Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: QB78D HPA shopping list
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:03 pm 

I'm loving my QB78D .22 that I recently got from AGS especially with the 3-12x40 AO scope(Amazon) I just mounted.

However, Winter is coming...
So, starting with the bulk fill fitting from the CAF store, here is the rest of my shopping list:

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/4-stage-450 ... -pump-new/
https://www.badlandspaintball.com/guard ... tball-tank
https://www.badlandspaintball.com/remot ... eck-and-qd

Thoughts, critiques, gotchas and any other helpful advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Geoff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:49 am 

I got the same pump from Wes and it has been very good. However, you should consider adding his $20 oil and water filter. I had water in my tank and green flakey corrosion on the internal brass parts of the regulator. But since I've been using the filter the tank and reg are dry. I swap out the little cotton filter and let it dry out. When dry they can be reused until the oil stain reaches the output side.

Badlands is OK, but if you can deal with month-long shipping times from china you can save money by ordering from eBay. I paid $60CDN for a tank and regulator.

If you get a regulator with Belville (sp?) washers it will allow you to set different output pressures. But you have to order one with a high pressure to begin with. I got a reg with a stated output of 1800psi. These high-pressure reg have more Belville washers inside and that gives you the option of removing some to achieve lower pressures. On Wes's advice I run mine at 1200PSI and that means I only have to pump to 2500psi which is a lot easier than pumping to 3000. If you get a Badlands reg you may be stuck at 800psi.

If you do end up with a reg with an output pressure over 800psi that remote hose wont work. They are rated at 800psi only. I use a steel braided hose to get from the tank/reg to the fill adapter. I got it from Palmer paintball. You can use the gauge on the pump to read the output pressure of the reg. Use quick disconnect fittings so you can connect the reg to the pump.

Why use pressure over CO2's 800psi? More shots per fill. If I pump to 3000psi I can get over 200 shots with the 0.35L tank and 1200psi output. Mostly I fill to 2500psi and shoot down to 1800psi and thats about 60 shots. To pump back up is 80-100 pump strokes.

I removed the check valve in the GMAC fill adapter. I think this makes the velocity more consistent and it is an unnecessary part.

The QB78 is lightweight and adding a scope make it top heavy IMO. Mounting the bottle undwe the stock really helps the balance.

Attachment:
IMG_20190715_213727.jpg
IMG_20190715_213727.jpg [ 186.93 KiB | Viewed 1937 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:01 am 

Here's some pics of my regulator WITHOUT the oil/water filter. Yikes!

topic83190.html

Here's a link to the braided hose. But they have increased prices dramatically. I paid $8US for the 4.5inch hose.
https://palmerspursuit.com/products/1-8 ... 3528538634

Paintball tanks seem to come in metric and imperial threads so beware. Paintball regs seem to come with 3000 and 5000psi burst disks. I had to order 1800psi disks from Badlands and replace the burst discs that came with the reg. the QB78 fill cap is rated to 1800psi max but I'm sure you were aware of that already.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:11 am 

Here is a pic of how I attach the output of the regulator to the pump in order to read the output pressure.

Attachment:
IMG_20190707_224410.jpg
IMG_20190707_224410.jpg [ 223.67 KiB | Viewed 1933 times ]

I've had terrible luck with the ASA on/off valve. I've replaced it three times because of leaks. One had a metal ledge inside that shreds the oring. Besides the Quick disconnect orings, these ASA adapters are the weakest link and are cheaply made. Best to not turn the valve at all. I leave the gun pressurized and only turn off the valve if I need to separate the action from the air.

I noticed that Palmer paintball has blank ASA adapter that you can order or have them drill for a custom adapter. But then there would be no valve and youd have to empty the whole tank to remove it. That kinda sucks when ur filling with a hand pump so we must tolerate the crappy asa adapters. Still these custom adapters would be sweet with holes drilled for a guage, output and an extra burst disc.

https://palmerspursuit.com/products/825 ... 53f9&_ss=r

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:46 pm 

Thanks for the rundown of your rig, that's very helpful!!
I'm going to keep this as stock as possible so I'm good with the CO2 equivalent pressure. I will check out your alternative parts though, thanks!

Cheers,
Geoff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:19 pm 

Good plan however, and correct me if wrong, but I think you need more air pressure than typical CO2 800psi to get the same velocity on the account air is a smaller molecule than Co2.

This is the thread I based my setup on... You have probably seen it but for reference.

topic79581.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:26 pm 

BTW: your QB makes a nice field target rifle so if you are interested Mission R&G has an active FT club that meets the last sunday of every month. You dont have to be a member and the range fee is $5! Perhaps youve been?

It's announced on the FT sub forum

topic83825.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:42 pm 

Thanks again for the additional links to older threads, I have read them before but I kind of keep going in circles due to links to certain parts being no longer valid. After reading through everything again I'll be revising my shopping list based on a bottle with a higher output at the reg.

Cheers'
Geoff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:45 pm 

I got some of my parts in to start my conversion buy I have a concern. The bulk fill adapter that I got from the CAF store doesn't seem to fit properly...
Attachment:
MVIMG_20191103_143402-1.jpg
MVIMG_20191103_143402-1.jpg [ 71.73 KiB | Viewed 1776 times ]

This is tightened down to the shoulder on the adapter and as you can see there are several threads still exposed. This doesn't seem safe, does it? Can anyone advise or has anyone here used this adapter on a newer QB78D?

Thanks in advance,
Geoff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:50 pm 

gbmarsh64 wrote:
I got some of my parts in to start my conversion buy I have a concern. The bulk fill adapter that I got from the CAF store doesn't seem to fit properly...
Attachment:

This is tightened down to the shoulder on the adapter and as you can see there are several threads still exposed. This doesn't seem safe, does it? Can anyone advise or has anyone here used this adapter on a newer QB78D?

Thanks in advance,
Geoff

I'm betting Dan would be pleased to discuss your issue and make it right if it's not right. POPanE to him here on the forum. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:23 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
gbmarsh64 wrote:
Attachment:

Thanks in advance,
Geoff

I'm betting Dan would be pleased to discuss your issue and make it right if it's not right. POPanE to him here on the forum. :wink:

Thanks, what's his username here? I haven't had any luck via the stores e-mail contact.

Cheers,
Geoff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:13 am 

gbmarsh64 wrote:
Thanks, what's his username here? I haven't had any luck via the stores e-mail contact.
Cheers,
Geoff

here you go
member17.html