Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:45 pm 

I recently bought a Tuxing 4500 psi small compressor, bundled with the Super Filter and 2.17 liter CF bottle + fill station, from Airgun&Archery Fun:

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/tuxing-adju ... si-300bar/
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/high-pressu ... -pcp-pump/
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/2l-30mpa-45 ... en12245-v/
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/pcp-filling ... n-adapter/

Here are my first impressions after the setup and first fill using the compressor. Before I actually used the compressor, I did some research and found a good start-up video, made by the Chinese distributor I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuFHYE_B22E

If you notice in the video @ 0:45, they recommend 5W40 synthetic motor oil, they actually show Valvoline Durablend 5W40, this is light-duty diesel/gas engine oil. I have found Royal Purple full synthetic oil at my local CT, so I used that. I have put about 300-325 ml of oil in the base, level with the dot in the sightglass, as recommended, so I should be good for two more oil change with this quart of oil (946 ml). I didn't kept the receipt, should have, I think the quart sold for around 10-12$. I mention all of this because there was a lot of discution about the oil used in the Yong Eng compressor, it seemed rather specific. The Tuxing being very similar, I find it nice if I can find affordable and suitable oil at my local CT instead of having to order it online.

So I started to set it up, and noticed one important thing: you need to check that ALL threaded parts are tight, not just install and assemble the components. After tightening everything, I installed the water pump and checked the flow...weak. Had a look at the hoses and saw the problem: the hoses are wrapped around the cylinder for packaging, and that made a kink in the hoses, enough to cut the flow by more than half i'd say. The hose fittings are easy to remove/install with finger-tight pressure. I just cut the kinked end off and re-installed the hoses, now I got full flow!

Attachments:
IMG_5800.JPG
IMG_5800.JPG [ 152.82 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]
IMG_5799.JPG
IMG_5799.JPG [ 127.26 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]
IMG_5803.JPG
IMG_5803.JPG [ 102.63 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:46 pm 

More pictures:

Attachments:
IMG_5801.JPG
IMG_5801.JPG [ 139.08 KiB | Viewed 2682 times ]
IMG_5802.JPG
IMG_5802.JPG [ 133.44 KiB | Viewed 2682 times ]
IMG_5806.JPG
IMG_5806.JPG [ 127.63 KiB | Viewed 2682 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:11 pm 

So I was ready to make it run, so I pressed the switch, and experienced a minor issue, described here: topic82261.html

Issue solved, so finally able to check the compressor using the test plug. I adjusted the pressure stop switch to 4500 psi and started the comp., it went to 4500 within a few seconds like in the video and stopped right there. Then I plugged the filters and fill hose to one of my 48 cu.in./3000 psi regged to 850 bottle and started the compressor. Keep in mind you need to pressurize the filters, which are probably a couple hundreds cc's, before the pressure will start to build up in the tank.

None the less, starting from 0 psi and going up to 3000 psi, it took a mere 5 minutes to fill the bottle. Temperature started at 15.8°C and topped at around 38-39°C, max. recommended temp. is 60°C, as per the manual (yes, I read it :mrgreen: ) Not that it's mandatory, but I have used heat sink compound on the temperature sensor, to possibly help to transmit better the temp. changes.

Attachments:
IMG_5804.JPG
IMG_5804.JPG [ 189.8 KiB | Viewed 2674 times ]
IMG_5805.JPG
IMG_5805.JPG [ 102 KiB | Viewed 2674 times ]
IMG_5809.JPG
IMG_5809.JPG [ 200.21 KiB | Viewed 2674 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:26 pm 

The filters seem to do their job, they were impregnated with oil and water after only those 10-11 minutes of running. I also take into consideration the fact that the compressor was ''breaking up'', so maybe I'll eventually see less oil on the spent cotton cartridges. I'll also closely monitor the oil level in the comp. base. There were no bad smells or smoke, and the base got a little warm, but nothing alarming at all.

So far, very happy with this small compressor. It fulfill my humble needs quite well for now. Time will tell how reliable it is, I'll make another review after a couple months of use to report about it.

Attachments:
IMG_5817.JPG
IMG_5817.JPG [ 194.52 KiB | Viewed 2670 times ]
IMG_5818.JPG
IMG_5818.JPG [ 154.82 KiB | Viewed 2670 times ]
IMG_5828.JPG
IMG_5828.JPG [ 214.13 KiB | Viewed 2670 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:41 pm 

Nice review, thanks for sharing. That took quite a bit of water etc out, good thing you had the filters on anyway, good to see them doing their job =).
I'm impressed with your pump temp. The cheapo Vevor I have here kept getting too hot today when I was trying to fill my 2l bottle. But part of the issue is the small little pump, smaller than the Tuxing or Yong heng and like yourself the line has several kinky spots. I think a new pump and lines would help but still I'm impressed with yours. You've got it running lower than the Yong heng I had.
Congrats!
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:02 pm 

Thanks Wes!

A smooth flow path and good volume are the key to good cooling. I believe a bigger pump and hoses could help with your Vevor, but it also depends on how big the internal passages are. Also today, by pure coincidence, I remembered about a product called ''Water Wetter''. It's a product you added to your car's engine coolant fluid, and it claimed to reduce engine temp by as much as 10%. I'll do some research on that and if I find something that could be used safely in these small compressor I'll post it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:04 pm 

Sounds good =)

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk