Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:00 pm 

Quote:
Umarex USA Inc. has announced what they claim to be a major breakthrough in regulated Pre-Charged Pneumatic (PCP) air rifles: the Umarex Gauntlet. Umarex says that the Gauntlet offers the performance of $1,000+ PCPs for an MSRP of just $299.

The company tells HAM that the Umarex Gauntlet provides a huge number of consistent, powerful shots from one fill of its high capacity 13-cu. in. regulated tank. The built-in regulator delivers minimal FPS variation from shot-to-shot for long, flat shot strings—this translates directly into outstanding accuracy for hunting, Field Target competition and just-for-fun plinking.

With 70 incredibly consistent shots at 1000 FPS in .177 caliber, or 60 shots at 900 FPS in .22 caliber, the Umarex Gauntlet is said to be in a class of its own. No longer do shooters need to worry about variations in FPS due to changing tank pressure—the “shot curve” characteristic of unregulated PCP airguns, says Umarex. As long as the built-in pressure gauge shows green, Gauntlet’s regulator means FPS remains rock-steady, they say.

This multi-shot, bolt-action repeater uses economical, easily loaded interchangeable 10-shot magazines for rapid fire. One mag is supplied with the Gauntlet and additional magazines are available as accessories.

The Gauntlet’s 3,000 psi air tank is easily filled using the built-in, standard Foster quick connect fitting. For extended shooting sessions, a simple pressure release key allows the compact regulated tank to be unscrewed when pressure is low. It can be replaced with another, fully charged PCP tank for even more consistent shots, without the need to carry bulky HPA tanks or a hand pump.

http://hardairmagazine.com/news/umarex- ... rformance/

8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:02 pm 

:shock:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:10 pm 

So $300 usd is about what? $1000 CDN?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:18 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:

Currently as of today:

1 US Dollar equals
1.31 Canadian Dollar

Disclaimer

Chart of exchange rate values vary over time

U.S. $300 = C$393.58

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:37 pm 

Just my lack of humour. I'm fully aware of the exchange rate.

The gauntlet looks to be a real bargain if there is reasonable accuracy in relation to other value priced pcps. There seems to be a few new value priced airgun coming soon. Fun.

wllm995 wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:

Currently as of today:

1 US Dollar equals
1.31 Canadian Dollar

Disclaimer

Chart of exchange rate values vary over time

U.S. $300 = C$393.58

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:08 pm 

it looks very promising 8) 8)
like the way the tank is set up... 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:17 pm 

Ace wrote:

Looks like a standard 13cui 3000psi hpa tank. Cheap and highly available. If that is the case well done umarex.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:26 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Ace wrote:

Looks like a standard 13cui 3000psi hpa tank. Cheap and highly available. If that is the case well done umarex.

yes exactly what i was getting at... 8)
but not just because of the size of the tank but also how its set up within the forestock
with the fill nipple exiting out the side :supz:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:06 am 

Very interesting

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:12 am 

I wonder if that gun will ever make it into Canada. Especially with the new UN Firearms Marking Act taking effect this summer and with some airgun dealers closing shop. Maybe it would be worth picking one up in the States and bringing it in directly before that Act starts, assuming anyone in the US will have it soon.

Does anyone know if there's an issue with importing a gun, any gun, into Canada if it is NOT listed in the FRT?

(The FRT, Firearms Reference Table, is produced/maintained by the RCMP and government agencies always refer to it when determining whether or not a firearm is admissible into Canada.)

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:30 am 

Darn! Here's another reason this gun may not make it to Canada (even if we try to import one privately)...

"Its fully moderated design means the Gauntlet is incredibly quiet. Both stealthy backyard plinkers and serious hunters benefit from its ability to provide rapid, near-silent, full-power follow-up shots on demand."

Moderators/silencers/etc are highly illegal here, unfortunately. No idea how this will be viewed by the authorities.

(The Benjamin Marauder for example, has a moderator in the US and it's reported to be fairly quiet. The version available here in Canada has the baffles removed to make it legal, and LOUDER.)

Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:17 am 

niiice. but don,t worry --- give it a little time-- just like everything else-- when the idea of hiding that air tank like that catches on-- the floodgates will open.--- there will be hollow stocks with an exposed nipple for filling and many many more ingenious ideas. guaranteed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:36 pm 

pete wrote:
niiice. but don,t worry --- give it a little time-- just like everything else-- when the idea of hiding that air tank like that catches on-- the floodgates will open.--- there will be hollow stocks with an exposed nipple for filling and many many more ingenious ideas. guaranteed.

Not quite sure what you're saying there.

Many rifle models have the air cylinder tucked into the stock quite similarly. That's not a big deal (at least to me). What I DO like about this gun (from the specs) is that it's regulated, that it gets a surprisingly large number of consistent shots and that it's supposedly very quiet. And it's the quiet part (moderator) that will likely cause problems with importing it to Canada, and if that's removed, well, the attraction of it is reduced. And of course the price is very attractive for a gun with these features.

But regardless of that, I fear that we're going to see less and less guns, particularly air guns, appearing in Canada as the UN Firearms Marking Act takes effect. The cost to the importer per gun model is reportedly remarkably high and the comparatively low sales volume (to powder burners) means that the per gun cost is going to go way up, and also very likely that importers will simply not bother importing guns anymore. I understand that SSSO, one of the very best airgun dealers in Canada, is liquidating their stocks and will not be ordering any more guns. And that they will actually be closing up shop. That's really sad. They told me it was primarily because of this new UN deal that they feel the business is no longer worth pursuing.

I really hope I'm wrong and that this gun will become available in Canada and that it won't be modified to make it louder.

Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:31 pm 

sorry mtl. I thought this was a unique new design. it is for me because I never saw it before. I just did a little bit of reading about the un marking plan. sounds pretty devastating.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:48 am 

If and when it makes its way to Canada it absolutely will not be moderated.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk