Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:04 pm 

walther wrote:
I use like to use the Golf Analogy. I used to be a very active white water kayaker , in ww there are lot of different paddling disciplines. Big water paddling, creeking, surfing, rodeo, squirtboating , playboating river running etc.
In the end I figure out what I would be doing most and went from there. Ended up with a big water boat that surfed really well, a squirt boat , a low water playboat and a ocean specific surf kayak. The ultimate quiver.
When I had PB's and competed in ipsc , I chose cz75 after building a 45acp racegun as the cz just pointed so naturally, and with my fine tuned reloads was untouchable in accuracy , even for bullseye (annoyed a lot people who had bough fancy new beretta 92's) that a military surplus 9mm was better in every way...
Imo figure out each niche and fill it.
Cheers

:) Tee hee. Not sure where golf fits in there, but other than the golf analogy, which says, "you need more than one club to play the game," with the investment involved here, the ol' "eggs/basket" analogy applies significantly as well. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:51 pm 

vitalymezh wrote:
fishguy wrote:
vitalymezh wrote:
Just curious...
What is the subject “ultimate” gun?

I’ve had a few guys asking. I’m looking at an Anschutz 9015 One, field target version.

Ok, now the situation is more clear :shock:

I would keep the FWB and HW...
two reasons:
This new type of "skeleton" guns not look attractive aesthetically for me (not looks like a guns at all), but this question of taste of course.

But my concern is on a long term period, while HW and FWB are proven to be a life time items good for heritage, what is the future of this PCP monsters? Will they become obsolete in 10 or 20 years because of cylinder age? What airguns community think about it?

I’m trying to be selective on which guns to let go. I agree the Weihrauch and Fwb are classics that have proven themselves. I will still have others if these ones go.

I like the skeleton look of some of these ft guns personally. As far as holding up, time will tell. No reason to think that with some regular o ring changes that this gun and other pcp’s shouldn’t last a long time. Many of the air cylinders are offered as replacements by the manufacturers so should be available for a long time. I would like to think this gun could also be handed down.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:13 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
walther wrote:
I use like to use the Golf Analogy. I used to be a very active white water kayaker , in ww there are lot of different paddling disciplines. Big water paddling, creeking, surfing, rodeo, squirtboating , playboating river running etc.
In the end I figure out what I would be doing most and went from there. Ended up with a big water boat that surfed really well, a squirt boat , a low water playboat and a ocean specific surf kayak. The ultimate quiver.
When I had PB's and competed in ipsc , I chose cz75 after building a 45acp racegun as the cz just pointed so naturally, and with my fine tuned reloads was untouchable in accuracy , even for bullseye (annoyed a lot people who had bough fancy new beretta 92's) that a military surplus 9mm was better in every way...
Imo figure out each niche and fill it.
Cheers

:) Tee hee. Not sure where golf fits in there, but other than the golf analogy, which says, "you need more than one club to play the game," with the investment involved here, the ol' "eggs/basket" analogy applies significantly as well. :wink:

My old brain wandered and I forgot to compare it to a bag of golf clubs lol

Attachments:
g_wenbeer2.jpg
g_wenbeer2.jpg [ 15.04 KiB | Viewed 1051 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:17 am 

And I didn’t even realize the golf club reference wasn’t followed through.. think I sort of completed it for you in my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:47 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hey Ryan,

Thought I'd add my two cents worth (with inflation that's probably a penny's worth now) to your dilemma of thinning out the collection to fund the purchase a new, one size fits all, "ultimate" air rifle. For certain those of us with "large" collections of perhaps a dozen airguns or more (my PAL instructors, both ex-RCMP officers, owned over 100 firearms each!), tend to have a few "favorites" we pull out more often then others. Owning multiple firearms however goes beyond simple ergonomics and shooting performance -each and every rifle or pistol we purchase has some kind of special appeal, just like all those wonderful girlfriends (or boyfriends) we've had over the years.

Now, the purchase of an Anschutz 9015, well that would be like marrying a super model, (or handsome Fireman for our lady members) a fine little filly or hunk of a man that performs as swell as she/he looks. And what red blooded guy (or gal) wouldn't want that? But to coin a phrase in one of the Transporter movies, where the beautiful young Russian girl says to our hero "show me a man with a beautiful woman, and I will show you a man who is tired of making love to his wife", you might find the novelty of that one size fits all rifle will eventually wear off, and may have regrets in the future having forsaken those former love affairs.

While there certainly are a few rifles in my collection I do favor in terms of performance, each and every one I own has some kind of special appeal that had me pining for it in the first place ....... I'm emotionally attached to all of them! Unlike a real life marriage however, where one invests everything in one special lady (or man), I can have a super model rifle or two in the closet just for performance, and a little action on the side with the "regular girls" as well, ......... never a dull moment.

My advice is "don't put all your eggs in one basket", you've obviously acquired a mighty fine collection you may regret selling off in the future, to fund the purchase of an "ultimate" airgun today. Find another way to purchase the Anschutz, and once you've had the pleasure of owning the "new girl" for a while, decide then which rifles in your collection have to go.

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:56 pm 

Avianmanor wrote:
Hey Ryan,

Thought I'd add my two cents worth (with inflation that's probably a penny's worth now) to your dilemma of thinning out the collection to fund the purchase a new, one size fits all, "ultimate" air rifle. For certain those of us with "large" collections of perhaps a dozen airguns or more (my PAL instructors, both ex-RCMP officers, owned over 100 firearms each!), tend to have a few "favorites" we pull out more often then others. Owning multiple firearms however goes beyond simple ergonomics and shooting performance -each and every rifle or pistol we purchase has some kind of special appeal, just like all those wonderful girlfriends (or boyfriends) we've had over the years.

