Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:01 pm 

Hello,
I am new to this forum. This is my first post and question.
I plan to post my PAL airguns for sale here.
How do I ensure the buyer's PAL is legit?

Thank you.

David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:48 pm 

Curious about this one as well. Is the onus on the buyer or seller to establish proof? Or is it caveat emptor, with the buyer assuming the risk? Does the seller take on liability is he sells a rifle without confirming PAL...?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:16 pm 

David, What did you have to do when you purchased your PAL rated firearms? Well, whatever they seller required of you at the time of your purchase is exactly what you will have to do as a seller.

I believe you need to get from purchaser:-
PAL number
Purchaser's birth date.
PAL expiry date.
Then confirm with CFO.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:18 pm 

Guess if face-to-face transaction, purchase just need to show you his/her valid PAL.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:14 pm 

Do we need to build a PAL rated firearm transfer record based on the completed sale to let related departments know this PAL gun had been passed from one owner to the other?! And how?

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:07 pm 

No - yep yep - no record not unless are a business - and even then, not until the new bill is passed, if it does.

At this time, according to the law, for a sale on line or over the phone, you need to ask if the buyer is the holder of a valid P.A.L. If the "answer" is yes, you can

lawfully make the sale. You "MAY" use the internet to 'check' a PAL number, but you, as a private citizen are not REQUIRED to do this.

At gun shows here locally, if selling a firearm, I ask to SEE the valid PAL - after I ask If they have one. I am not sure I HAVE to actually see it according to the law, pretty sure not.

This should all be spelled out by the Canadian firearms centre but may be in language difficult to decipher.

This is how I understand the law as it pertains to TODAY - right or wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:14 pm 

I just went on the site - could not find what I wanted, of course, so will have to contact via phone, the Provincial CFO tomorrow.

I suggest you all do the same.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:20 pm 

You need their name, DOB and PAL number. You call 1 800 731 4000 and follow the prompts. And confirm it that way.

Now it's your choice how you want to do your due diligence in confirming. Ive been dealing with firearms for 20 years. Pre and post registry. Normally I takes the person word if he not hesitant to give out his PAL number when asked. Dealing with pellet guns, or NR's. F2F I'll just look at it. But most of my dealings have been online.

Now I never kept records of who I sold my firearms too, Nor made bills of sales. Ive owned well over 100 + firearms. People do not like any sort of registry.

I normally give someone a scan of my PAL with some number removed, that I give him separate. So they cannot forge it.

But a member here gave me this. Stating that this site told him this is all he needs to give. Now I crossed out his name. But everything else is what he sent me. If I didn't have a PAL, I wouldn't even know what this was.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:06 am 

FYI to confirm their license from CFP.

Its 1 800 731 4000
Prompt 1 ( for english ), 4, 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:49 pm 

Which isn't necessary - you can do that, not you must.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:50 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Which isn't necessary - you can do that, not you must.

So you are willing to risk losing all your firearms? 10s of thousand dollars in legal fees. Because you took someone word w/o proof they have a license? A private citizen IS required to ensure the person he selling to HAS a valid firearm license.

These high-powered air guns are subject to the same licence and registration requirements as a conventional firearm.

Ignorance is no excuse.

Not saying you must call but you need to do your due diligence. I just thought it would be nice and save people asking. Whats the number? By posting the # and the prompt to confirm the buyer license. Which is the current prompt since I just called this morning. To complete and start a restricted transfer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:02 pm 

Quote the section from the firearms act, leadslinger.

These are from the firearms site.

"When transferring a non-restricted firearm, the transferor (a seller or giver) may contact the CFP and request confirmation of whether the transferee (a buyer or recipient), at the time of transfer, holds a license authorizing them to acquire and possess that kind of firearm."

Telephone Transfers:

"Transfers of non-restricted firearms can be conducted without contacting the CFP, as registration is no longer required for this class of firearm. The transferor may verify that the transferee has a valid PAL by calling the CFP toll-free number (1-800-731-4000) before making a sale."

Restricted and prohibited firearms are more onerous of course.

Like you said, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:13 pm 

Well RCMP site isn't the law. And what I found out is shocking.

THIS IS the actual LAW. In the firearm Act.

Quote:
Authorization to transfer non-restricted firearms

23 A person may transfer a non-restricted firearm if, at the time of the transfer,

(a) the transferee holds a licence authorizing the transferee to acquire and possess that kind of firearm; and

(b) the transferor has no reason to believe that the transferee is not authorized to acquire and possess that kind of firearm.

So all you need to do is ask, and if they agree. That your legal obligation. But your going to need proof that you asked.

No wonder gun crime is bad. All you need to do is take a person word. I still won't accept someone word.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:19 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

Quote:

(b) the transferor has no reason to believe that the transferee is not authorized to acquire and possess that kind of firearm.

This legal wording always make me confused...

Is this (b) means if someone told you they have the PAL, you MUST believe them and trust what they told you is fact?!

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:21 pm 

YepYep wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

Quote:

This legal wording always make me confused...

Is this (b) means if someone told you they have the PAL, you MUST believe them and trust what they told you is fact?!

I guess so.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next