Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:07 pm 

Heard that airguns can have special requirements for scopes due to recoil, or double recoil.
I'm wondering if the Tasco 3-9x32mm .22 Riflescope w/ Rings, on sale for $40 and free shipping, would be suitable for PAL velocity airguns?
I myself would be mounting it on a Nitro NP Rifle in .22 (800 fps)...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:14 am 

I wouldn't chance it if I was you, the Tasco scopes are not ''airgun-rated'', your rifle may destroy it in the first 50 shots or so. I believe you'd be better with even a basic CenterPoint 4x32. My personnal choice would be a Hawke Vantage-series scope, I have one on a springer, never had a problem. Yes they are more expensive than your first choice, but you'll get very good glass and durability.

https://dlairgun.com/collections/hawke- ... ao-mil-dot

https://dlairgun.com/collections/hawke- ... ao-mil-dot

Of course there are other brands, so I suggest you do a bit of research, maybe contact the dealers to ask what they recommend for a springer, this way you'll get the best deal on what you really need.

My 0.02$, HTH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:25 am 

I picked up this scope last spring on the advice from mycrosman and glad I did.I was skeptical at first because of the low price. I have put thousands and thousands of shots with this scope and its still working perfect. So I bought another one for my .177.It is airgun rated so maybe that is why it is holding up.https://www.cabelas.ca/product/29065/st ... ifle-scope

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:55 am 

Thanks. Now I don't feel so bad that the Tasco, at midnight, apparently went up to $70 and minimum order before free shipping.
What sort of power are your guns rated at?
I noticed the Stoeger scope had a reviewer stating that they were told the scope was not rated for a gun above 1200fps (that was their excuse it wouldn't hold zero) and the reviewers rifle was 1400fps.
I could see that being "a thing" and if it's airgun rated wouldn't that rating be a necessary rating for high power airgun in the first place? I guess the marketing people blur the lines or the industry won't set parameters..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:39 pm 

Scarb67 wrote:
Thanks. Now I don't feel so bad that the Tasco, at midnight, apparently went up to $70 and minimum order before free shipping.
What sort of power are your guns rated at?
I noticed the Stoeger scope had a reviewer stating that they were told the scope was not rated for a gun above 1200fps (that was their excuse it wouldn't hold zero) and the reviewers rifle was 1400fps.
I could see that being "a thing" and if it's airgun rated wouldn't that rating be a necessary rating for high power airgun in the first place? I guess the marketing people blur the lines or the industry won't set parameters..

Both my guns are pal rated. 177 is 950 fps with lead and .22 is 700 fps with lead.Both have this scope and I guess sometimes an inexpensive scope is good enough.They are working fine.If I buy another air rifle I will get another one of these scopes.I guess there aren't any guarantees a scope, even an expensive scope, will be trouble free but I'd rather risk $70.00 instead of $500.00.So far so good though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 pm 

The scope does look like a deal, and I would like the option of varying the zoom. I'll look into it. Did yours come with rings? The one Rifle I would be putting it on, Benjiman Titan NP .22, will come with a scope (might be a Center Point) that reviewers were complaining about in the past. If the factory scope sucks hopefully the rings will accept the Stoeger and with clearance, as one video review showed minimal barrel clearance with a 32mm scope even though Cabela's pic of the rifle looks like there is a bit more room.
Are airgun rated scopes just build to take the reverse kickback or sturdier in general and would live on combustion rifles as well?
I might have a future home on one of those for it if so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:50 pm 

I wouldn't use any rings that came with a budget scope. They are normally cheap. I would get a 1 piece mount like this.