Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hello from Brock Vegas!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:25 am 

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, been lurking for a short while.
I've had air rifles and pistols back in my youth (a very long time ago btw).
I missed a shot at a deer with my 6.5X55 powder burner due to a complete lack of practice on my part, so my good wife bought me a nice Daisy 953 to hone my skills. I've been having a lot of fun with this little air rifle.
Naturally, google searches led me here and I've already had a lot of questions answered about my new Daisy 953.
I'm glad to be here!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:12 pm 

Hello and nice to meet you. I have only Crosman, Slavia and RWS clones but a Daisey is in my future.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:06 pm 

You've come to the right place to glean airgun info. Welcome!!

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:11 pm 

Hi! I'm new here as well, just bought a crosman 1322 carbine /pistol and been playing with it, modding it a little. I had a 6.5x55 as well, a Swedish army rifle my dad got me when I got my hunters safety at 12 years old. It was our project we worked on together, turning it into a carbine, from the long monstrosity it was. Turned out to be a great little hunting rifle! Shot a lot of deer, and even an elk and Moose!
How about yours, was it modified when you bought it or still in its original war setup with the bayonet like mine?
Anyway, welcome and sorry for my rambling!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:18 pm 

Wesb, my 6.5X55 is a Husqvarna built M42 ('42). As such, it already has a 24" barrel, no need to cut off 5 or more inches off one of those 29" barreled beasts. It came in original mil-spec condition, but no bayonet. I used it like that for a year or two, then sporterized the maple stock. I shouldn't have because I eventually put a Ramline synthetic stock on it. I wish I would have left the original stock in full military trim. It really likes 140gr spire Hornady's and refuses to shoot the 129gr bullets, other than the cast 129's I used at reduced velocity. (big bearing surface on the cast .265 bullets)
I drilled and tapped it for weaver mounts and I have a Tasco Pronghorn 3-9X42 on it. Not the best scope on the planet but it's all I could afford at the time. I had to mill off some of the bolt handle and ball to clear the scope. It's a "bent" bolt handle on the M38's, not like the M1994's and M1996's straight bolt handle. Most of those are Carl Gustav's. Maybe someday it'll have a Canjar or Timney trigger. Thing shoots better than I can possibly aim it, an inch group at a 100 yards off the bags with the above mentioned 140 gr spires, seated out long and without a crimp in a necksized Norma case stuffed with WC867 and large bench primers.
That's why I got back into air rifle shooting--it wasn't the rifle's fault that I missed a deer LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:16 am 

Welcome!
I have had a few 6.5s. All swedish mausers. As you say, they all shot better than I can. Like you, I sporterized a few I now wish I had not. It has been my experience with swedish mausers that a good lathe-turned target crown will shrink your group sizes by half. (Really applies to any WW2-era military barrel. Some received some pretty drastic muzzle wear from cleaning)
Lots of good airgun info here and folks willing to help.
Enjoy!

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:30 pm 

Welcome Maggie's Drawers.

I-too have a 6.5x55 - Husky 23.4" standard 1942 issue. The bore is like new, but as are many, this one was 'sporterized' - someone's first attempt it looks like. It will do until I put a plastic stock on it.
I've owned it for a couple years not, but have not fired this one yet. I do have a whack of ammo loaded for testing one of these days. Over the years, I've owned and shot 1/2 dozen or so, some shoot better than others, but most shoot quite well. Since I have only $75.00 invested, it was a good deal.

Have fun with it.

My second last m96, liked the 129's, but I had re-chambered it to 6.5x68S. 120gr. and 140gr. Speer Spitzers used to disintegrate about 20yards out.

Have fun - it's a good site.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:49 am 

Sounds like you've got it fixed up into a great gun! Yeah, I know I could use some good target practice as well!
I'm in the process of converting my crosman 1322 to hpa to make it a little more practical as a grouse and rabbit gun. I've got a spare valve and the plan is to make the gun switchable back to a pumper whenever I want.
Good luck with your Daisy 953 and whatever mods you do on it! Sounds like a great little gun with the single pump and 5 shot clip.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:07 am 

Welcome!

The wife bought you a air rifle :?:
You are a lucky man :drinkers: and she's obviously a keeper :heart: