Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:20 pm 

Although high end break barrel guns lock up at the breach relatively well, that's not the case with lower end ones especially with time. The small inaccuracy as a result when using a scope isn't a big deal for most people unless they're accuracy obsessed like I am. It's one of the big reasons I bought an underlever springer which gave me peace of mind.
Manufacturers like to claim their break barrel guns are as accurate as under and side lever models. If that was true why do they always put the rear open sight on the breach block instead of all the way back on the spring tube mounted on the dove tales which would make it twice as accurate? Gee, could it be because they sell millions of the less expensive to make break barrels?
I was recently given an old cheap gun with a little play in the break barrel action and terrible accuracy with a scope. So I thought I'd try an idea I had that may have been done before, I don't know.
I attached a bar to the breach block so a pistol scope or red dot sight could be mounted that wouldn't be affected by any lock up inconsistency. In this case I simply welded it on but with a better gun I would drill and tap the breach block so the rail could be screwed on. Perhaps a longer rail could support a rifle scope but it would have to be very sturdy.

Wow! I don't have a pistol scope but with this red dot sight and these old eyes I was easily shooting sub 1/2" groups at 12.5 yards.
Now all of a sudden I'm in the market for a good break barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:53 pm 

Nice idea. I did a similar mod on my diana. i used the two holes already there for the rear sight, and put a dovetail rail on. To that I mounted a red laser sight. It is deadly accurate now. Unfortunately the red laser is only visible in low light or cloudy days, but still a very big improvement.
As a side note....I would hate to be inside your brain. Your imagination must keep you awake nights. I know mine does. Cheers, and keep the ideas coming.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:47 am 

Awesome! I have been wanting to try that for a long time... nice to see it will work...

Cantilever scope mount!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:41 pm 

OK - now I understand your problem and proposed remedy. Tighten up the joint or mount the pistol scope or re-dot on

the rear sight mounting screw base with store bought or home made mounts, as Joe indicated.