose pivot points at barrel block ,cut piston seals from sharp edges in tube ,breech seals of poor material,and pressed steel trigger parts. All of witch can be remedied . If your barrel shows any promise ( 1/2" groups at 20 yards ) a good tune usually shrinks that group by half. Now if your barrel is bad , a call to crosman and about 40 $ gets you another go at the barrel lottery. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:47 pm 

Hobbyman2007 wrote:
... Now to make it more accurate is a different story.
Chinese made rifles usually suffer from the same issues, poor machining of barrel crown ,loose pivot points at barrel block ,cut piston seals from sharp edges in tube ,breech seals of poor material,and pressed steel trigger parts. All of witch can be remedied . If your barrel shows any promise ( 1/2" groups at 20 yards ) a good tune usually shrinks that group by half. Now if your barrel is bad , a call to crosman and about 40 $ gets you another go at the barrel lottery. :D

I think my barrel is fine, but who on this forum are known to be good tuners to do the above surgery?

I have no complaints as to my rifles' accuracy, in fact I have lots of improvement on my part to make yet :wink:
But maybe when my honeymoon with this rifle is over, I will send her for a while to an airgun spa :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:24 pm 

If it was a 700$ plus German made rifle I would think twice about doing a home tune . I would however and have home tuned all of my own rifles with some degree of success. Lubes and seals are available from lots of different places I like Air Rifle Headquarters products. Most of the work can be done with a cordless drill and some sand paper. I say dig in and enjoy . I got a tuning "bible" from Chevota here on the forum . Well written and goes into great detail with pictures. I'd be happy to pass it on as I don't think he'd mind . Send me a PM with your e mail address if interested.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:23 pm 

Thank-you! PM sent ~

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:51 am 

Plink-Panther wrote:
I think Nitro Piston and similar technology is relatively new - but is there a NP rifle that stand out as the most accurate under 500fps?

For all I know my own Benji Legacy could be a contender and I am quite pleased with the scope and sale price at CTire...
but want to hear user feedback on other models.

I like the NP as it is more quiet and discreet in the woods.

Also, would want one with a nice adjustable trigger...

I have about 8 or 10 of the NP guns. .177 and .22. They are all "older" versions, not the NP2 models. Majority are non-PAL (or are now anyway) Just about every one of them is more accurate than i am on a given day.

Even that cheap Chinese B-3 (springer) I have been playing with put 4 in to 3/4" and 5 in to 1" (called flyer). I posted a pic somewhere.

These dime sized groups you see posted here and there at 20+ yards are not the easiest thing to achieve, even in my German guns, forget the Chinese stuff. If you can shoot 1" groups at 20 or 25 yards then i would say almost any of the NP Benji type rifles will do it, including yours.

You really have to bench it with 7 or 8 types of pellets (or more) to see what it likes..AFTER you have broken the gun in with a few hundred beater pellets. I use the Grizzly cheapo's and get that over with in 45 minutes. No, not fun, incredibly boring, cock, load, shoot, 4 times a minute in to the pellet trap or sandy ground. Then tighten up whatever came loose :)

After that, drag it home, take it apart and have some real fun :)

A lot of mine have the plastic trigger which means a GTX trigger wont work (in most cases) so I'm forced to play with it myself. After the barrel, trigger is the most important thing IMHO.

I have 2 TR77NPS rifles and the low powered one wears an AR312x44 BSA scope. I like the stock, I like the scope, the medium mounts, and every now and again i can get a dime sized group at 25 yards.

The trigger is beyond bad from the factory by the way. After some work mine is safe, but barely.

I only have an indoor range (35yds max) so all i do is punch paper. Dont really give a damn about scoring, I just go for group size. I also have a couple of knock-down (pop-up) pellet trap type targets i use. I have no place to shoot outside, so have to make my own fun. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:51 am 

ITGUY wrote:
I have about 8 or 10 of the NP guns. ... Just about every one of them is more accurate than i am on a given day.

Thanks for your reply,
So of your 8 or 10 NP guns which is the most accurate?

ITGUY wrote:
No, not fun, incredibly boring, cock, load, shoot, 4 times a minute in to the pellet trap or sandy ground. Then tighten up whatever came loose :)

Like what for example? All my previous experience was with the 2240 mods 12 years ago... I'm quite the noob with this break barrel stuff :wink: :roll:

ITGUY wrote:

That is what I keep reading and and I would not have a clue what to do, other than eventually clean my bore, ... except for the part where nobody agrees how to do it!

ITGUY wrote:
The trigger is beyond bad from the factory by the way. After some work mine is safe, but barely.

That is one thing I did work on and I am happy with it now.

ITGUY wrote:
I only have an indoor range (35yds max) so all i do is punch paper.

Yeah I have 23 ft or about 7 meters indoors.

I am thinking of sending it to a forum member during the coldest of the winter for a good tune. Seems worth from a "what the heck, why not do it" perspective...

But as my title asks - I am curious which NP rirfle owners would vote asw the most accurate, out of the box or after tuning...

Thanks again for your reply

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:02 am 

Plink-Panther wrote:
ITGUY wrote:
I have about 8 or 10 of the NP guns. ... Just about every one of them is more accurate than i am on a given day.

Thanks for your reply,
So of your 8 or 10 NP guns which is the most accurate?
Benji Trail synthetic stock

ITGUY wrote:
No, not fun, incredibly boring, cock, load, shoot, 4 times a minute in to the pellet trap or sandy ground. Then tighten up whatever came loose :)

Like what for example? All my previous experience was with the 2240 mods 12 years ago... I'm quite the noob with this break barrel stuff :wink: :roll:
Stock screws usually come loose, possibly scope mounts, etc

ITGUY wrote:

That is what I keep reading and and I would not have a clue what to do, other than eventually clean my bore, ... except for the part where nobody agrees how to do it!
Pull action from stock, disassemble action, pull out gas ram, piston...clean, deburr, lube, put back together.

ITGUY wrote:

That is one thing I did work on and I am happy with it now.

ITGUY wrote:
I only have an indoor range (35yds max) so all i do is punch paper.

Yeah I have 23 ft or about 7 meters indoors.
Sorry, I was not complaining..very happy with what I have.

I am thinking of sending it to a forum member during the coldest of the winter for a good tune. Seems worth from a "what the heck, why not do it" perspective...
I'm sure you could find someone here, but you will be missing out on the real fun if you dont do it yourself, IMHO. Plus, if I slip with a dremel on my own gun, well, who cares...if i slip while working on YOUR gun, its a big deal :)

But as my title asks - I am curious which NP rirfle owners would vote asw the most accurate, out of the box or after tuning...
The synthetic stock benji...BUT my two most accurate are not NP guns...they are springers...think 77 & 97

Thanks again for your reply

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:56 am 

Thanks ITGuy, I know that took time to reply, much appreciated