Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:49 am 

Attachment:
phantom_500_4 (800x445).jpg
phantom_500_4 (800x445).jpg [ 247.32 KiB | Viewed 2339 times ]
Hello Everyone, I'm new to air rifles and have a few questions?
Actually I really need some advice on a Crosman Phantom .22 500(Just purchased yesterday).

I've read through many threads in the forum which helped me decide to purchase the Phantom, issue is, trying to piece together what I can do to..
Get it to a safe Full power and hopefully keep it quiet?
I cycled at least 50+ rounds through it so far and I can say it is fairly accurate, but definitely underpowered and you can hear the spring rattling after every shot. It is extremely easy to cock, so no doubt the spring is underpowered.
I disassembled the rifle and took pics of the spring, piston and serial # if that helps?
Because I have my PAL, the salesman offered the the same Phantom .22/950 but for $260 + tax !! Okay so it had a scope but I could not see why it was
more than double the price?
The price of my phantom was $139 plus tax(Sail store)not exactly a deal but hopefully I can get it to be a better rifle with part upgrades and my own labour?

Any help on this would be appreciated...thanks to all in advance..

Model: CS5M22
.22 CAL
Serial # ? 915X27191

Quote:
The Devils always in the Details!!

Attachments:
phantom_500_2 (800x434).jpg
phantom_500_2 (800x434).jpg [ 304.31 KiB | Viewed 2339 times ]
File comment: Spring
phantom_500_1 (800x449).jpg
phantom_500_1 (800x449).jpg [ 259.31 KiB | Viewed 2339 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:06 am 

If I remember correctly you need a new spring. B18-00-4D is the part number.

http://store.onlinecamp.com/en/b18-00-4 ... pring.html

Recommend you get new piston seal. And deburr the receiver before reassembling.

To make it quiet you need to polish the ends of the spring. top hat and spring guide. Make a piston sleeve ( pop bottle ) and alum tape the spring guide.

A good disassembly is here and info here.

topic73899.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:30 pm 

Thanks Leadslinger

I will checkout the other thread also...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:43 pm 

260.00+ tx????......you're certainly doing the right thing by" powering up " your $139.00 500 instead of paying THAT much for a pal phantom.I think my new phantom spring was only $13.00 ......plus new seals,etc.Be sure to deburr though.At first I didn't deburr to save time and as careful as I tried to be I managed to slice the LAST piston seal I had during installation...so I deburr ALL my new guns now.:D Expect around 705fps or so with a 14.3 gr. with the new spring.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:11 pm 

leadslinger that is an awesome tear down/build up thread!!

No doubt it will save me a lot of heartache! Much appreciated...

I had substantial trouble with the trigger system(on re-assembly) yesterday, I wish I would have searched your ideas earlier!haha

thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:24 pm 

MyCrosman , yes indeed you are correct, I just couldn't pay that much for an upgraded Phantom!

If I hadn't found this forum(and others like it) I would've been tempted even further to take the "bait" , however I'm already on a tight budget
so I think Leadslingers suggestions and yours will get me very close to where I'd like to be?.

Thanks for the deburring info, I will pick up some Moly paste also. The existing lubrication is either overdone or not of a very good grade.

So as you suggest I will order new seals along with new spring and keep you all in the loop...

thanks again Guys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:49 pm 

What your trying to do is get the spring to pivot easier and dampen the metal to metal slap of the decompressing spring. If you don't want to polish the top hat or spring guide. Goto a gun shop or or hardware store and find thin SS shim washers. I used a peel washer off AR15 FH. Allowed the spring to pivot much nicer.

You'll get 700-750 with the spring.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:16 pm 

Here you go.http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=491
Give Eric at scopesandammo a call he'll set you up. I'd get a spring and a couple seals (one for future rebuilds ) and a good assortment of sand paper (wet /dry) seems to work best . Don't forget to get some shishkabob skewers /wooden dowels 10" in length so you can get to the bottom of your cylinder and debur the cocking slot and other holes. Almost forgot, did you check your piston for a bleed hole at the seal end ? Crosman does change their detuning method rather frequently it seems . Bleed hole ,short spring ,long piston or any combination of them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:32 am 

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php/crosman-questphantom-1000800-repair-kit-p-354

Eric at Scopes & Ammo

$57.00 gets you Spring, Piston, Piston Seal, Breech Seal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:55 pm 

The Phantom is a worthy air rifle for improvement. You wont be disappointed. mine was a wally world discount at 75 bucks. Spring icluding shipping another 25 and a basic 4x Centre Point at CT for 50, im all in at 150. Best deal I ever made and more in line with the US based pricing.
I dont understand why we seem to be penalized on the PAL version which is the run of the mill off the shelf model in the US.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:08 am 

LeadSlinger- I'm definitely going to look into the SS washers, I assume I would use them on the Tophat and rear spring guide ? I think I will still polish both while I'm there
and its disassembled.

Also, I was reading a "link" that a member used "Heatshrink" on the rear spring guide shaft to reduce spring sound? Do you think that's something worthy in trying also?
You mentioned Aluminum tape? But I was unable to find any reference to "how to" on this?

PS- Im going to do a barrel hone(also) like Tango suggests, just light sanding to remove all the Chinese ?? lubricants??

Thanks to the others on suggestions!! mucho appreciated!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:32 am 

coder wrote:
LeadSlinger- I'm definitely going to look into the SS washers, I assume I would use them on the Tophat and rear spring guide ? I think I will still polish both while I'm there
and its disassembled.

Also, I was reading a "link" that a member used "Heatshrink" on the rear spring guide shaft to reduce spring sound? Do you think that's something worthy in trying also?
You mentioned Aluminum tape? But I was unable to find any reference to "how to" on this?

PS- Im going to do a barrel hone(also) like Tango suggests, just light sanding to remove all the Chinese ?? lubricants??

Thanks to the others on suggestions!! mucho appreciated!!

Yeah I just peeled one in half and put it on the top hat and spring guide for the spring to twist easier. It made a huge difference. Like a hockey puck on ice.

You can try heat shrink, but I never found any thin enough not to start binding and tearing. I just use some alum tape.

Main thing I found that helped with the twang was a piston sleeve.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:40 am 

Thanks LeadSlinger

So the piston sleeve mod, is it hard to do? There seems to be limited information on this mod, I found some using plastic bottles or aluminum cans?

Which one would you use? or have used?
tx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:50 am 

coder wrote:
Thanks LeadSlinger

So the piston sleeve mod, is it hard to do? There seems to be limited information on this mod, I found some using plastic bottles or aluminum cans?

Which one would you use? or have used?
tx

Ive used both. The can got destroyed. It twisted, got tighter and the spring just chewed it up. I use a pop bottle now, but want something a bit thicker like a vinegar bottle.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:20 am 

I wonder if double sided foam would work? reinforced with industrial type adhesive? Perhaps a stupid question...or thought?

I say this because it is only really for sound dampening of the coil, but as you said, it may just chew it up?