Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:04 pm 

I am looking to replace the deep cycle battery in my boat. I have had the boat 3 years so I am not exactly sure how old the current battery is but it is giving some trouble. The battery is used mainly for the trolling motor and the fish finder. It is a group 27 but I have room for a group 31. I have been watching Walmart and CT for a sale but no luck yet. Plus I am not sure how long they sit on the shelf at each place so not sure how good they are. Looking at the cases at each store I am pretty sure they are made in the same factory. They are exactly the same just different stickers. Along with the size upgrade I was thinking of going to AGM.

Any one have any luck with a particular brand ? Exide has a good reputation in the US but hard to find in Canada. Let me know what works for you.

Jeff.

Make a fast friend. Adopt a greyhound.
WAGG. Waterloo Area Greyhound Group.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:18 pm 

little on the pricey side but Optima makes good batteries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:50 pm 

Good brand but they are a dual purpose battery. Good for both starting and running electronics. I am not concerned with the starting power just the amp hours and the reserve minutes.

Optima blue top Gp #31 - 1100 MCA, 75 AH and only 155 min reserve. $275.00

CT Gp #31 - 800 MCA, 105 AH and 185 min reserve. $165.00

CT AGM Gp#31 - 1000 MCA, 105 AH and 200 min reserve. $329.00

I am still not sold on the CT brand of battery. But they have good numbers.

Has anyone had any luck with Innerstate ?

Jeff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:21 pm 

Here my secret for hard to find battery's

http://www.totalbattery.com/

Best service I know call them up better and faster then the website.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:35 pm 

I had two Interstate batteries powering a larger electric bow mount trolling motor. I was less than diligent in topping them up properly at times, and despite that they never failed me. Had them for 3 years of good use before selling the boat and they never once failed, leaked or died. They held the same voltage throughout their lifetime with me. I’d buy them again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:32 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
I’ve owned and used Optima batteries for the past 20 years, one of them still in service under the hood of my current vehicle. Yes, they are pricey, and worth every penny IMHO and experience. For your deep cycle trolling application, a Blue Top is the way to go. If you want greater capacity, a large Yellow Top may also do the job. Blue tops are more robust in terms of full discharge, something best to avoid with any battery except Nickel-Cadnium. Key to longevity is your charging method - don’t cheap out on the battery charger -get one that will this trickle charge gel cell batteries with an auto shut off - these can be had for peanuts at Canadian Tire.

After 40 years of retail / service work in 12 Volt DC power systems, my recommendations are based on hands on experience.

Just my two cents worth ( no duty applied ).

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:32 am 

Avianmanor wrote:
Key to longevity is your charging method - don’t cheap out on the battery charger -get one that will this trickle charge gel cell batteries with an auto shut off - these can be had for peanuts at Canadian Tire.

excellent point i have the yellow top in one of my hot rods never had a problem... 8)
trickle charge is key... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:41 pm 

After doing some more research on the internet I found out that Interstate, Maxx (Walmart) and Motomaster Nautilus brand used to made by Johnson Controls. Then a few years ago Walmart and CT moved to an off shore manufacture. The interstate brand as far as I can tell is still made by Johnson Controls.

Interstate SRM-29 deep cycle has the most reserve power with 210 min. The cost is $187 with no core charge. It has more power than a similar group 31 in a slightly smaller size. Not an AGM but still good value.

I also agree that having a good charger is essential. I have an older Ctek 7000 smart charger, they are still for sale and still highly rated. The slower the charge the longer they will last. Keeping batteries topped up with distilled water is also a good practice. Even though the batteries are supposed to be sealed some water evaporates every time the battery is charged. Of course this does not apply sealed / AGM type batteries.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:49 pm 

If you want lasting amperage, go with 2 6volt deep cycle batteries.
Cost more though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:06 am 

Daryl wrote:
Cost more though.

Absolutely, but I wouldn’t recommend this unless you have the means of charging each 6 Volt battery separately. If one charges both batteries in series with a 12 volt charger, the current will be the same through both, ultimately undercharging one battery and overcharging the other, as the characteristics of each 6 Volt battery drift over time (assuming identical models and age). Absolutely not to be done with two different batteries. Either way, you’ll be replacing your batteries on a very regular basis charging them in series with a 12 volt charger.

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:02 am 

Avianmanor wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Cost more though.

Absolutely, but I wouldn’t recommend this unless you have the means of charging each 6 Volt battery separately. If one charges both batteries in series with a 12 volt charger, the current will be the same through both, ultimately undercharging one battery and overcharging the other, as the characteristics of each 6 Volt battery drift over time (assuming identical models and age). Absolutely not to be done with two different batteries. Either way, you’ll be replacing your batteries on a very regular basis charging them in series with a 12 volt charger.

Avianmanor

Thanks for the head's up on charging my RV's batteries.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:37 am 

RVs, Marine, Autos,

They all go through batteries allot faster when wired in series. My experience FWIW, having worked in the 12 Volt industry for 35 years.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:42 am 

This year, I refitted my boat and added new equipment https://marinewaze.com/ I had already time to experience and was satisfied. Even my wife appreciated the new purchases :) :) I think you can see the battery there....