Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:26 pm 

The sanding truck ends up in the ditch.... Coalmont to Tulameen Road Jan. 4, 2019....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:51 pm 

This is obvious, but you really gotta be careful around turns like that, especially in a vehicle like that and in conditions like that.

Every time I see a vehicle in a ditch, I blame the driver, because they must've been not responsible enough.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:06 pm 

Could be, but the guy doesn't have the luxery of staying home, and on mountain roads it can get pretty hairy! I agree in a lot of cases its the drivers fault, but sometimes it's just the way it is and nothing you can do to stop it.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:12 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
This is obvious, but you really gotta be careful around turns like that, especially in a vehicle like that and in conditions like that.

Every time I see a vehicle in a ditch, I blame the driver, because they must've been not responsible enough.

I spun out in small cars, 4x4's and large trucks ( 5 tones ) Not always the drivers fault.

Here they reduced the speed salter/plow trucks can operate at. But someone gotta risk it, for other people safety.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 pm 

Well,

It doesn't look like anyone would've been hurt, so at least that's good. I'd be interested in watching how a vehicle like that gets recovered from a ditch.

Conditions don't get that bad around here, so just taking it slower and watching what I am doing has always worked for me. I have seen someone spin out in a pickup truck before, but judging from how many people speed on the country roads around here, I'd attribute it to that. The way I see speeders is "their ticket, not mine". I've seen police officers in the vehicles hiding around here, probably a good idea from my experience.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:34 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
Well,

It doesn't look like anyone would've been hurt, so at least that's good. I'd be interested in watching how a vehicle like that gets recovered from a ditch.

Conditions don't get that bad around here, so just taking it slower and watching what I am doing has always worked for me. I have seen someone spin out in a pickup truck before, but judging from how many people speed on the country roads around here, I'd attribute it to that. The way I see speeders is "their ticket, not mine". I've seen police officers in the vehicles hiding around here, probably a good idea from my experience.

Bigger which truck, that has feet that dig in, and pull it out. But sometimes even driving the conditions. Its just that bad out that you cannot do anything but hold on. Last week I spun out in the mountains. Just hit a covered pot hole and made me lose traction.

Day I put this in the ditch. Was coming up a very step hill. I went up/down a few times. But it was cold enough the ice was still sticky. But it got warmer and a thin layer of water made it super slippery.

The other time, again icy..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:35 pm 

Glare ice is VERY tricky to drive on. I grew up with the freezing rain storms of South Western Ontario where the aftermath showed almost a centimeter of ice coating EVERYTHING. Horrific!!
They legalized studded tires, a God's send, but for one year or two only, seems to me, because of the increased cost of road upkeep. They were.more concerned over road repairs, than civilian safety, afterall the private ins. companies and the drivers themselves, were the ones paying for auto-repairs.

Here, where the Govt. Ins. covers most accident claims, we can all use studs between Oct
and May.
Once people get used to their limitations & the stud's limitations, accident reduction and thus the government ins. payout costs drop.
They fully realize savings, even with the inceased road damage.

Last edited by Daryl on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:39 pm 

The most interesting experience I ever had on an icy road was I drove up a mountain and had no trouble at all.... I parked and got out to admire the view and promptly fell flat on my butt.... The parking lot was soooooooooo slippery I couldn't stand up without holding onto the door of the car.... and yet I drove there (and back) without incident.... :shock:

Similarly, the funniest thing I ever saw was a buddy of mine who drove into an icy parking lot at a bank.... He was driving an old '56 Chev Sedan Delivery (a station wagon with no windows) that weighed well over 2 tons.... He got out, slammed the door, and that old clunker took off across the parking lot, my buddy holding onto the bumper, trying to stop it before it hit anything expensive.... Fortunately it hit a curb and stopped before hitting any other cars.... :roll:

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:40 pm 

Amazing. Yes, you can always get unlucky, but at least it doesn't look or sound like you were ever hurt by spinning out. So that's good.

I haven't ever spun out yet, so that's good. I hope it never happens, probably will at least once or twice in the roughly at least 60 years I still hope to have before being put in the ground natural burial style and decomposing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:46 pm 

You won't make it to Valhalla if the bury you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:49 pm 

I ran out of medication. So I trekked to the Pharmacy to get a refill. I had the 4x4 in 4H, I was doing about 15 and turning right. I went to shift into 2nd gear. Back end came out, I spun around, went side way over a grassy center divider and slid in front of a police car onto the sidewalk.

Wave that I was okay, started the truck and carried on going the other way. So I slide across 2 lanes. grass center divider, and 2 lanes and on a sidewalk. Doing 15kph. Amazing how far you'll go.

Then another day I was heading to college. I drove hour 1 way. Not sure why, but should have called and told the teacher I won't make the test. Since I lived the further from the college. But decided to go. The car with the studded tires was out getting a new clutch, so I took the 4x4.... Made it to the town, made the turn to goto college back end came out again, and ditch I went... Then I called and tell them I'm going to be late. I'm in a ditch. Guess it wasn't that big since I ended up getting out..

I dunno why I live where the cold air hurts my face.

Studded tires are cats meow...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:52 pm 

Ha, it was +7 here today. strong winds though, so it made it feel colder, but god, it's like early spring.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:55 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
Ha, it was +7 here today. strong winds though, so ti made it feel colder, but god, it's like early spring.

Was -1 this morning and white out conditions in the mountains. Guess another part of NS was sheet of ice. Then coming home +3.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:11 pm 

Freezing rain late oct 99, me driving a less than year old Astro van with computerized traction control. Manitoba Highway 6 between the Easterville turn-off and Grand Rapids. There were cars trucks and god knows what else in the ditches left right and center....

Couldn't have been doing any more than 40 kph. A$$ end let go, and we spin around complete 360's at least ten times before finally stopping. Don't know how I kept her out of ditch- we really lucked out there.

I would much prefer a clutch pedal to poke to free up the wheels, over any computerized traction control out there. That -3 freezing rain has got to be the worst there is to drive on....

I've driven mountain roads like what Bob's shown, in good conditions with cars up to the task. I would not want to be driving a heavy sand spreader in freezing rain on those roads- not at all.

It has to be admitted- conditions do come up where it's absolutely better to not drive at all...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:16 pm 

Not much trouble with driving here.
20C this morning, now almost noon and sitting at 28C.
Trouble is this will end tomorrow. Back in BC tomorrow night.
The snorkeling has been great.