Now, the purchase of an Anschutz 9015, well that would be like marrying a super model, (or handsome Fireman for our lady members) a fine little filly or hunk of a man that performs as swell as she/he looks. And what red blooded guy (or gal) wouldn't want that? But to coin a phrase in one of the Transporter movies, where the beautiful young Russian girl says to our hero "show me a man with a beautiful woman, and I will show you a man who is tired of making love to his wife", you might find the novelty of that one size fits all rifle will eventually wear off, and may have regrets in the future having forsaken those former love affairs.

While there certainly are a few rifles in my collection I do favor in terms of performance, each and every one I own has some kind of special appeal that had me pining for it in the first place ....... I'm emotionally attached to all of them! Unlike a real life marriage however, where one invests everything in one special lady (or man), I can have a super model rifle or two in the closet just for performance, and a little action on the side with the "regular girls" as well, ......... never a dull moment.

My advice is "don't put all your eggs in one basket", you've obviously acquired a mighty fine collection you may regret selling off in the future, to fund the purchase of an "ultimate" airgun today. Find another way to purchase the Anschutz, and once you've had the pleasure of owning the "new girl" for a while, decide then which rifles in your collection have to go.

Avianmanor

I have to agree with Avianmanor here. I'm in the same boat I have two cabnets and have a hard time fitting them all in but I hate to part with any of them. I did that years ago and have alway regretted parting with too many of them. Once they are gone there gone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:29 am 

Avianmanor wrote:
Hey Ryan,

Avianmanor

Thanks for the input Aaron! I decided to sell a few off, but certainly not all. I (hopefully) carefully chose a few that I felt I wasn’t attached to for whatever reason and could let go.

I’ve only had one or two I’ve sold over the years that I truly regret. One I was able to replace with a brand new one. Time will tell if I regret any of these. Truth be told, the only gun right now that makes me giggle when I shoot it out of pure enjoyment is the FWB 300s. I held on to 2 more of them so I can still enjoy that model whenever I want.

I’ve actually raised enough money to buy the Anschutz. Now it’s a matter of opening up the purse strings to let more than $4000 go in one shot. Kinda having a hard time doing that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:18 pm 

fishguy wrote:
Now it’s a matter of opening up the purse strings to let more than $4000 go in one shot. Kinda having a hard time doing that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:55 pm 

I have been doing this slowly over the last couple of years with many of my air guns. I do not romanticize my guns, name them or anything like that. My criterion was quite simple; if it spends way too much time just sitting in my gun cabinets, its days are numbered. I have trimmed down to three TX200s, one FWB300U and my Steyr LG100. I have an ld/SS and the matching serial number in the USFT and their days are numbered too. Just do not use them.

I have been trying to use this same philosophy for the multitude of "stuff" in the house and garage. If it has not been used in the past 4 or 5 years, then probably there is a better place for it than in my house or garage.

I do not mind spending the money for something I know will get used, but have stopped holding onto things just because they are high end and people insist I will miss them. Too busy most of the time to miss "things". People I miss. Guns, I shoot and enjoy the ones I have.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:42 pm 

Hmmmm...That sounds terribly sensible. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:55 am 

Mac wrote:
I have been doing this slowly over the last couple of years with many of my air guns. I do not romanticize my guns, name them or anything like that. My criterion was quite simple; if it spends way too much time just sitting in my gun cabinets, its days are numbered. I have trimmed down to three TX200s, one FWB300U and my Steyr LG100. I have an ld/SS and the matching serial number in the USFT and their days are numbered too. Just do not use them.

I have been trying to use this same philosophy for the multitude of "stuff" in the house and garage. If it has not been used in the past 4 or 5 years, then probably there is a better place for it than in my house or garage.

I do not mind spending the money for something I know will get used, but have stopped holding onto things just because they are high end and people insist I will miss them. Too busy most of the time to miss "things". People I miss. Guns, I shoot and enjoy the ones I have.

Good philosophy Mac...totally agree :wink:
unfortunately that would never apply to gun whores.... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:49 am 

Ace wrote:

I do agree with you on that, Ace. I have never considered myself a gun guy. I like shooting and a gun is the tool I use. I do like using the very best tools, but do not have much use for ones I don't use.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:24 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Mac wrote:
Ace wrote:

I do agree with you on that, Ace. I have never considered myself a gun guy. I like shooting and a gun is the tool I use. I do like using the very best tools, but do not have much use for ones I don't use.

There's practicality, there's function ........... and then there's paying tribute to art ........... the wonderful thing about this hobby, is one can enjoy all three.

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:07 pm 

Well.... after much ado - soul searching, research, reflection.... I did not order the Anschutz 9015 One. The model I was eyeing up was going to come in at a little over $5000. That my friends is a lot of money. That’s a trip to Disney World, or a used car, or a used boat....

I couldn’t justify that kind of money without being a competitive shooter.

So I ordered a Hammerli AR20. It arrived just a couple of days ago. I have not had much time yet to get acquainted. However. I’m quite happy. It’s not the ultimate dream gun I had in mind, but likely an appropriate substitute for the money I saved.

I’ll post a bit of a review of the Hammerli soon.

Thanks everyone for the input on this.

Last edited by fishguy on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:44 pm 

Congrats

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk