Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: QB Chief or Maximus
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:56 pm 

Hey all, been some time since I have messed with my air gun. Currently own a Benjamin Discovery in .177 that has been an awesome squirrel killing machine.
I am now looking to add a .22 to my collection. At first I thought, why not another Discovery since this one has been so good. But then noticed the Beeman QB Chief and the Benjamin Maximus.

I am looking for some feedback ( positives/negatives ) on both rifles. Again it will be in .22 ( in case that makes any difference).

Thanks Bill

Post subject: Re: QB Chief or Maximus
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:25 am 

The Maximus is very much like a Disco.... The Chief is more like a QB but heavier because of the larger airtube…. I think you will find that the Chief in stock form is a bit more powerful than the Maximus or another Disco.... It can certainly be modded for more power, if you're into that....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:10 am 

The QB Chief is more powerful than the Disco are you sure?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:09 am 

I cant speak for the Chief but IMO the maximus has way more aftermarket and factory available parts
if you are into modding.
I currently have four max's all in different forms, bottle fed, marauder trigger group, etc, one is hoped up to shoot
jsb 15.89 at 925fps and all are surprisingly accurate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:11 am 

The Chief does come with a built in power adjuster/hammer spring preload adjuster, so that's nice, and a degassing tool. It also has an adjustable trigger. Very nice gun imo. Not that the Maximus isn't a good choice as well.
Personally I like the looks of the chief with the wood stock. Mine's really accurate too!
Canadashootingsupply.ca has them in stock and on sale right now with their Christmas promotion. 7% off everything in store.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:57 am 

I have both and would take the Chief over the Maximus any day. Trigger in Maximus is total crap even after it's adjusted, Chief trigger can be with a bit of adjustment far better. Chief like ALL QB's I've had has some O-ring issues, easy to get and easy to fix. Power in .22 they are close to the same out of the box and over 20 ft/lbs using JSB pellets 14.3,15.89 and 18.1 gr. In.177 they also are close and just under 20 ft/lbs using several JSB pellets again. QB weighs a bit more and has the wood stock. My Chief's, both out shoot my Maximus.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:38 am 

topher1266 wrote:
I have both and would take the Chief over the Maximus any day. Trigger in Maximus is total crap even after it's adjusted, Chief trigger can be with a bit of adjustment far better. Chief like ALL QB's I've had has some O-ring issues, easy to get and easy to fix. Power in .22 they are close to the same out of the box and over 20 ft/lbs using JSB pellets 14.3,15.89 and 18.1 gr. In.177 they also are close and just under 20 ft/lbs using several JSB pellets again. QB weighs a bit more and has the wood stock. My Chief's, both out shoot my Maximus.

Where I can find O-rings (seals) for the QB Chief? Kit exist?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:45 pm 

I have both of them, I like the low fill pressures.
I don't want to do any serious mods on them.
Power is similar but if you put them side to side I think the Chief is the clear winner... kelly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:25 pm 

Here is a good thread on the Chief.... topic78154.html

Stock performance comparision…. Here was my Chief, right out of the box....

and here was my original Disco, also as purchased.... Compare the velocities using the same weight pellets....

I understand that the Disco was fitted with a stronger hammer spring a few year ago, and that it no longer has the nice bell-curves of the original version.... This would increase the velocity of the first few shots to about the same level as the Chief, with the same pellets, along with giving it the "Korean Cliff" style tune, where the first shot is the fastest (for advertising hype for the manufacturers), and the rest drop off in velocity as the pressure declines.... with a corresponding drop in shot count.... Bottom line is that there is not a lot to choose from between the two in stock form, you are more likely to see a difference between individual guns....

The trigger is nicer on the Chief, although the 2-screw mod on the Disco trigger is a huge improvement.... The Chief is significantly heavier than the Disco or Maximus, even though the air tube volume is only slightly larger.... and therefore potential shot count when tuned properly is similar…. The Chief has fewer shots than the original Disco because of the horrible tune.... but I understand that it is similar to the newer Discos (again, because of their terrible factory tune)…. At least the Chief has a preload adjuster stock....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:53 pm 

Most of the O-rings I use were purchased in a kit from a hydraulics shop, some are from a kit I got at Princess Auto. Any others Ontario shooting supply has some for the QB's.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:12 pm 

I had a Maximus and suffered from barrel droop. The stock trigger sucked, the bolt handle flicks up like most 22xx air guns.

https://www.airgundepot.com/head-to-hea ... ticle.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:52 pm 

I have usually found that the bolt handle flipping up is due to increasing the hammer strike, and the cocking pin hitting the back end of the bolt on firing.... I haven't actually seen it on a stock 22XX or Disco (never owned a Maximus)….

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:10 pm 

Wow, thanks for all the replies fellas, I am still sitting on the fence at this point though. Maybe I should hold off for a bit , save up some more $$ and look at a Marauder in .22 cal :?: .
So many choices !! lol
Bill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:33 pm 

rsterne wrote:
I have usually found that the bolt handle flipping up is due to increasing the hammer strike, and the cocking pin hitting the back end of the bolt on firing.... I haven't actually seen it on a stock 22XX or Disco (never owned a Maximus)….

Bob

Mine did it stock. First mod was switching out the trigger. 2nd was stealing one of the Wife black hair elastic. Looping it around the trigger mech and looping it around the bolt handle.

FootedShaft wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the replies fellas, I am still sitting on the fence at this point though. Maybe I should hold off for a bit , save up some more $$ and look at a Marauder in .22 cal :?: .
So many choices !! lol
Bill

Big difference in price. The 2 you're on the fence with. Are sub 300$. A Mrod is 750$

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:49 pm 

Okay, lets throw another gun into the mix. The Umarex Gauntlet in .22 cal. Looks like there are lots of good reviews online of this gun as well.
Bill